(MBBO#05 Class-2) Mean Mr Mustard...1x9 Install Begins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I got this off of another RRB member last week.....

20160930_171730[1].jpg

Thought about just doing a Class-1 clean up but one look at the bead-less S5 rims had me wanting to have a look at some wheel sets...:39:...going to convert it from a coaster brake into a single speed with rim brakes.

Found some 451mm BMX wheels with cassette freehub deal. Gonna put some dual pivot calipers like I did on my '69 9-speed Fastback.

Wheels and tires are ordered and on the way. Tires are coming from the UK so hopefully not too long of a wait on those.

Will be interesting to try a single gear with good brakes front and rear....Not getting too wild with this. It wont get painted during this build off if ever. Just kind of a fun little rat to play with.

I have a purple Pete seat kit that might be cool on this but I think this seat might be worth saving? Looks like it's a real Cotton Ghost/Grey Picker seat and it's in decent shape. Little hard for my tender rear end though...:p

Well I got this off of another RRB member last week.....

View attachment 35004

Thought about just doing a Class-1 clean up but one look at the bead-less S5 rims had me wanting to have a look at some wheel sets...:39:...going to convert it from a coaster brake into a single speed with rim brakes.

Found some 451mm BMX wheels with cassette freehub deal. Gonna put some dual pivot calipers like I did on my '69 9-speed Fastback.

Wheels and tires are ordered and on the way. Tires are coming from the UK so hopefully not too long of a wait on those.

Will be interesting to try a single gear with good brakes front and rear....Not getting too wild with this. It wont get painted during this build off if ever. Just kind of a fun little rat to play with.

I have a purple Pete seat kit that might be cool on this but I think this seat might be worth saving? Looks like it's a real Cotton Ghost/Grey Picker seat and it's in decent shape. Little hard for my tender rear end though...:p
Alright another Fastback in the mix!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you fellas.

Some early mockups. Not a big fan of the '70-on Schwinn apes so I tried a set of early wide Stingray apes on for size. lots of room for brake levers and wide grips.

fb1.jpg

Trying to use up some things I already have on hand. Had these levers left over from another build.

lever1.jpg

Have a set of Weinmanns that would have been on a '70 Fastback too but leaning towards the Dia Compes. They go good with those grips

lever2.jpg

These wheels are on the way. $39 seemed pretty good for this set. They come with a 16t cog.

wheels1.jpg

wheels4.jpg

wheels2.jpg

wheels3.jpg

Looks like double butted spokes too. I like the fact that they're 28 spoke wheels. Same as a Fastback except Fastbacks didn't have radially laced front wheels...:p

Awesome stuff! This should be a quick and light bike!

Only issue I see is I seem to remember putting 451's on my BMX back in school and had to run road bike brakes to get a short enough reach?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, it was a 20 years and a few head injuries/concussions ago...

Luke.

So I had been messaging @OddJob about some handlebars....he said the ones he had were kinked and beyond repair but then a few days later sends me this pic and says he's at a swap meet..:)

index.php

..and here's what I got yesterday.

69.jpg

and that's a before pic..no polishing yet...:p.. maybe should have inquired about that layback post....:39:...Thank's OJ!!!...:41:

Tires arrived amazingly fast from the UK. Got a 20 1 3/8 set of these.

s-l300.jpg

Not very far along for this point in the BO....hopefully this will be fairly simple.

fb2.jpg

Chad, glad to hear the parts arrived on time! Good doing business with you. And I have the seller's contact info, if there's any 'second thoughts' .....:bigsmile:

Looks like you have most of the parts needed!

Luke.

Except for wheels, pedals and cables. I need to see those wheels before I get tubes. It looks like those could possibly be for presta valves.

Chad, glad to hear the parts arrived on time! Good doing business with you. And I have the seller's contact info, if there's any 'second thoughts' .....:bigsmile:

Thank you so much for snagging those goodies for me. Really awesome.

Did a little fiddling on this today.

Had this FSA cartridge bearing headset left over from the "Naked Panther" from BO11.

Had to make some shims for the cups and shim the bearing on the fork.

headst.jpg

Also installed the brakes. Had to drill the holes out bigger for the recessed nuts. Drilled the holes so the recessed nut is just snug in the hole.

brake2.jpg

Same on the back except had to drill one of the washer deals too.

brake1.jpg

These brakes work pretty good. Lot more power than a regular side pull.

brake3.jpg

Can't wait to see how they feel with these levers. Levers fit great on the new bars too.

lever3.jpg

Bottom bracket bearings are soaking in some WD40. Got a Continental sprocket on the way I'm going to take apart for the 39 tooth "Scrambler" sprocket. I think that might be just right with the 16t rear cog. Might try it with the stock sprocket first but could be a bit tall with 46 teeth on it.

Nice job on the retro-fitting. I think your 39 t ring should provide a decent single speed ratio. Especially with the 24" wheels. Should have some good top end and still have decent acceleration....you know, if you happen to drag race your son or something :21: !

Nice job on the retro-fitting. I think your 39 t ring should provide a decent single speed ratio. Especially with the 24" wheels. Should have some good top end and still have decent acceleration....you know, if you happen to drag race your son or something :21: !

It's 20 x 1 3/8 wheels so hopefully an easy cruiser.

Don't stand a chance against him with one gear. Good thing the flag ship/ king of the fleet has eleven...:D...out goofing around yesterday.

panther.jpg

Great Resto-mod stingray as always. You do great work. I want to ride all of them. :D
+1!

Luke.

Thank you fellas!..:happy:

Got the wheels today. Looks like this was a nice set of mini BMX wheels. They probably came on a bike with a max rider weight of 90 lbs.:21:

Here she is a roller. Kinda sporty.

fb4.jpg

Kid got excited and ran to get his bike. Caught him in action...:p

fb3.jpg

My son whooped me for the first time last fall...
Of course he was 16 and I was 56. We were on evenly geared bikes too, he had my Cannondale CAD2 and I was on my Schwinn Traveler.

Carl.

Yellow and black on a 'ray is always righteous. Very cool that you and your son ride together. Cherish it, he's got a tough row ahead of him (what with what our generation is leaving behind).

furyus

Latest posts

Back