(MBBO#05 Class 2) starsky and hutch "huggybear" flying o bmx turned musclebike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah no kidding but i am stripping the paint to bare metal then going to repaint it that will eliminate all the flaws in the paint
Lol, Zebra 7 was the call sign for Starsky and Hutch.

Edit: the more I think about it, maybe it was Zebra 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try white vinegar on a green 3M scrub pad. I'll bet that rust comes off. Don't need to press hard, just nice long flowing motions. If it scratches when you start, back off to using steel wool instead of the pad.
that is actually a good idea except i already chewed it up so no saving this one i am just going to paint it white with the rest of the parts but i will try that on the other parts i have that i am not painting

well another snafu the tank plastics are cracked badly and upon cleaning them i found them scratched badly on top so i might just make a custom dash on top of the tank an add a mock gas cap with a speedo in it i remember my uncles Harley having a console on he tank and it was awesome so i might do something like that with it i did get the fenders painted they look good but the front one needs some attention i ill have to use some mud on this build but just on the plastics no mud will be on the metalwork so any metal work will be true metal and not mud still have to see if i can make it all work for the console but i might go that route rather then trying to cobble this one back together i also got the paint stripped off the frame as best as it will get and had to weld the rear frame a bit i will snap some pics tomorrow i had to replace some brake lines on my van and it took me all day so tomorrow i will have pics still alot to do but so far i am right on schedule i planned for snafus since i knew this bike had a few to begin with still want to swap the front forks with something else i might get creative and build a front end then after paint comes the fun part getting the details done like the rally stripe and the zebra 3 call number on the tank top ( thanks to falstaf for the idea i love it and am going with it) more updates soon

after paint comes the fun part getting the details done like the rally stripe and the zebra 3 call number on the tank top ( thanks to falstaf for the idea i love it and am going with it) more updates soon
Yes, awesome!

Luke.

well as promised pictures of my progress the frame is as clean as i can get it i might try a little bit more but with just sandpaper it does not come off easy but the frame is smooth enough where i can work with it i also got the fenders painted there is still a little to do on the fenders mainly the front one i have to smooth it out and do some cleaning on it i also got the chain guard painted but i still have some work to do on it
i also have pictures of the damaged plastics i am fixing like i said a lot of work to do but still trying to contemplate a few ideas like how to mont brakes and how to make my console i am thinking of doing more updates soon
chainguard.jpg

chainguard.jpg

fenders painted till need some touching up but they look pretty good so far
fenders painted.jpg

the frame as of now like i said it aint pretty but tis a heck of a lot cleaner then it was
frame cleanup.jpg

the repair my buddy did he is an awesome welder never seen such a clean weld before but this dude builds hot rods and knows his stuff so i did not expect anything less
frame rewelded.jpg

issue one with the tank plastics cracked on the side i think i might be able to fix that rather easily
tank crack side.jpg

this crack, however, will take some repairing it is pretty bad and the plastic has been stretched from it but i am going to be making my console here so i may just cut this part out and leave the mounting hole
tank crack.jpg

after cleaning and sanding all the jb weld off it it still looks bad so i am going to use some mud on it.but this part may be cut and/or covered anyways so im not too worried
tank scratches.jpg

i also discovered this particular bike was Murray built i found a Murray ohio i think it was decal on the frame but it is long gone now im not worried this is now a Kansas built custom so we don't need no stinking Murray sticker lol these bikes were sold as otasco which is Oklahoma tire and supply company so it's ohio built Oklahoma sold and Kansas customized man this bikes been around lol

i discovered the front fender will not fit my forks so i think since that fender is all damaged up i am going to cut the center out where it goes into the forks and just modify it for the forks i am using if this front fender was in better shape i would not do that but it is already pretty messed up so im ok with cutting it more updates soon i also still need to figure out a trick for the brakes or i may just go brake less i do not know yet option 3 would be to run a coaster rbake wheel but i really do not want to i like the wheels i have they fit the build better then my coasters i have

plans plans plans!!!! lol i been picking ym brain on the best way to remedy both my braking problem and my front fender problem and i have come to this conclusion for the brakes as Luke mentioned i will be drilling a hole in the part where my buddy welded and am going to try to run a dual rear brake setup like the sears spiders had only both brakes on the same axle which will take some redneck engineering ( got that quote from kingfish on his beer run build and loved it ever since ) i might look for some of the older sidepull calipers they used to sell at wal mart that were pre built and you could take the entire caliper off the axle without it coming apart and use 2 of those as far as the fender goes i am going to cut out the area where the fender goes into the original fork and leave just enough for the center to be mounted to the forks so it will probably stick out some on the sides in which case i may flare it to the fork but that's wishful thinking and we shall see what i come up with with that being said off to building and contemplating what will work i go might do a second mockup to make sure my modifcations will work more updates and pics soon

i shall have brakes!!!!!!!!!!! i finally got the hole drilled for the back brakes i got thru the top and my drill crapped out so i decided to use brute force and take a hammer and hammer the caliper thru the other side success!!!! it worked not sure i feel comfortable that i was able to do this but it works the caliper pictured is junk so i am not too worried about it i think the hole is a little too high but meh it will be fine after ll the spirit of rat rodding is about making it work not making it pretty once i paint it and do some bodywork it will clean up fine next step is cutting the front fender but im hesitating since i may use a different front end more updates soon
14285403_10208476150719384_61614743_o.jpg
14274559_10208476144679233_771656421_o.jpg

would like to thank Luke for the idea it was perfect if only i was a better craftsman it would look better but like i mentioned it's all about making it work not looking good im happy with it

well more complications but never a problem!!!!!!! the rear fender will not clear the caliper brakes so since the fornt fender does not fit either i think i am just going fender less i know it will probably hurt my build off votes but like i said from the beginning im not too concerned about winning im just a sideliner that is building one as well plus it has to be ride able and these fenders just will not work i might use fenders if i can find a pair but these plastic fenders are too much a pain to use between cutting them and modifying them and just having them not fit somewhere else im just going fenderless another option i may modify a couple fenders i have to make some street sweepers at least on the back fender so that's my decision either fenderless or street sweepers i will decide on that after i get all the paint and bodywork done on the bike fenders will be last decision

well mockup number 2 this time i am using my star sprocket from an old amf i parted out the color is bad but this thing is like perfectly chromed so i will polish t up and mount it correctly i also got a video to show the vroom grip works i also think i got a fender that might work its a shorty fender but it will do not sure if i will keep it though i kinda like the street sweeper fenders if i can make them
14315524_10208495047951803_1472220807_o.jpg
14315911_10208495047671796_807789689_o.jpg
14339350_10208495048071806_428463739_o.jpg
14315524_10208495047951803_1472220807_o.jpg
14315911_10208495047671796_807789689_o.jpg
14339350_10208495048071806_428463739_o.jpg
14285100_10208495047871801_2058089118_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back