"King 'Cuda" (1972 Ross) *4-year UPDATE!*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some major mod work done today so far...

The front fender needed cut and shaped.

oo5rXs.jpg

The cut away front is sitting on top of the new top for shape reference.

uvpTo0.jpg

The result. The braces are slightly higher up than what would be on an original look (Please see the reference pic in the first post). However, moving them close to the edge would leave two holes. I could cover the old holes with some chrome tape, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be that picky.

Ry1bBT.jpg

Next was drilling the fork to accept a brake. I bought a new set of 1080's from Porkchop BMX. I bought rears for my last two 26" Muscle Bike builds, and I've always used an original front brake. However, with the size of this front tire, I had to go with a longer reach.

4Ac3Cl.jpg

The result:

Mj3ECk.jpg

And then the brace in the back needed to be able to accept the brake. I had to put everything together to ensure a correct angle.

The result:

jLB28v.jpg

Tonight I've got to get a few bolts to tap in to mount some parts, then the frame will be ready to get it's shifter mount modification.

Mod progress for the day...

Tapped in the mounting screw hole for the derailleur. I couldn't use the standard clamp because it would have pushed the axle too far forward. I was off just a hair, so had to open up the mouth a bit to allow the axle to slide in.

Kbc0BI.jpg

Tapped in the mounting screw hole for the front of the chain guard.

hhh8r9.jpg

Before trying the guard I had to put the drive train together. That's when I remembered that the sprocket is for a single speed chain, since all Barracuda's are 3-speeds. This is the result of using a multi-speed chain.

hQbT0a.jpg

The rear derailleur really hates single speed chains. You can force them through, but not without problems. So, it's easier to...

JN7NTE.jpg

I forgot to take an after pic, but you'll see the chain sitting properly in a few pictures.

I found another problem associated with making a single speed bike into a multi-speed. The chain, in 5th gear, rubs the middle bar.

2UR3JN.jpg

When I installed the guard I found that the rear mounting bolt actually pushed in on the chain.

pareyM.jpg

So I took it all apart and pounded down that part of the frame, flattening it out, then smoothing it with a grinder.

O2hXtj.jpg

All back together to find that it's now got plenty of clearance.

JKFLFx.jpg

I ground down the rear mounting bolt so it stayed clear.

The guard has a very small tolerance, and was rubbing on the crank a lot, and the chain up front. I had to do a number of tweaks and files, but it's all clear now.

bGuHur.jpg

So, here's the drive train, all ready to go.

Ht1HOA.jpg

Next I'm going to get the shifter mounts done.

Pretty cool that you can run a chain guard with a multi speed freewheel. I'm sure you had to make many adjustments to get that full travel without rubbing.

And I've never seen someone grind down the teeth on a chain ring to fit the 3/32 chain. But, I guess that's possible as well. If it runs rough, they do make 3/32 chain rings for one piece cranks as an option.

Pretty cool that you can run a chain guard with a multi speed freewheel. I'm sure you had to make many adjustments to get that full travel without rubbing.

And I've never seen someone grind down the teeth on a chain ring to fit the 3/32 chain. But, I guess that's possible as well. If it runs rough, they do make 3/32 chain rings for one piece cranks as an option.
A lot of multi speed muscle bikes used chain guards. And a they also used 3/32 sprockets. The Huffy I built last year, for instance, didn't need the modification, just the correct sprocket. In this case, I want to use the correct sprocket to get the correct look for the bike. Barracuda's used this specific sprocket only. So, grinding was the only way I could achieve the correct look and the correct performance. I ran it a few times and made additional grinding adjustments to the teeth to ensure it ran smooth through the entire stroke.

Great progress CRASH. The front fender is looking pretty close. If you could get it a bit lower it would be closer but You've pretty much got the look going...:thumbsup:
You're going to invoke my OCD and make me change it, aren't you? I'm already changing the chain because I decided to go with black/brown since the silver didn't look original.

Well, since you are in class II you can tweak your design as much as you want. I think dual brakes on the rear as I've seen done on these frames is about as awesome as it gets. Muscle bike's gotta stop too.

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

Well, since you are in class II you can tweak your design as much as you want. I think dual brakes on the rear as I've seen done on these frames is about as awesome as it gets. Muscle bike's gotta stop too.

Carl.
I know you've said you want an all out build from me, no holds barred. Maybe someday, but that's not this build. This is, like my other 26"ers, as accurate or a larger recreation, as I can make it. Probably only Jungle Terry, the guy who's collected 60+ Barracudas and has been a great source of info for guidance on this build, might truly appreciate the attention to the small details that make this a '72, but that's what I'm trying to do...

with some small twists, of course. ie: There's no such thing as a 5-speed Barracuda, etc.

Latest posts

Back