(MBBO#05 Class-2) '68 Junior 7...Looks Like it's Done.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used for a rig few years ago... in a clutch needed dual chucks to work a piece...
I like saving old air tools... generally have decent barrings and tolerances ...
Easy to center off drill press head..
Yep ^^ on the lathe its a breeze
1474593528341-1717553791.jpg

You don't have to do the drill method, Luke...you have a lathe. Much more stable platform to sand and polish :thumbsup:

Jason
Oh yeah... Forgot about that! :21: I also very rarely use Alloy pieces, I'm not set up to weld it, and I pretty much modify everything I use...

Luke.

Oh yeah lathe would be nice. Not bad in the drill if you can get them running straight but the front one of these was kind of wobbly no matter how I tightened it on there.

Having had to get through powdercoating then polishing the aluminum hoop from last year's build, that's a special kind of nightmare I don't wish on anyone. Yet you keep doing it. You're obviously sadistic.

These were just paint so not too bad. Getting it easy on this one. Had to sand all the paint off just to make it difficult enough. We all have our special madness...:21:...I was actually thinking of you when I was cleaning the axles.

Actually kept the lube/re-assembly fairly neat...for me.

hubs2.jpg

Then here's the before and after.

hubs3.jpg

Got the spokes here already. Would be nice to wait for a day off but I might chip away at it a little at a time on these work days. Did the polish yesterday and assembly today.

You are a Polishing Machine. Those look great!!
What ^ ! Nice work Chad, you are the shiny king!:41:
Nice job! :41:

Thank you fellas!

Started putting the front wheel together and realized I had botched the spoke order. Also even though the front rim was shiny there were some visible machining grooves so had give it some time in the sanding sink.

hoops4.jpg

Did 150-1200 grit. Then a quick polish.

hoops5.jpg

That's better. Got the right length spokes and got the wheels built.

wheels1.jpg

All done.

wheels.jpg

All greased up with the Parks grease and adjusted. Hoops tightened up nice. I think I may need some low profile brake pads. Will probably go with some salmon colored ones.

Thank you guys!

Give some feedback in the Quandro hubs, have you used them before? I've been looking at them as well as ebay Chinese sealed hubs. $30 or so a set sounds pretty good.

This is my first set but they seem fine. These are just loose ball hubs. I'm sure some sealed ones would be even nicer. They spin nice and smooth with the fresh Park grease in them.

Had to slap these on the bike for a test run. Had the kid take some pics with my phone.

wheels3.jpg

wheels4.jpg

Out having some fun with all of our gears..:happy:

wheels2.jpg

Just had to flip some spacers around in the back for the brake. Still need to trim the cables and finish reaming the head tube for the threadless fork. I think that's all I need to do before I can paint...:39:

Last edited:
Thank you Fellas!

Made some progress today. My friend messaged me back and said I could use his blast cabinet so I had to tear her down.

paint1.jpg

Was hoping I had used the good sram chain with a master link. Sure enough.

chain.jpg

Blast cabinet works nice. Was a little awkward with the frame inside the cabinet. Got her pretty clean though.

paint2.jpg

Did a little bit of filing on the welds. These were rough.

paint3.jpg

paint4.jpg

Might have to slap on some paint tomorow.

Thank you Fellas!

Made some progress today. My friend messaged me back and said I could use his blast cabinet so I had to tear her down.

View attachment 35793

Was hoping I had used the good sram chain with a master link. Sure enough.

View attachment 35794

Blast cabinet works nice. Was a little awkward with the frame inside the cabinet. Got her pretty clean though.

View attachment 35795

Did a little bit of filing on the welds. These were rough.

View attachment 35796

View attachment 35797

Might have to slap on some paint tomorow.
Sure is nice to have a friend with a blast cabinet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure is nice to have a friend with a blast cabinet.

It is indeed. If I did another frame though I'd do a chemical strip first. Was tight trying to get to every spot on the frame. Chain guard was fun though and only took a few minutes.

Any painting progress, Chad? Your little guy is gonna have one sweet ride when this is done!

Oh yes...thank you for the reminder. Wanted to get this out in the nice Indian summer air to cure up a bit,

Only a tiny bit of clear on it. I'll ad the decals next week and then hose it down with the rest of the clear.
paint7.jpg

paint5.jpg

paint6.jpg

The black is kind of nice. It's Duplicolor metallic black. The charcoal is a Chrysler color. The usual rattle can monkey business.

Hoping this color scheme will help blend the black bits in with the shiny bits.

Latest posts

Back