(MBBO#05 Class-2) Mean Mr Mustard...1x9 Install Begins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son whooped me for the first time last fall...
Of course he was 16 and I was 56. We were on evenly geared bikes too, he had my Cannondale CAD2 and I was on my Schwinn Traveler.

Carl.

It's all about getting the jump sometimes...he can really sprint...I gotta shift up a few gears and crank on it usually if I'm just cruising...but it's fun..he really likes to brag when he gets ahead...he'll have to get a lot bigger before he can beat me on the top end with the aluminium Panther.

Bike looks fast already. I like the radial spoked front wheel.

Thank you OJ. The fasteners on these wheels are really cool too. They are caps that thread into the hollow axles with allen screws.

Yellow and black on a 'ray is always righteous. Very cool that you and your son ride together. Cherish it, he's got a tough row ahead of him (what with what our generation is leaving behind).

furyus

Thank you...yes hopefully things evolve well for him.

Very nice bike ! looks like a excellent rider (with a crank and chain) :giggle::113:

Thank you 1HP. Just so happens I got a sprocket today...and pedals.

Dangerously close to having a runner with no brakes....:eek:

I wanted a Scrambler sprocket like Schwinn used on the Scrambler BMX bikes.

Varsity sprockets are cheaper though.

sprocket.jpg

Easily converts into a Scrambler sprocket. Looks like this part was almost brand new. No sign of a chain ever being on the big ring.

sprocket1.jpg

Trimmed down the chain guard mount so the front of it sits lower. Bearing cup is so sticky the sprocket is just pressed up against it.

sprocket2.jpg

I think the coaster Fastbacks suffer a bit in the looks department because the chain guard is tilted back. I've whittled about as much as I could out of the mount bracket but it's close to level. Not bad.

Got cables coming from Porkchopz along with a seat clamp and stem. Had to get off of there before I found anything else I couldn't pass up.

It's all about getting the jump sometimes...he can really sprint...I gotta shift up a few gears and crank on it usually if I'm just cruising...but it's fun..he really likes to brag when he gets ahead...he'll have to get a lot bigger before he can beat me on the top end with the aluminium Panther...
Haha. We did about an 1/8th mile from a standing start. He got me by about 3 feet.
Bike is looking cool. I've never seen a Fastback in person. (I've led a sheltered life ;)) That's a 24" right?

Carl.

Great mix of new/old parts on this beauty

Haha. We did about an 1/8th mile from a standing start. He got me by about 3 feet.
Bike is looking cool. I've never seen a Fastback in person. (I've led a sheltered life ;)) That's a 24" right?

Carl.

We've never done an official drag race yet. Should find a spot for that.

The Fastbacks are 20 x1 3/8 tires slightly taller and skinnier than a regular 20 inch wheel...(451mm vs 406mm height). Frame is fairly long too. Not bad to ride for me at 5' 10".

They made a Manta Ray though that was 24 inch wheels.

1971-mantaray.jpg

Great mix of new/old parts on this beauty

Thank you brother. Got a part from you on there. Will be featured soon when I get to the sissy bar.

Fired this baby up on the stand. Free hub is extra loud and clickety. One crank of the crank arm...:)

Starting to see the advantage of this single gear monkey business. Almost no resistance in the drive line with the chain line dialed in. Used a narrow KMC chain I had bought and put on my Panther. Barely has any miles on it.

Brake cables are supposed to come in the mail today. Could be taking it for a cruise later.

Last edited:
I think I have a scrambler sprocket hanging on the wall of the shop. I'll hook you up if you need it man.

Thank you ODDER. I'll def hit you up if I need another. I do like those.

Wow. Now that's what you call a 'free' wheel!
Haha! Nice work, man.

Thank you OJ. 16t rear cog is a little ambitious with these short cranks. The kid's Scrambler has gearing that's low enough and it has a 22t rear sprocket with the same front ring so that's what I went with.

cog.jpg

Another expensive impulse buy. Loved this and couldn't find a cheaper alternative. There are actually more expensive ones out there but thought this was the coolest.

Some pics after the first ride.

fb5.jpg

Love these brakes.

brake4.jpg

fb6.jpg

Installed the new kickstand OJ got me at a swap meet. Always remember to clean your sprag on these Schwinns fellas.

sprag.jpg

Tip of the day. Large box end wrench makes a decent kickstand tool.

kickstand.jpg

Time to wait for the new gear...:)

Got some basic mockups there for sissy bar suspension. Ordered a longer repop bar so I have a smooth surface. Legs on this one are too roached for smooth suspension action.

