(MBBO#5 Class 1) 1971 AMF Aerobee. *DONE*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work has been keeping me very busy. I've got a number of small things going, but here's a small update.

Got spokes and built the wheels.

Started on the tire restoration. The other side has worn into the white on the side walls. I'll take pictures of that when I am ready to restore the black.

aC9K7q.jpg

And got my Oxalic Acid, and have started bathing parts.

LCCiv8.jpg

love those tires! I have some raised white letter Grand Tour GT tires on a Ross made Firestone badged S/S III GTO (basically same bike as barracuda 3 speed) I was thinking about pulling off and using on my build. White letters give lots of character!

I've been using something called Evapo-Rust which works quite well if you are patient. How does this compare to Oxalic Acid? Let me guess: its the same but I've been paying 10x for a fancy name and a cool bucket that I toss after dumping it all into a Rubbermaid bin...... That would totally be me.

I've been using something called Evapo-Rust which works quite well if you are patient. How does this compare to Oxalic Acid? Let me guess: its the same but I've been paying 10x for a fancy name and a cool bucket that I toss after dumping it all into a Rubbermaid bin...... That would totally be me.
Essentially yes. Honestly, I like Evaporust better. In fact, the brakes for this bike are soaking in it right now. But it's expensive. For $12 I can get a pint of Oxalic and mix it into gallons for big jobs. For $30 I can get 1 gallon of Evaporust. I use it for smaller jobs and I pour it back in the jug because I'm cheap.

Love those Aerobee guards. Look forward to seeing how this cleans up.

Contrary to popular belief, I am not dead, and I am still in this contest. However, due to the depth I normally catalog my builds, I haven't had the time to keep up on cataloging. So... I'm just working in small increments when I can when I have time. My new job (from this year vice last year) keeps me busy, so I've had to really scramble.

I'll tell you that currently:

The frame is prepped for paint. This AMF frame is possibly the ugliest I've ever seen in regards to joint welds and extra splatter from those welds. I've decided since this is a straight restoration that I would keep it almost completely original with all the drips and dribbles. Except for the down tube joint at the head. The put so many pockets in that thing it looked like a sponge, so I filled it in with filler because it was driving me crazy.

I've got a boat load of polishing to do, I have to polish and paint the guard, then apply decals, and I have to restore the shifter assembly.

I'll update when I can. But don't be surprised if all of a sudden... "TA DA!" I have a finished bike right before the deadline.

Looks like the Aerobee on the right? Those twin top tubes/seat stays are cool.

I know the one on the left is for the Cuda.

I'll update when I can. But don't be surprised if all of a sudden... "TA DA!" I have a finished bike right before the deadline.

I get lazy about the pic taking and posting too....but man...:21:...+ on the frame prep I'm with you on the "authentic" mantra. I just knocked the loose flakes of weld off the '68 Junior.

I have to restore the shifter assembly.

Take some pics of that..:)

I have to restore the shifter assembly.
Take some pics of that..:)
I'm a little upset at one step of it. I heated up the handle so I could knock it off the stick, which has worked in the past. But this time it not only didn't work, it "clouded" the handle. What once was a handle in not to bad of shape has had the plastic affected. I'm not happy about that. I'll have to paint it to bring it back. :mad:

Takes some pics....this sounds like a perfect episode...did it have the chrome plating on it or something?

You can fix it CRASH!!..:bigboss:

Latest posts

Back