(MBBO#05 Class 2) GET SMART!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recovered the seat with leather. It's from the same leather coat that I used on the Decoluxe.

First I stripped it down to the pan then glued some dense grey foam in the center and sanded the edges down to get a smooth transition to the metal. Next I used the original cover for a pattern and cut a piece of fabric covered foam called Flex Foam that I found at Wal-to-Wal-Mart. Lastly I glued the leather over the foam and put the bottom pan back in place.
I didn't paint the bottom of the pan because it's a NOS seat and I liked the original paper stickers with the manufacturing date. There's some surface rust but it can't be seen unless you look under the seat anyway.

seat recover 1.jpg

There was some discussion last month started by @nateyboy about the difficulty of finding suitable replacement grommets, so I removed the original ones trying not to damage them as best as possible. It was not an easy task and the results where disappointing at best. But I was able to keep them in tact enough to reuse.
After I finished covering the seat, I drilled the leather, carefully pushed the grommets back through the holes and flared the back side as much as possible. To flare them, I tightened a 1/4-20 flat head machine screw from the back side and then followed with a round head machine screw to finish flattening it.

It's not pretty on the back, but it worked.
seat recover 2.jpg

Very cool recover on the seat. It looks like your reuse of existing worked out well!

In case one gives you a problem...

675235711bb413a9ef8c1df6d6d464f2.jpg

I picked this grommet kit up last mbbo at true value for about $10. Grommeted up in violet and torred easily enuff. Brass was fine on those.

I saw stainless 1/4" grommets at macfaddendale's...

I've been reminded this week of how I don't like body work.:13:
But it's behind me now!:dance2:
Today was in the high 70's with clear skies, so it worked out nicely to paint outside. I primed everything this morning and after lunch gave it all a final wet sand with 400 grit.
101_2194.jpg

After that I painted all of the orange. Sorry, but I didn't get any pictures before carting everything inside to keep bugs and dust off of the wet paint. I'll try to post some tomorrow evening after I get home from the AVBS swap meet.

Last edited:
Had a great time at the swap today. I didn't find any fenders so I'm going to call off the search and go sans fenders with this one. Just as well, it's painted and I'm ready to finish it up. I did get a taller set of apes from Tyler though so I'm looking forward to seeing them on the bike!

Here's the painted parts as promised!
101_2199.jpg

The photo in the shade doesn't do the color justice. Here's one in the sun:
101_2197.jpg

Had a great time at the swap today. I didn't find any fenders so I'm going to call off the search and go sans fenders with this one. Just as well, it's painted and I'm ready to finish it up. I did get a taller set of apes from Tyler though so I'm looking forward to seeing them on the bike!

Here's the painted parts as promised!
View attachment 38896

The photo in the shade doesn't do the color justice. Here's one in the sun:
View attachment 38894
Oooh, I really like that color, nicely layed!

Thanks guys! I'm glad I painted it when I did, it's been colder and windy all weekend.

Here's a small detail that I haven't shown yet.
The mounting screw needed to be half way on and off of the guard, so I made this out of some of the same tubing that I used on the Decoluxe fender braces and had it TIG welded in place after the new end was grafted on.

Before:
101_2152.JPG

During:
101_2154.JPG

After:
101_2204.jpg

Love that leather banana. I wonder how your grommet installation technique would work with a new one.

Nice detail on the chain guard mount! Very elegante'

Paint really pops in the sun. You have some graphics planned for this one? Can't wait to see the finished TRM muscle machine.

Last edited:
Very cool recover on the seat. It looks like your reuse of existing worked out well!

In case one gives you a problem...

675235711bb413a9ef8c1df6d6d464f2.jpg

I picked this grommet kit up last mbbo at true value for about $10. Grommeted up in violet and torred easily enuff. Brass was fine on those.

I saw stainless 1/4" grommets at macfaddendale's...
Have you tried these? Because the last ones I got weren't deep enough.

Have you tried these? Because the last ones I got weren't deep enough.
They worked on a stingray seat and a lowrider brand seat, and actually stayed together on first try for all 4 holes. They were thinner than the originals.so i thought they would tear, but they didnt. I want to pick up some of those stainless ones i saw at the other hardware store. They looked more solid than the light brass...

Thread in mbbo discussion has pics:

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/100581/

Last edited:
You have some graphics planned for this one? Can't wait to see the finished TRM muscle machine.
Yes, I will use the original SmartBike DC logo, but with a small twist.
A question about your mounting for paint... I'm assuming you're using some sort of bar where the seat post would go to hold the frame so you can spin it around on the stand to paint it. But how do you get it to secure?
The seat post will not come completely out of this frame. I'm sure it was designed for theft prevention when it was a public used bike. I actually wrapped tape around the tube and forced it into the frame enough to keep it from spinning and used the bike stand to rotate it while painting.

I was reminded of why I like working with patina'd paint over shiny paint.

While removing the tape for some paint details, the tape pulled some of the fresh paint with it.:mad: Murphy's Law caused it to happen in the most visible location also, the top right bar. Now I have to touch it up before the bike is even put together.:blackeye:

101_2206.jpg
101_2210.jpg

Latest posts

Back