(MBBO#05 Class 2) GET SMART!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer on the paint peel but like what you got going on there with the black.

Thank you for the stickers!! Put one right on the old tool box. Never get tired of staring at the Decoluxe.

trm.jpg

The "I feel you brother" button is missing srry..
I hate when that happens, but I'm sure you'll take care of it.
Bummer on the paint peel but like what you got going on there with the black.
Thank you for the stickers!! Put one right on the old tool box. Never get tired of staring at the Decoluxe.
Thanks guys. I touched it up and it's not noticeable at all unless you're looking very close.
Glad you like the stickers Chad!

Here's a tip that I discovered. The front tire was very tight going on the rim so when I started to take it back off for paint, it was giving me a terrible fight. It occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to pry it back on without scrapping some paint from the edge of the rim so I decided that it would be best to leave it on the rim.
So I deflated the tire, tucked some tape behind the edge and then painted it. After the paint dried I removed the tape and re-inflated the tire. Easy!
101_2208.jpg

Here's a tip that I discovered. The front tire was very tight going on the rim so when I started to take it back off for paint, it was giving me a terrible fight. It occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to pry it back on without scrapping some paint from the edge of the rim so I decided that it would be best to leave it on the rim.
So I deflated the tire, tucked some tape behind the edge and then painted it. After the paint dried I removed the tape and re-inflated the tire. Easy!

Here's a screen capture from one of my posts on the HAMB, it's a great alternative to taping up the tire and having to deal with the sticky residue......................

How%20To%20Paint%20Your%20Wheels_zpsult1ulcw.png

The taller apes that I got from American Vintage Bicycle Supply are just what I needed! There's no need for the tall stem now, so I chose this adjustable alloy one. It looks very similar to the crank arms and the adjustability is a bonus.

I decided that since this is a wheelie bike, the extra length of the steer tube on the fork would help keep the stress down from yanking back on the bars. So I made a spacer from aluminum tubing to make up the difference in the length. It's essentially a tall washer. It visually matches the thick alloy seat tube also.

101_2216.jpg

As they say, one thing leads to another. I tried a standard kickstand and discovered that the lower 'drag link' is right in the way. I found a rear axel mount stand on a junk bike and tried it. It didn't work either.
So the only option left was to spend more hours modifying another one-off part. My initial plan for a simple and quick build keeps dragging me in for more and more fabrication. :doh:

I failed to take a before photo before jumping in but here's one from the web.
View attachment 37623

All of that just for a kickstand!:blackeye::whew:

ahh...there's that kickstand...we're using the same one alright. thanks for the 'mounting' tip. :happy:
I like the way it splays out like that
:thumbsup:
F.

I'm thinking that a short length of poly cord could be wedged in-between the deflated tire bead and the rim, thereby holding the rubber and any masking paper away from the area to be painted. Same idea as the playing cards, but you'll have to decide for yourselves which is easier. Call it my rope trick.

These build-off competitions are great for hurrying up and finishing but they also cause you to hurry up to finish.:wondering:

In my haste to finish up I decided to skip a step on the sissy bar. During the mock-up test rides I used a couple of clamps for the seat mounts and had planned to make some permanent mounting tabs later. With time running out I thought the clamps would be good enough.

I finished reassembling everything last night and took it out for the first test ride. It didn't make it out of the driveway before they slid down. I tried tightening them more but it didn't help.

So now I get to take it back apart and get these tabs welded on tomorrow. Should've done it from the start.:blackeye:
101_2223.JPG

...Nice detail on the chain guard mount! Very elegante'
Paint really pops in the sun. You have some graphics planned for this one?
The graphics for the chain guard was taken from the bikes logo on the original livery.
This is how the original logo looked:
P1010879.JPG

I updated it a little and added the X in the star since it is now an 'X-SmartBike' from the short lived bicycle sharing program in Washington DC.
101_2220.jpg

The seat mounting tabs are now at one with the sissy bar.
The much hated body work is done. The prime/wet sand and paint is done. The re-do is done!
This is the only picture I stopped to take today.
101_2228.jpg

FINAL final assembly will hopefully be done tomorrow.:whew:

The graphics for the chain guard was taken from the bikes logo on the original livery.
This is how the original logo looked:
P1010879.JPG

I updated it a little and added the X in the star since it is now an 'X-SmartBike' from the short lived bicycle sharing program in Washington DC.
View attachment 39290
AKA... the not so smart bike??

Latest posts

Back