(MBBO#05 Class 1) Rat-ed X-65 Murray Wildcat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, let me state for the record I know basically nothing about building bicycles but I did recently partially restore a '64 Stingray and have been bitten by the Muscle Bike bug. For years I've admired them and wanted one (or ten) but just never got around to seriously looking for one. I fully expect to come in last in this 'competition' but that's not the reason I'm entering. Frankly I couldn't care less about winning anything anyway, I just want to 'build' something cool and enjoy it. The skills & creativity that most of you other guys have I can't compete with anyway.

So anyway, here's a little something about the victim..........................According to the vast amount (not really I just did a quick Google search) of research I've done this X-65 is kind of a rare bird. I found it on eBay about a month ago and the seller accepted my best offer. It's in decent shape but you can tell maintenance wasn't high on the priority list of the former owner(s). This Murray will not be a full on restoration/repaint. I will take it apart, clean/polish/refurbish, put it back together and most importantly, ride it. The work will start soon, I'm just waiting for my new work stand to arrive, I'll post plenty photo updates along the way but like I said, don't expect anything ground breaking or earth shattering.

BTW, I need a head badge for this thing, if anyone had one please let me know.

X-65_zpshfrqzqiz.jpg

s-l1600_zpsns13zlfl.jpg

You can see my other entry into the MBBO here.....................Radioactive Heap '65 Stingray.

That bike looks great! I'll bet it's all original. That's because the handle grips don't show any scuffs, nor does the seat. The pedals look like the ones that came with it, and they don't look like they ever hit the pavement. The paint also looks very good, no repaint needed! The forks are straight, which is unusual for a boy's bike that old. The cleanness of the wheels makes me think it was kept inside a house. Very nice!

This 65 Wildcat has similar paint trim as yours, so the head badge may look like this:
wildcat656_zps68ef44c3.jpg

Last edited:
by%2Bjove.jpg

That bike looks great! I'll bet it's all original. That's because the handle grips don't show any scuffs, nor does the seat. The pedals look like the ones that came with it, and they don't look like they ever hit the pavement. The paint also looks very good, no repaint needed! The forks are straight, which is unusual for a boy's bike that old. The cleanness of the wheels makes me think it was kept inside a house. Very nice!

This 65 Wildcat has similar paint trim as yours, so the head badge may look like this:

What tire is that on the rear wheel?

I'm not exactly sure, I'll check it out and let you know. I'm pretty sure they are the original tires.

That bike looks great! I'll bet it's all original.

Yeah, I'm almost certain it's all original as well. That is the badge I need. A member here offered me a similar one but in a different color. If I cant find a red one I may get it from him.

I'm not exactly sure, I'll check it out and let you know. I'm pretty sure they are the original tires.

Yeah, I'm almost certain it's all original as well. That is the badge I need. A member here offered me a similar one but in a different color. If I cant find a red one I may get it from him.

OK I found a red one for you. Sending PM

What tire is that on the rear wheel?

Sorry it too so long to answer you, the bike has been buried behind a bunch of other junk for the last two weeks. It's a 20 x 2.125 but it looks smaller. There's no manufacturers name on the side, it just says 'Made In Taiwan'. I've got an old slick I'll probably put on it and hang this one on the wall since it's a little dry rotted. The front tire is a Carlisle Zephyr Flyte 20 x 1.75, that one is staying as it is in fantastic shape.................and really cool looking.

Bring on the progress!

OK, but only because you asked nicely. I finally was able to get it all torn down and ready to work on. The bearings and other assorted small parts are now soaking in some de-greaser. Sometime in the next couple of days I'll get the bars and some of the parts for my Stingray build into the oxalic acid bath. I quickly cleaned up a small spot on the top tube and it's easy to tell this thing will be supershiny™ once I really get at it and then throw on a coat of Meguiar's.

Spent about 6 hours out in the garage Saturday afternoon, the majority of the time getting my car ready to go to the upholsterers Monday morning. By the time I finished I was dead tired but since I was already filthy I decided it was the perfect time to clean the frame up. I scrubbed all the old grease and grime away and also took a wire wheel to the bearing cups. Next up, rebuilding the Red Band hub out back and servicing the bearings up front.

Latest posts

Back