(MBBO#05 Class 1) Rat-ed X-65 Murray Wildcat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the Red Band hub torn apart (my first time doing this) and the guts soaking in some de-greaser. I also found a NOS Murray front axle/bearing/cone set on ebay since the one on the bike was thrashed............just waiting for it to arrive. I also got the NOS Cheater Slick mounted up and checked for fitment issues. I'm really looking forward to the first ride.

That's one of the best parts about these build offs, we try things we have never done before. I think I can safely say that has been the occurrence on every one of mine. Looking forward to your first ride! *as in 'video'* :grin:

Wasn't all that long ago I tore my first coaster apart.
Wait till you open up a 3 speed. Always new to me too.
I second @OddJob 's sentiments. Trying new stuff every build keeps it interesting.

Carl.

I fully expect to come in last in this 'competition' but that's not the reason I'm entering. Frankly I couldn't care less about winning anything anyway, I just want to 'build' something cool and enjoy it. The skills & creativity that most of you other guys have I can't compete with anyway.

So anyway, here's a little something about the victim..........................According to the vast amount (not really I just did a quick Google search) of research I've done this X-65 is kind of a rare bird. I found it on eBay about a month ago and the seller accepted my best offer. [/URL].
I remember seeing this on eBay. I thought it was a clean bike and didn't appear to have a bunch of parts swapped out on it. I wouldn't repaint it either. I realize that I have 2 bikes entered in Build Off 5 and both have been repainted, but I'm a firm believer in saving original paint if at all possible. In the case of my 2 entries, I had to repaint them if for nothing else but my own personal enjoyment. But they really did need new paint. When I read on everyone's build page, I get the same feeling across the board that they do these restorations for their own personal satisfaction which already makes each and everyone of us a winner! Have fun with this one. Looks Great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's one of the best parts about these build offs, we try things we have never done before. I think I can safely say that has been the occurrence on every one of mine. Looking forward to your first ride! *as in 'video'* :grin:

Video? As long as you don't ask for any wheelies I guess I can accommodate. ;)

Awesome! Any Stingray progress?

I haven't touched that one yet other than to get the bearings and associated parts cleaned up and ready to go.

I remember seeing this on eBay. I thought it was a clean bike and didn't appear to have a bunch of parts swapped out on it. I wouldn't repaint it either.

Yeah, the guy was asking for the moon but he accepted a realistic offer. There's no way I'd touch the paint on this, it's only original once.

I got the rear hub reassembled, the forks on, the cranks assembled and the new (old) headbadge (thanks Jaxon) on. I discovered that the NOS front axle kit I bought has the wrong bearings/cones but the axle/nuts/washers will work. I'll have to stop by the LBS on Saturday and (hopefully) pick up some bearings. I'll just reuse the cones since they are in decent shape. Tomorrow I'm planning to get the bars/seat/sissy and pedals cleaned up and put on so once I get the front wheel back together it will time for the test ride.

I was able to get a little done Friday afternoon but spent most of the day working on my car. I was able to get the seat/sissy cleaned up and installed. I also got the pedals cleaned up about as good as can be expected since they're white and haven't exactly had an easy life. I used some hand cleaner, a brush and some hot water..........they look good enough for me. Tomorrow (ok, later today) I'll get the grips and bars cleaned up and installed then all that's left is the front wheel bearings and chain. It's getting close, then on to the Stingray.

Finally was able to get the chain on and pick up some new bearings for the front wheel and promptly noticed the hub is cracked. :mad: I decided to use the front wheel from my Stingray project instead of repairing the cheap-o Murray one so I got that torn apart and the Schwinn bearings are now soaking in the de-greaser. I already had the new bearings in the Murray wheel and ready to go when I noticed the damage so I decided that a short ride up and down the street (hopefully) wouldn't kill me. The bike rides great, it has a much different feel than my '64 Stingray. As soon as the bearings come out of the juice I'll get the tube and tire switched over and installed. Then, after a shakedown, final cleaning and waxing it'll be finished. :whew: Then it's on to tackle the '65 Stingray. Since I'm sticking the Stingray front wheel on the Murray I'm leaning towards a Fastback wheel for the Schwinn project...........I'm hoping it will give the illusion of an even fatter Slick on the back with the skinnier wheel/tire on the front. Any opinions?

I'm leaning towards a Fastback wheel for the Schwinn project...........I'm hoping it will give the illusion of an even fatter Slick on the back with the skinnier wheel/tire on the front. Any opinions?
:113:

Luke.

I'm becoming more and more irritated by this (and bicycles in general) by the minute. After the whole cracked hub ordeal of last week I tore apart a nice Schwinn front wheel to clean the bearings. I let them soak all weekend and this afternoon was planning to switch out the tire on the Schwinn wheel (dry rotted) with the supercool™ Carlisle Zephyr Flyte tire on the Murray. Things did not go as planned. :mad: Despite the fact that both tires are labelled as 20 x 1.75 there is no freaking way the Carlisle will fit on the Schwinn wheel. I am not known for being patient or having an easy-going temper. It took all I had not to throw that wheel out in the middle of the street and beat the snot out of it with a 2 lb sledgehammer. After wrestling with it for about thirty minutes I threw in the towel and ordered a new tire like the one on my '64 Stingray so I know it will fit. Now I get to wait on the mailman for another week to deliver the package. :rolleyes:

Please excuse me while I go smash something..............

bluto.gif

Don't get discouraged!

The tire sizes between Schwinn and the rest of the manufacturers aren't the same. 20 x 1 3/4 for Schwinn is not the same as 20 x 1.75 for Murray bikes. I know the decimals should be the same, but they aren't :D

Someone will be able to explain the difference, I don't know it well enough. I bet there is something on the Sheldon Brown site though.

I'm becoming more and more irritated by this (and bicycles in general) by the minute. After the whole cracked hub ordeal of last week I tore apart a nice Schwinn front wheel to clean the bearings. I let them soak all weekend and this afternoon was planning to switch out the tire on the Schwinn wheel (dry rotted) with the supercool™ Carlisle Zephyr Flyte tire on the Murray. Things did not go as planned. :mad: Despite the fact that both tires are labelled as 20 x 1.75 there is no freaking way the Carlisle will fit on the Schwinn wheel. I am not known for being patient or having an easy-going temper. It took all I had not to throw that wheel out in the middle of the street and beat the snot out of it with a 2 lb sledgehammer. After wrestling with it for about thirty minutes I threw in the towel and ordered a new tire like the one on my '64 Stingray so I know it will fit. Now I get to wait on the mailman for another week to deliver the package. :rolleyes:

Please excuse me while I go smash something..............

bluto.gif
Your stingray wheel should be a 20x 1 3/4. Not the same as a 20x 1.75.
The schwinn tires will be labeled s7 for the front tires. And the same on the rear for girls bikes and junior stingrays and typhoons.

Don't get discouraged!

The tire sizes between Schwinn and the rest of the manufacturers aren't the same. 20 x 2 3/4 for Schwinn is not the same as 20 x 1.75 for Murray bikes. I know the decimals should be the same, but they aren't :D

Someone will be able to explain the difference, I don't know it well enough. I bet there is something on the Sheldon Brown site though.

The S7 wheels are 419mm vs 406 for a normal 20 inch wheel. 20X1 3/8 wheels are 451mm.

Sheldon's site has a chart of every bicycle wheel size there is and which tires fit them.

Ah! The pesky Schwinn tire dilemma strikes again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back