(MBBO #4 Class 2) Mustang Phatty -(FINAL MOCK UP PHOTOS)-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here ya go Carl... You got me thinking and I'm toying with knife tops for my phatty bars. This is an Italian machete. It's my favorite camp knife. It has a reversed curve on the blade. I took the basic shape and shortened it to get the length that I want. I'm not sure if I'll be going this route but once again, you got me thinking...

y5d9KYO.jpg

qC9VIv1.jpg

I won't be using these bars, they're for another build that I have in mind. I still want to weld up 1" bars with mitered joints. I'm kinda liking my new tall sissy... another 20 bucks spent...
KpLJMr7.jpg

Not too sure about the front mag. We'll see how it looks with the rear mag.
wwfJ3bH.jpg

The Boiler Shop should be getting my mags cut tomorrow. I hope!

Last edited:
:crazy2::crazy2:I really like this build! Wheel reveal will be really cool! (say that fast 5 times!):confused::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2:

Thanks Road. I hope it all works...

Cooler than dangit is an expression I picked up from Corky Coker, it's a compliment.

I kinda figured it was. Thanks Falstaff!
This phatty front end lets me get a lil weird. That's the cool thing about having the stock front end. If it wasn't for that I would probably be more conservative. I'm really enjoying this build and the challenges it's bringing up. I'm keeping the stock front end secret right now. It is definitely more traditional and looks awesome with the phatty rear. I'm having some bar envy from other builds though. There isn't ANY of the cool MB parts around here. I'd like a vintage set for the stock front end. Thanks again F!

Looking awesome Roadie!

Luke.

Thanks, Luke.

Last edited:
The front fatness and the rear fatness, with the angular "skinny" middle are really setting this one apart from the crowd. Front mag looks good, I'll bet your'e going to like it when they are both on there. And the monster long apes! I'm thinking some big ol' fat grips on the ends of those handles....:39:

Look what finally came in... the mags. I took my mag down to the shop to see how close mine is to the original, it's close but not perfect. Looks like I'm off by the width of a ball point pen... hmmmm. If someone wants this copy I can sell a set for 60 for steel and 100 for stainless. They weigh 3.5 lbs per set and I have no idea what shipping would be. I would make about 10 per pair at this price to cover time and packaging. PM me if you want a set. Mine are mild steel.

8xnRzq8.jpg

pIJO9I4.jpg

I'm toying with the color scheme. I was going to just paint the rear rim black, then I thought it would be too much black on the bike. So, I'm making a lot of work for myself. I JB welded some spoke holes and test polished the edge of the rim. I'm kinda diggin the look of the black stripe in the middle of the rim with the polished edge. Not too sure about the black mag though.
uFjlawE.jpg

I've not done much in the way of body work or painting. I'm pretty fair with a rattle bomb but have never used bondo or primer or automotive paint. I was at the paint store picking out my color to load into rattle cans and ran into a buddy from high school who owns a body shop and does awesome award winning paint and body work. He said if I prep the frame and buy the paint he'd spray it for me. He told me what to buy and what to do to get it ready for him.
I wanted to keep the bike dark because it looked pretty cool with the black frame and chrome. I was thinking root beer brown and decided on a GM expresso brown. It will look almost black until you get it into the sun. I hope it works...
b3RP3fO.jpg

Last edited:
I used Espresso Brown roof fixture paint as my base for the rims, crank, and other bits on the Beer Boy Delivery bike in BO-X. Very happy with the results, mine was flat; will you put some sparkle in yours?

That big phatty front end is cool but I'm waiting to see the secret stock front end. I know I like spindley front ends for looks. I'd also like to ride this bike... I don't always feel that way, often I have an idea what it'd be like, but I'd sure like to ride this stretched phatty.

Carl.

I used Espresso Brown roof fixture paint as my base for the rims, crank, and other bits on the Beer Boy Delivery bike in BO-X. Very happy with the results, mine was flat; will you put some sparkle in yours?

Yes, the GM has some silver sparkle in it. Brown is definitely NOT an MB color, sooo I hope it works...

That big phatty front end is cool but I'm waiting to see the secret stock front end. I know I like spindley front ends for looks. I'd also like to ride this bike... I don't always feel that way, often I have an idea what it'd be like, but I'd sure like to ride this stretched phatty.

Carl.

She does ride real nice, Carl. No way you can pull wheelies though. One less thing for me to worry about(a wheelie bar). I sure am making a lot of work for myself with this one. Waiting on parts has got me at a stand still... it's driving me nutts!!!!!

Long awaited parts have come in... from china. I was hesitant to tear apart the good wheel until I made sure the parts were going to fit and work the way I wanted them to, and they do fit and work. I disassembled the wheel and started on the hub. Instead of my original plan to cut two hubs and weld them together, I found that the ends were just pressed on. I ground the flanges off to give me place to weld the 1 1/2" tube that was left over from the fatty fork tubes. The tube fits snug over the ends of the threaded end of the original axel ends(Whew...a lot of ends in that one).

6NuoJL2.jpg

5pz9Hna.jpg

rfPHNfa.jpg

DOJfYPx.jpg

My plan is to weld these flanges onto the 1 1/2" after I get the mags fit and marked where the axel is centered.
hdPxu3Y.jpg

My instincts told me to wait on tearing the original wheel apart. After I did that I think I may have figured out why I was hesitant. The place where these rims join together is a really weak joint.
I'm now concerned that the joint will fail without the spokes holding the rim together. I guess we'll see. So now I have to wait to mount the disc break and sissy until I get the wheel finished and test it out.

8IgD9Oe.jpg

The universe is supplying me with what I want for this build. In this case I guess I needed to be a little more specific. I wanted a vintage set of apes for the stock front end, but forgot to ask that they be in good shape, which these aren't. The two piece Persons seat was worth the ten spot I spent on this 24"er. It's actually longer than the re-pop I have and I may wind up using this one...

O6h8gN5.jpg

I'm glad to be working on the bike again, I was loosing the momentum and joy I had for this build.

Last edited:
The mags I had cut were the larger diameter of the original. I marked and ground mine to my custom size. I didn't realize until I had already ground the mags and mounted one side that the other side of the rim(just 2 inches over) was larger in diameter. So, when I went to fit the second mag I hardly had any taper to it. Too late to add more steel! The end result is that the rim is off center 2mm, oh well, sometimes it just has to be good enough...

d6uOPyo.jpg

I marked and drilled pilot holes in the mags first, then drilled through into the spacers.
ybQrLDf.jpg

CD7F2s4.jpg

My original intent was to weld the mags to the hub. I decided to weld these discs to the axel instead so I can disassemble and paint every thing easier.
zddPZ6C.jpg

TXUmDV6.jpg

yo1Ae8G.jpg

When I mounted the rim to test true I found a slight wobble, it's nothing I'm going to worry about. The weak joint in the rim held up to assembly and a test ride.... hope it stays that way!!!
SGlJc1P.jpg

Now I can mount the caliper and sissy springs.
LpLjaXM.jpg

I found this chrome fender attached to a rust bucket of a stinkray. It cleaned up ok, there is just a couple of imperfections in it. After removing the decals and mounting it I decided it was too much chrome. I'm toying with the idea of painting three stripes on it similar to these I did with a sharpie. What do you think?
f0wxIJD.jpg

It feels good to see some progress. I have a lil ADD and was concerned about loosing interest and motivation(which I was).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back