(MBBO#05 Class 2) starsky and hutch "huggybear" flying o bmx turned musclebike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well I still got one more day before I can start building but I can tell you a little about what my build is going to be it once was a 1970 flying o qualifier mx which I parted out I then parted out a 1966 ross polobike and a few others that did not make the cut and therefore I have a bunch of parts I will be digging thru for my build
starting first thing tomorrow I will begin mocking up and seeing what I like and what I hate but anyways here is my starting point and my parts piles

these wheels, fenders, apes, banana seat, ect will all be used and/or modified as well as this bikes original tank plastics

and some other bits n pieces from my parts stash

that and some red and white paint and black fabric to turn this pile into something resembling starsky and hutch's torino more updates soon

well today was basically mocking up everything and seeing what works and what will not here is my basic parts choice now it is off to disassembling and painting I also forgot I had this little vroom grip from a hot wheels bike I added still a lot to do before it is even ridable but I like the general look so far still have to see if the fenders fit the tires are kinda wide but I had some wide off road tires on this bike before so at least the rear fender will fit the front I might have to modify one of my 26 inch fenders or just run without a fender I am also thinking of ditching the front forks and getting a longer pair the forks kind throw the build off so it may change
here is my progress so far it has the cat approval lol

The cat approves and i approve the cat :giggle:
That little TankTopTube is sweet!:rockout:
thanks onehorsepower the cats are actually strays that i decided to let stay theres a mama and 2 kittens and a black one that was not in the picture i also have 2 indoor cats and 2 kittens im fostering that were orphaned by their mother im kind of a crazy cat guy lol
that tank tube top was originally on the bike it's plastic and needs some repairs which is going to be part of the many hours of work i still have to do on this one if you google 1970 flying o qualifier you can see what this bike originally was it was pretty cool with a rattrap springer but this frame has seen better days so i figure why not have some fun with it and build it up differently i do have to repair the frame a little bit on the rear fender mount but it was a bmx and ridden hard if it was ridden by someone like me as a kid lol

The Vroom grip is perfect for your theme!
:rockout:

Luke.
thanks luke yeah i thought the same thing on the vroom grip it fits the build perfectly i am going to fix the needle and see if i can make the lights work again on it as well i still have a few parts im adding to this build including my dual speedo i built awhile back which now has 2 functioning speedos on it i cannot wait to get it done and actually ride it

forgot to add this is the paint theme i will be going with on this build

Attachments

• 10091_2.jpg
    10091_2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 258
well i started the paint and discovered it will take alot more prep to do it right otherwise i will have 50 shades of red and i do not want that here is what i got so far i test shot the frame and this is where i am going to need to do the most work
IMG_20160902_154352.jpg
IMG_20160902_154403.jpg

well i managed to get the pedals and the crank set off thanks to p b blaster ( that stuff never lets me down) and now i can clean them up and maybe use different pedals on this one i still have to go thru my parts pile and the junkyard and see if i have a good set if not then i will paint them the same color as i am going to make the seat i already found alot of rust issues with the chrome so the chrome will be going bye bye either white or red mostly but that could change as well now that the paint cured i can see there is aton of sanding and stripping needed for this frame so as much as it looked complete i am still wayyyy off from being done i was also considering making it a 2 speed with the front sprocket since i wil lhave a freewheel rim on the back but unsure if i want to get that far into it more updates soon

well when working on the frame i found yet another snafu there was a break on te fender support for the rear fender so i took it to my buddies house and he welded it up and it is good to go all done for tonight going to drink another henry's hard soda cherry cola ( which are awesome tastes liek cherry coke but ahs alcohol in it ) and call it a night it is 8:11 pm my time ( central us ) so time to call it a night more updates soon

That is one cool sissy bar! I hope you can save it and use it on this build.

Luke.
thanks luke yeah it is useable just not going to be chrome i will be painting it probably going to be white i ran a wire wheel over it and it cleaned up pretty good just took alot of the chrome off ut we have a saying about ross ross stands for rusted out sack of poo, if that's not allowed i will gladly take it down but that's what it stands for every ross i ever owned has rusted out badly and that sissybar is off my polobike so im not surprised it is rusted but there is no holes so it can be used it is actually quite well aligned s well we shall see what it looks like after i paint it

Latest posts

Back