(MBBO#05 Class II) 53' Lincoln Rug Burn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The little dog leg crank is cool, but I was disappointed to find a blank date code where Schwinn usually puts it, and the chrome on both pieces is pretty toasted.
7faf25874266776a90813c14814656a4.jpg
97f8bc2ca2bed319fc8ff62f2d39eb6d.jpg

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

ok so I cut the fork's tube down to fit the Lincoln, and I'm beginning to like the full length forks too. I suppose they're family both being built by Schwinn, although decades and continents separate them.
4e9550335d7af9895c6cfa40eb288c53.jpg

d8ed408ff084a04a92e2af0dc1fc5b7f.jpg

The cute little crank is probably going to go now that there's room for more, it'll stay skippy, I have a modern skippy cog coming for the hub. I also have a nice rechromed kickstand for a 26" Schwinn that looks like it'll work.

Carl.

The Hot Rod Lincoln is coming a long great. Awesome that your running skiptooth and love the new fork. I'm learning a lot watching this build have been thinking about trying metal flake this build is making me more eager too give it a try.
Thanks Bro. That's 3 speed coaster brake skip tooth!
Still thinking flake too...

Carl.

I must have missed something along the way....new wheelset? The fork really gives that bike a whole different look. Skip tooth 3 spd coaster brake hub....also very unique! Didn't know they still made new skip tooth cogs, where did you find them?

I must have missed something along the way....new wheelset? The fork really gives that bike a whole different look. Skip tooth 3 spd coaster brake hub....also very unique! Didn't know they still made new skip tooth cogs, where did you find them?
Good eye, same back wheel, I built it for this bike. Big n little just seems right for this bike now and I have to find a wheel anyway, so I borrowed one for the mockup from my other build, Interstellar Overdrive. Ichi bike has the cogs made and I got mine from eBay.

Carl.

Very cool, is there a reason for the little cut out in that cool little Skippy?
Looks like I have an other part to put on the wish list.

Very cool, is there a reason for the little cut out in that cool little Skippy?
Looks like I have an other part to put on the wish list.
I have no personal experience with skippies...but, I believe it is for lacing wheels. To be able to get the spokes in and out with the sprocket still on.

Jason

I haven't hit a wall, but I have come to an area of required thought.
I have drastically changed the geometry of this bike. Couple that with the notion that I want to be able to RIDE this bike and I've come to a couple conclusions... Choppers are wheelie machines and I'm going to need a strong and tall seat post. Now, I don't want to put wheelie bars on it. No, I don't. I also don't want to be pedaling like a nut to get it going so along with the 3 speed, I'm pretty sure I need longer crank arms. They're 4 1/2" now :21: so I've put a 6 3/4" length Schwinn one piece on it and it seems fine since the forks have raised the BB height to 11" center, except for one thing. My thighs are going to be horizontal or more at the top of the rotation (no good for my old knees) and raising the seat post enough to even begin to remedy this puts my tail well behind the center of the rear tire. Wheelie time. I just want to cruise comfortably. I have a feeling I'm going to be cutting the forks down a bit.
So my idea now is to take a couple pictures, with my camera on a tripod, of bikes I have that ride comfortably, and this little guy, then see if I can super impose them and get an vision of how the Lincoln needs to sit to be ridable for me. This should let me factor in seat height, fork length and handlebar height too.

Carl.

i think its a good idea to drop the fork , in this pic we can see you have negative trail = bad steering stability

ideally the orange line (steering axis) should point a the red line on the ground / in front of the tire contacting the ground

by dropping it should fix that issue and all others
4e9550335d7af9895c6cfa40eb288c53_zpssntqulf7.jpg
trail.jpg

Good graphics, I do know about trail, and ride a couple bikes with negative trail. It's an odd thing to get used to but I'm not boardtracking it either. ;) What I'm most concerned with using this little frame is the seat post and where my tail lands in relation to the rear axle. I need to be in front of it to keep from needing wheelie bars, and even then it's a matter of being too easy to pedal and a light front end. Lowering the fork is a possible move, but I'm not sure it will change the angular relationship between the headtube and the fork tubes, it may however move where the tire contacts the road in effect changing the trail.

Carl.

Last edited:
There is a lot of angle on that seat tube, even without the added angle from the longer forks, I wonder if you could use a lay-forward post?
You might need bars with less pull back to clear your knees if you did that though...

Luke.

There is a lot of angle on that seat tube, even without the added angle from the longer forks, I wonder if you could use a lay-forward post?
You might need bars with less pull back to clear your knees if you did that though...

Luke.
I've been thinking about taller apes too, I have a set...This is totally NOT what I originally intended.

Carl.

not sure I want to use OCC forks, cutting the head tube down is easy enough but the top of the forks have the nuts welded in.
fe120a165007d986a308a2192fe6dd96.jpg

I wonder if Fastenal would have slip/star nuts that big? (for lack of the correct term) I have a Fastenall store just a few blocks away...

Carl.

You might be able to use rubber freeze plugs in place of the welded nuts if you cut the fork down. Get the I.D. of the tube and check with your local auto parts for the right size.
41kW57JpRuL._SX355_.jpg

Latest posts

Back