1. The forum software will be upgraded on Saturday (April 4). During this time the site may be down for a period of time to make the change. Thanks for your patience as we do the work!
    Dismiss Notice

(MBBO#05 Class-2) Mean Mr Mustard...1x9 Install Begins

Discussion in 'MBBO 2016 BIKES' started by Chad T, Sep 30, 2016.

1. KJV

KJV

Cold ride :cool:

LukeTheJoker and Chad T like this.
  2. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Worlds longest skid mark?

Luke.

KJV and Chad T like this.
  3. Muttley

Muttley

If so he's got some stiff competition. I believe that belongs to some guy who ate a 12 pack of Taco Bell bean burritos in one sitting. :eek: ;)

KJV, OddJob, Chad T and 2 others like this.
  4. Chad T

Chad T

I'd have a lot more than sissy suspension for that.

Used it for that already.

Not that but, ironically I've got a small problem with the rear brake locking and it looks like these Schwalbe Shreddas have really soft tread which is bad for skids but should work well for the intended purpose.

I also have another confession. I love muscle cars but there was a little bit different automotive inspiration with this one. Probably doesn't make a lot of sense but it is what it is..:)..I'm not saying this bike is as cool as a Ferrari it's just kind of what it made me think of. The Fastbacks remind me of Italian cars for some reason.

ferrari.jpg

done21.jpg

I was thinking of a pro street Vega while I was re-vamping the Junior. My son's original inspiration for that bike was the Farmtruck from Street Outlaws.

......but none of that has anything to do with the intended purpose of this bike.:39:

+ here's the vid in on this page so no one has to make that long scroll down page 4 to see it. It's not worth a long scroll but it is mercifully short.:p

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    metalchewy, OddJob and LukeTheJoker like this.
  5. OddJob

OddJob

That baby gets up and goes! And I like the Ferrari comparison. Brings new light to your name Mean Mr Mustard. Nice vid too. :thumbsup:

KJV, LukeTheJoker and Chad T like this.
  6. Chad T

Chad T

She's nice and quick. I suppose I get a little grandiose with the fantasizing...:21:..the whole reason I built this bike was to take it to work and use it to re-start these Auto Guided Vehicles "Robots".

I work at a printing company and they use them to move paper rolls around. They can get a fault and have to be re-set and it's a ton of walking on concrete. I was thinking about bringing a bicycle in and trying it but found this yellow Fastback at just the right time and decided to put together something purpose built.

Here she is. Ready for action. Been using it for 2 days now and it's awesome..:)..This is the view from my desk.

work.jpg

7. OddJob

OddJob

Now that, my friend, would have been a cool final pic! Dig the purpose driven build concept. :41:

LukeTheJoker, Chad T and KJV like this.
  8. RustyGold

RustyGold

Its like, 'bring a friend to work day,' everyday! :113:

Jason

9. Chad T

Chad T

Thank you guys! The bike is a blast at work and it looks like it's going to work out nicely.

What isn't working out so nicely is the single gear. Even on smooth concrete with no wind I needs some gears..:).plus there is a big ramp to drive outside that it would be nice to be able to pedal up when it gets warm out.

Wanted to wait until after Christmas but failed miserably. Found this short cage 9 speed derailleur for a good price...was a fast ride down the slippery slope after that..:21:

rmech.jpg

Then found the matching shifter.

shifter.jpg

This 11-28 Cassette

cassette.jpg

This 9 speed chain

chain.jpg
    and finally this 42t 11 speed chain ring.

cr.jpg

Plan is to attach that ring to the original cranks with a BMX spider. Maybe a little modernish. Shooting for for flawless operation with this setup...but I hope it looks okay...was going to get a black alum and a chrome spider and see which one looks best.

Got another hoop coming that's 32h. If I could have found a 28h cassette hub for a decent price I could have re-used the one I have but at 9 bucks per hoop It's cheaper just to go to 32h.

I won't order spokes until I have the new hoop and hub in my hands tho....just waiting for the parts now. Hope to get everything ready and do a quick swap sometime after Christmas.

