(MBBO #05 Class II) Gasser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to hunt for a media blaster again. There has to be one in this city somewhere. I'll try to find powder coat shops also, they should have something to get this frame down to bare metal. But we are under a heavy rain warning so it'll have to wait. In the meantime, time for another video!

I lined it up on the frame and it needed more. I needed to put a little more bend in the bar. With no shop at my disposal, I went looking for a makeshift bender. The burglar bars on the back window did the trick, I was able to bend the top without kinking it. Then my chrome handlebar stem was the wrong size, and the only other one is this black one. It may or may not be used, I'll see how it looks when it's all together.
DSCI0007.JPG

DSCI0010.JPG

DSCI0013.JPG

I got some work done today. I cut out a new template for the tank inserts. I tried to draw flames, what a laugh! So I found a way to do it. Right off the computer!
DSCI0016.JPG
DSCI0021.JPG
The guys that do the woodcarvings and painting down at the beach said they would paint the flames on for me if I could provide a drawing of them. After a few tries, I figured out how. The templates for my new panels were thin enough to use my computer to trace them. Then I checked to see how the decals would fit in. Now to find a metal fabrication place that will cut them out of thin metal for me. Last time they cut with a grinder, that won't work this time I want a clean cut.
DSCI0023.JPG

Last edited:
I used to watch that show and play along keeping score with pen and paper. I would guess right 75% of the time and win the show.

Once I get the panels cut, they get installed and the frame painted red, or red-orange depending on what colors are available. Then it goes to get the flames painted on.

With no media blaster here, many hours of sanding and scraping on the frame is next on the agenda. But, it beats shopping with the better half. (She doesn't read my posts here of course)

Never seen that show before, but that pass was entertaining!

Luke.
I don't get that show here, so it's been a couple years. They get 3 people to try to guess the ET of different cars in the quarter mile.

I went ahead and did a partial mock up. I found that the lay back seat post put me behind the rear axle, so it was made into a regular seat post after taking out the reinforcement bar I had inside it. Then I found the handlebar stem bolt was stripped and wouldn't tighten up. But I found the hunt wilde grips I brought from the states at the bottom of the junk box.
DSCI0024.JPG

pipe.JPG

mockup - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
That seat is awesome on there!
Just perfect!

Luke.
It's got plenty of padding, I might be able to ride more than 10 minutes. It was cheap enough that I might go back and get the other one, in blue. And a new handlebar stem, I don't like the black one on there.

It's got plenty of padding, I might be able to ride more than 10 minutes. It was cheap enough that I might go back and get the other one, in blue. And a new handlebar stem, I don't like the black one on there.
See if you can find out what brand those seats are, I sure wouldn't mind one!

Luke.

I think the stem painted the frame color would be cool. Many of the earlier Klein and Marin mtb's came that way, always set them apart on the showroom floor.

Haven't been to the bike shop yet. We're in for another heavy rain event, so it'll probably be early next week. I took a look at the old panels again and I think they can be trimmed to work. So now nothing is standing in the way of getting the frame done.

DSCI0034.JPG

Latest posts

Back