(MBBO #05 Class II) Gasser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fork seat and bars are perfect for this build!
I like your plans for the tank panels too.
Nice build brother!

We have a Typhoon headed our way, so there's nothing to do but work on the frame. Lots and lots of rain through the weekend and school is already canceled for Monday! Black areas are the heaviest, 200 mm or more in 12 hours. That's where I live.
The kitchen is stocked with everything needed, so I should get it done except for paint.

14650341_1547917518567562_6372009352451397718_n.jpg

Thanks. We're set pretty well, a few miles up from the beach, so no storm surge to worry about. And between mountain ranges, winds get cut down, but we're also far enough away to avoid landslides. And the house is well above street level, so flooding shouldn't be a problem, there's the 2nd floor if need be. I've got a hand truck to get the fridge up the steps.

Thanks. We're set pretty well, a few miles up from the beach, so no storm surge to worry about. And between mountain ranges, winds get cut down, but we're also far enough away to avoid landslides. And the house is well above street level, so flooding shouldn't be a problem, there's the 2nd floor if need be. I've got a hand truck to get the fridge up the steps.
Sounds like you are all prepped, stay safe!

Luke.

Looks like the storm moved a little further north of us, so we are good for now. There's another one coming in 3 or 4 days!

I noticed the tank on the front of a lot of the Gassers. It's a fuel tank. So I need to find something like that, scaled down, to bolt up to the front brake hole in the forks. Maybe have it carry marienda (snacks) on rides. An old Calumet baking soda can painted silver would work, but I'm searching for something chrome or stainless.

1955-chevy-gasser-driver-side-front-3-quarter.jpg

Looks like the storm moved a little further north of us, so we are good for now. There's another one coming in 3 or 4 days!

I noticed the tank on the front of a lot of the Gassers. It's a fuel tank. So I need to find something like that, scaled down, to bolt up to the front brake hole in the forks. Maybe have it carry marienda (snacks) on rides. An old Calumet baking soda can painted silver would work, but I'm searching for something chrome or stainless.

1955-chevy-gasser-driver-side-front-3-quarter.jpg
Some small Thermos tins are a similar shape, also those big tins of V with the twist top might work?

Luke.

I don't get that show here, so it's been a couple years. They get 3 people to try to guess the ET of different cars in the quarter mile.

I went ahead and did a partial mock up. I found that the lay back seat post put me behind the rear axle, so it was made into a regular seat post after taking out the reinforcement bar I had inside it. Then I found the handlebar stem bolt was stripped and wouldn't tighten up. But I found the hunt wilde grips I brought from the states at the bottom of the junk box.
View attachment 35641

View attachment 35642

View attachment 35643
looks pretty good :thumbsup:
got to agree about the black stem :wink1:

how does these tube cuter works ? does it takes 200turns or its quick and ease ? i always used the grinder

looks pretty good :thumbsup:
got to agree about the black stem :wink1:

how does these tube cuter works ? does it takes 200turns or its quick and ease ? i always used the grinder

il_340x270.976648274_eklj.jpg

I like the pipecutter. You just attach it like a vise and give a few turns until it's easy to turn, add a couple turns to tighten it again, and repeat. It'a a minute or two to cut something like handlebars or seat stems, but it's easy and no shards, no mess. Maybe 50 turns, I'll count next time. And a perfectly straight cut. The inside edge will have a lip.

il_340x270.976648274_eklj.jpg

I like the pipecutter. You just attach it like a vise and give a few turns until it's easy to turn, add a couple turns to tighten it again, and repeat. It'a a minute or two to cut something like handlebars or seat stems, but it's easy and no shards, no mess. Maybe 50 turns, I'll count next time. And a perfectly straight cut. The inside edge will have a lip.
That's what I use, a good half round file will debur the inside.

Between heavy rain periods, I went to the shop, got the band brake and another seat ($3.75) for the future, in blue.
There is no manufacturer name or supplier name, and the girls at the shop didn't know anything, I had to show them where the seat was! Also got a chain, but still can't find a lock washer for the funny size cranks this bike has. I take it with me to make sure I get the right one, still no luck.
I'm going to make it a rider and ride it for a week or two, then take it back apart for paint.
parts.JPG

Change in plans, no more money can be spent on this build. Big move coming up, so the bike fund went away. I should have bought a can of red earlier, but I do have a can of green and just about everything else I need to make it happen.
lead-02-conklin-1955-chevrolet-210-front-three-quarter.jpg

Latest posts

Back