LukeTheJoker, OddJob and metalchewy like this.
  10. OddJob

OddJob

Looks like Chad's back at it again! Try that chain on the chain ring before you go too far....might be a little sloppy. Should be another cool custom Chad cruiser conversion!

Chad T and metalchewy like this.
  11. metalchewy

metalchewy

Another, who can't leave well enuff alone. Hehe.

That 1x10 I put on sassy makes a world of difference over the one speed. I get lazy and find myself sitting as I ride up the hills.

Will be a cool conversion, you will like it!.

12. Chad T

Chad T

Dang it! You're right as usual OJ...see below.

Thank you chewy, people don't know what they're missing with the gears. The 1x setups are getting well sorted and cheaper. The one speed was fun though....until you wanna go a different speed...:giggle:

Couldn't find a lot of info on the narrow/wide ring with the 9 speed chain other than guys had tried it and it worked ok.

If I only had a piece of 9, 10 and 11 speed chain and a narrow/wide chain ring I could get to the bottom of this...:39:

chain5.jpg

chain1.jpg

chain2.jpg

Pics tell the story. 9 speed outer link ID is too wide to take advantage of the wide teeth on the N/W ring.

chain6.jpg

chain3.jpg

10 speed chain fits the ring as tight if not tighter than the 11-speed.

chain4.jpg

Test fit that 10-speed section of chain to the same 9-speed cassette that I will be using and it fits on the cogs with room to spare so gonna have to get 10 speed chain to go with this ringy ding.

...and I need a piece of index shift housing..:39:...I think I've got the cable stops sorted..:39::39:

Can't see a good reason to use the 9 speed chain at all really.? It would probably work fine with this but kind of defeats the purpose of the narrow/wide tooth ring.

Got a 10 speed chain on the way. Maybe I can use the 9 speed chain with a 7-speed sometime.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    metalchewy and OddJob like this.
  13. Chad T

Chad T

Wasn't expecting to see a lot of parts her until after Christmas but since some of them have arrived I thought I'd get a pic of the pile so far. Merry Christmas everybody!

xmas.jpg

metalchewy, OddJob and RustyGold like this.
  14. OddJob

OddJob

Merry Christmas Chad! Will the new chain ring bolt on to your current crank I'm assuming? Maybe put this in the Winter Build Off....unfinished builds...or in your case and mine "upgraded" builds. My parts pile for my 1x conversion of Mesa Buggie looks similar, only more retro: Shimano thumb shifter, 6 speed cassette, Eagle rear der, 1 pc BB conversion kit, and disc brake adapter / Avid BB5 lever, caliper, disc. I will be picking your brain on the mounting secrets of the disc brake system....

Chad T likes this.
  15. Chad T

Chad T

Hey Merry Chrismas buddy! With the ring I plan to use a 5x110 bmx spider that will attach the 11 speed ring to the original cranks. Cheap way to do it and a little more retro than 3 pc cranks.

I have 2 options on the way.

This one.

[​IMG]

or this one.

[​IMG]

Toying with the idea of trying the 39t Varsity sprocket too...:39:...but that 11 speed ring should provide some smooth operation at the far ends of the cassette.

Those should be arriving with the spokes any minute....:)

Going to go for a rapid one weekend turnaround on this once the wheel is built. Was considering posting it up as a 1x9 conversion how to tho. Looks like the 9 speed chain is something to be avoided even with a 9 speed. Design of the 1x chains changed to a much simpler design with the 10 and 11 speed chains.

Will be interesting to see the retro setup. Hopefully you got a 6 speed with some decent range for the off road machine?

The disc mounting is simpler than you'd think. Just gotta keep in mind where it's going to try and shove the axle when it grabs the rotor. Sounds like some fun tinkering.

Still waiting on cable housing as I mistakenly ordered another inner cable...:(

LukeTheJoker, metalchewy and OddJob like this.
  16. Chad T

Chad T

Got to do some playing with this yesterday.

wheel1.jpg

Got the wheel assembled.

wheel2.jpg

Will have to bring the bike home this weekend and do the swap..

metalchewy and LukeTheJoker like this.
  17. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

So cool!

Chad T likes this.