(MBBO#05 class 1)"Tissue Damage" Sears Spyder-Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tissue damage is what happens when you're bit by a spider, especially one as nasty as this one...
20160508_202529_1.jpg

I'll be stripping it down tomorrow to assess the damage!

Because of overcrowding I've had to move to the underground storage and work area, or the basement...
20160901_084752.jpg

My work stand is out in the garage with a columbia 61 special on it so I'll be using ratchet straps for the spyder...
20160901_084813.jpg

I guess i should state my goals for this build. I want a muscle bike I can really ride. I have a 20 inch spyder, a thunder road, and even a huffy bandit bit they're all just too small to really ride.

This spyder has a 24 inch rear and a 26 inch front! With five gears it should be very rideable. Plus...
20160901_084825.jpg

Two rear brakes!! I'll really be able to lay down some rubber!

My goal is a stock rideable muscle bike with the shiny parts shiny again, gears and brakes working like they should. I hope to save the paint but I'm not sure. Its prett rough.

I've got my supplies gathered...a gallon of wd40 and a bag if steel wool, so here I go!

Well, crap...after getting the wheels off and looking at the tires under a good light they are both 24's. :( It's a 1.75 in the back and a 1 3/8 in the front.
I'm starting to think i should have named it "lock jaw" because that's what happens when you get tetanus! This beast is rusty. Only the pedals are giving me real trouble so far. I really need to save them, so I'll be soaking the threads with PB.
I'll get some tear down pics shortly...

It's mostly tore down. I think the wheels are toast, I think the bars are toast and maybe the sissy bar. I have another front wheel that will work and i thought I had a rear but I'm not sure about it.
20160901_101735.jpg

20160901_101658.jpg

The seat has to be saved. Its in good shape but funky. Im gonna get some goof-off on it...
20160901_101628.jpg

Here's some shots of the rusty frame...
20160901_101614.jpg

20160901_101605.jpg

20160901_101558.jpg

Looks like there is a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle rust there, but I bet you can break the parts loose and clean them up!

The pedals can be taken apart if you get them loose, I have restored a few pairs and can help if needed.

And, if you decide on a color change, I have green Troxel seats like that for sale.

Good luck with it!

Looks like there is a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle rust there, but I bet you can break the parts loose and clean them up!

The pedals can be taken apart if you get them loose, I have restored a few pairs and can help if needed.

And, if you decide on a color change, I have green Troxel seats like that for sale.

Good luck with it!
Thanks! I'm gonna stick with the blue.

The frame is gonna get repainted. I was hoping to save the original paint but the rear stays are too rusty. There's gonna be bondo involved!

The pedals refuse to come off. I'm taking drastic measures tomorrow. I'm afraid the crank is gonna meet the cut off Wheel! I want to run a longer crank anyway. Otherwise, I've come up with better wheels, apes, and sissy bar. Waiting on rubber, then it will be all about paint!

Please don't toss ANYTHING! If you decide you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands.

For rust that bad: Oxalic Acid. (Wood bleach). Soak it for a day, and bam! Rust gone. But your chrome if probably gone too, so the next step is up to you.

I restored one for MBBO4, so if you have questions, ask.

Did you ever find a chain guard for it?

Crash:
I got a chainguard from the ebay (the one you told me about). The crusty bars got swapped for an identical set off my other spyder.

I thought about the oxalic acid for the frame but the stays are really toasty. I'm not looking for it to be like new when I'm done but i think theres gonna be a little too much patina there.

Dont worry about me tossing anything. I'm a hardcore hoarder. The only stuff that makes it to the scrapyard is Chinese parts!

Not much progress here yet. I took Crash's advice and I'm gonna dunk the frame and sissy bar and some other parts in the oxalic acid. I'm just waiting on that to get here.
I got the correct freewheel tool and got the freewheel off. The pie plate is gonna get an acid bath...
20160906_181139.jpg

I got a rear wheel that's rim is identical to the original but the hub is different. I think it will work tho...
20160906_180807.jpg

The original tires were Sears Allstate tires. I couldn't find any on the ebay. I couldn't find any old school slicks either. I settled for a pair (I only need one!) of Goodyear Wingfoot tire. It looks good...
20160906_180929.jpg

Front tire is on the way..kenda 24 x 1 1/4.

More progress this weekend...I get the pedals Off, one way or the other!

Latest posts

Back