(MBBO#5 Class 1) deterioRat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"You're the poetry man,
you make things all rhyme.."
~ Phoebe Snow

So...what is your next step...?

"You're the poetry man,
you make things all rhyme.."
~ Phoebe Snow

So...what is your next step...?

Next step is the caress of steel
massage the rust
on frame, on wheel

furyus

{with apologies to Rush}

Nice one furyus. What's the plan for "refurbishment" more special sauce? Those rims should clean up. Tin foil + WD40 works good.

More special sauce indeed.

guard1.jpg

guard2.jpg

sprocket1.jpg

sprocket2.jpg

Yes, the sprocket is cleaned and ready for re-installation.

furyus

More Gibbs...

gibbs1.jpg

gibbs2.jpg

gibbs3.jpg

gibbs4.jpg

Still looks wet, especially in the last shot, but that has more to do with lighting than with residue. The thing that makes Gibbs so attractive to me is how it is dry to the touch shortly after application (these shots were immediately afterwards), how it brings a sheen back to the paint and the fact that it stays looking like this for a long time (months in some cases).

Nearly done with the first application on the frame. I'll probably do at least one more prior to re-assembly. A second or third application puts a little more muscle (!) into arresting further rust and deepens the existing patina at the same time. Wheels are the next item to be addressed.

furyus

First of the second month, time to get back on page one for a bit.

Inner rim of my rear wheel. Won't show you the whole thing - you'll get the idea.

rearwheel1.jpg

Same spot, after elbow grease and steel wool.

rearwheel2.jpg

Front wheel, complete with fixer-upper cocoon...

frontwheel1.jpg

Elbow grease...

frontwheel2.jpg

So, cleaning this up inch by inch and then I'll shoot it with black Rustoleum to slow down the Second Law of Thermodynamics a bit. Can't believe how bad the Second Law is affecting me; my elbow grease strength and endurance ain't what it used to be.

furyus

Paint booth is the back of my truck. Contours in the gate and bed are perfect for holding a S2/S7 in place. Taped up and ready. The sunlight brings out a lot of rust I missed in the dim garage. Much better than it was to begin with, however. Here's the S7 (pic is supposed to be vertical but this software knows better than I do).

paint1.jpg

Both wheels with fresh Rustoleum. Should slow the rust for a while.

paint2.jpg

Chad, the outsides will be another post when I get the chance. They are not done yet.

Odd, you know how it is - our "clean" around here would make some bikers go into cardiac arrest. Their loss.

furyus

Attachments

• paint1.jpg
    paint1.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 239
Yeah, we have only to glance at a rusty bike and it gives us a sense of peace and comfort.....you could call it...'rust in peace'.

Typically go fenderless, but this one stole my heart. Ain't no sissy safety-edge out back, either.

fender1.jpg

furyus

Gotta love a mucsle bike that you need to get a tetanus shot before you ride.

Gotta love a mucsle bike that you need to get a tetanus shot before you ride.
You have jostled my memory stones once again KF. I think there was a bike build with the word 'tetanus' in it sometime over the past year....remember which one?

That type of bike is hard work.
Keep enough rust for a preserved look.
I like to wet sand those. Smooth out the rust spots but keep the discoloration of the paint/base coat/primer/bare metal all exposed in a small area.
Clear coat of that. Protect that bare metal and enhance the colors that are still there.

That bike is going be great
Nice work!

Man that is King Crust
I never heard of the Gibbs penetrant you mention Furyus
are you sanding off or grinding off some of the chunkies and then applying the gibbs....or just hitting it with the oil and leaving it??
This should be very cool...I like it
:thumbsup:
franco

That type of bike is hard work.
Keep enough rust for a preserved look.
I like to wet sand those. Smooth out the rust spots but keep the discoloration of the paint/base coat/primer/bare metal all exposed in a small area.
Clear coat of that. Protect that bare metal and enhance the colors that are still there.

That bike is going be great
Nice work!

I appreciate your encouragement, Kildare.

I follow more of an "oil 'er up and let 'er go" philosophy. Really not cleaning any of the rust at all. Oiling surfaces and greasing threaded areas and such, but the less rust removed, the better. I don't use a clearcoat because I like my corrosion to continue to mature.

Installed the kickstand, crank, sprocket and pedals this evening.

progress2.jpg

furyus

Latest posts

Back