Got some paint on the Junior today but didn't get any pics before dark.

Last edited:
Great stuff! That freewheel must be a 6 or 8 pawl, very cool! :thumbsup:
I had about the same amount of clicks from my 50 years build, but it was running 2 standard 4 pawl freewheels, so I am guessing an 8 pawl...

Luke.

Loooking great . I always like your resto-Mod(ern) builds. Think this is the first one with original style cranks though.....

Great stuff! That freewheel must be a 6 or 8 pawl, very cool! :thumbsup:
I had about the same amount of clicks from my 50 years build, but it was running 2 standard 4 pawl freewheels, so I am guessing an 8 pawl...

Luke.

Figured it was something like that with the pawls (clickety bits)...:D

Looks and sound great!!:113:

Thank you 1HP.

Loooking great . I always like your resto-Mod(ern) builds. Think this is the first one with original style cranks though.....

Thanks man!

This is the first one I've done on here in a while with 1 pc. cranks. My first build on here was stock cranks. The Lambo Orange '69 9-speed.

fb2.jpg

Love the big Mag.

macro3.jpg

Fastbacks are tough to fit longer cranks on since they're so low. Kind of kicked myself last year for not keeping the original cranks on the Huffy (Musclepunk).

Can't wait to get the 22t cog for this one...:)...hope you can see it on there. Back end could use a little something.

fb7.jpg

Figured it was something like that with the pawls (clickety bits)...:D

Thank you 1HP.

Thanks man!

This is the first one I've done on here in a while with 1 pc. cranks. My first build on here was stock cranks. The Lambo Orange '69 9-speed.

View attachment 35966

Love the big Mag.

View attachment 35967

Fastbacks are tough to fit longer cranks on since they're so low. Kind of kicked myself last year for not keeping the original cranks on the Huffy (Musclepunk).

Can't wait to get the 22t cog for this one...:)...hope you can see it on there. Back end could use a little something.

View attachment 35969
If you're looking for a little something on the back end, I've got a chromed bike muffler that might look pretty cool....;):bigsmile:

If you're looking for a little something on the back end, I've got a chromed bike muffler that might look pretty cool....;):bigsmile:

You should make that a prize for BO12 maybe..:nerd:..for something funny.

Here's a little more something for the rear. Got my cool schprocket on..:)

wolf.jpg

wolf2.jpg

Bad thing is the 22t was way too low with the 39t sprocket. It was easy pedaling but way too much of it...:whew:

Took the original 46t sprocket to work and put it on the surface grinder and took it down to 3/32 so I didn't have to buy another chain to try it.

46/22 is just about right. She's very peppy down low and has some top end if you pedal fast which is easy with the short cranks.

Had to raise the guard back up a bit but it's still about 3/4" lower at the front than original so it covers the mag more menacingly..:D..vroom!!

wolf3.jpg

This seat won't make you go vroom but it's a nice clean donor.

seat1.jpg

seat3.jpg

Pans on those always seem to be nice.

Been thinking about trying to find some yellow glitter vinyl for this if anybody knows of anything. Just can't get into the purple with this...:39:

I'm just about ready to start on the sissy suspension for this but I have to get going on the Junior. Just been screwing around. It's such an amazingly beautiful day in OH.

Had to take this out for a little sizzle. The freehub is so loud. It sounds like a real nice fishing reel. She's fun with the new gears..:)

seat2.jpg

Love these Fastbacks!

I was hoping these levers would work good with these brakes and they do.

brake5.jpg

Been thinking about trying to find some yellow glitter vinyl for this if anybody knows of anything. Just can't get into the purple with this...:39:
Looks awesome!
I have seen yellow glitter vinyl available online from over there, I will try and find you a link...

Luke.
Hmmm, not finding yellow, but plenty of gold or black options.

Try these two stores that I had bookmarked:

https://www.vinylfabricwarehouse.com/acatalog/automotive-sparkle-vinyl.html

http://www.fabricempire.com/sparkle-vinyl-fabric.aspx

I did lots of research a while back to find them, but shipping 1 yard from over there to here would have been close to $200, which is just ridiculous...

20120931046_a0a1dbdba9_z.jpg

Luke.

Hmmm, not finding yellow, but plenty of gold or black options.

Luke.

Is called or known as zodiac usually. Glitter vinyl..don't know if I've seen yellow before....

Looks like it's similar to anodized parts. Nothing listed as yellow but if you look through all the gold you'll find some.

This one's close to what I'm after. From Luke's link.

goldsparkelvinyl.jpg

Latest posts

Back