(MBBO #5 class 2) Slow Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for opinions here. Getting another donor bike for front skinny rim, don't really wanna buy 2 donor bikes.

26" skinny rim small tire, no fender.

24" skinny rim small tire with fender.
24" without a doubt for me...

Luke.

Started locking down the frame, hoop bars were loose. I looked, clamped, looked etc. This fits the best so it got welded.

Seat tube and top tube done, still loose at downtube. I may play with the bend and need to check fork clearance.

Plenty of finish grinding and bondo to go, but getting there. I need the frame welded for a good mock up and ride.
2016-09-24 10.23.02.jpg

Having a heck of a time finding rims that match.

Want a 24" chrome skinny, and 20" chrome rear. I'm picky enough that I want the rim profiles to match. Finding a vintage 24" 10 speed donor, not many around, not finding skinny chrome hoops for sale new either.

I can do the same with aluminum and polish them, they just need to match.

That pretty much forces me to build my rims up. Never done it, watched the videos on 3X and radial lacing. Time to learn some new skills.

Having a heck of a time finding rims that match.

Want a 24" chrome skinny, and 20" chrome rear. I'm picky enough that I want the rim profiles to match. Finding a vintage 24" 10 speed donor, not many around, not finding skinny chrome hoops for sale new either.

I can do the same with aluminum and polish them, they just need to match.

That pretty much forces me to build my rims up. Never done it, watched the videos on 3X and radial lacing. Time to learn some new skills.
Patience and having a wheel to copy seem to be my biggest helpers when building wheels.

Luke.

Frame is fully welded. Need a set of 20" kid bike cranks, have some in the bike pile 2 hours away, have a set of 3 piece shorty's on a kid mountain bike here at the house, looks like euro bottom bracket.
So american to euro conversion, drive 4 hours, or find a donor.

Sorry about the messy mock up background, it's raining here.

Rear fender support needs tweaked to bring the back down. Eyeballing it looks like fender will need notched or chopped to stay out of my chainline.

Only have 1 chrome fender, so I can use the chop from the rear for a short front, or do a painted front fender with some fancy paint accents.

Got a new blackwall slick on the back, need to get the skinny front tire, sticking with the rims I have to keep the mock up moving.
20161001_105151.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good!
What do you guys think about the hoop bars extending past the downtube?

All the stock bikes they end at the downtube.
It is something different from a stock bike, which could be good or bad depending on what you want it to be...

Luke.

20161007_092204.jpg

Got a rider, found a cheap sacrificial box store bike for cranks. Set up as single speed for the moment.
The rear wheel 6 spd, I have isn't going to work without relacing, etc. Ordered a 3 speed freewheel and a hub, got a couple 5 speeds, we'll see how it all works out.

Steering is twitchy by not too bad, the bars curve back and that doesn't help it.

Definately a slow roll, with the shorty cranks and steering.

On my raked forks I'll usually push the bars forward so the bars aren't so responsive. It takes a more exaggerated arch of shoulders so holding a straight line seems more natural, and the forks don't over exadurate small bar movements at the pivot.

Bonus I think he bar bends over the wheel will add to he big little rake effect!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got my rear wheel figured out. First time lacing one up, 28 / 2, not so bad looking at the old rim, had to restart a couple of times, but feel confident I can do another much quicker now. Bought a new hub, steel chrome, bought a new 3 speed freewheel, that's really all I need on this thing.

20161012_203855.jpg

Got to use the spoke guard I made from a sink hair strainer, stainless. The ceiling fan one was just too massive for a 20" rim.

There's where the trouble started, duh duh duhnn. In my haste to strip the freewheel down to its guts I broke the old plastic spoke guard with pliers, not realizing it was also a spacer for the gear.

Looking around for something to McGyver, I tried pvc water pipe, little too small, then tried grey electoral conduit for a house service, perfect slip fit. Sliced it in the miter saw with a fin blade and away we go.
20161012_201027.jpg

20161012_203908.jpg

Now I can set up my chainline and start setting up the derailleur, got it mounted but have not run a chain thru it.

Cleaning and greasing the new freewheel made a huge difference, it was sticky and loud out of the package, barely hear the pawls click now

Last edited:
Rear 3 speed is 14/17/20. Cranks are short, guessing 150mm or so off kids 20" bike.

I was looking at gear ratio, what do you guys suggest for crank sprocket count. I'm trying to stay around 2.75 on the 17 middle gear. Should I go higher 2.8-3.0 with the short cranks.

Looking at the profile, I've decided to go 26" on the front. With the tall bars I think it will look right.

Anyone have a skinny old school 10 speed chrome steel rim in their stash, want to run 1 3/8 tire. Hoop or rim is fine, now that I know how to build a wheel:)

Nice frame mods.
I like the fork bender!

That twitchy elbow feeling is easy to get used to, that's not really a very drastic bend and with a bit of speed is actually easier to steer than rolling real slow. Looking wild.

Carl.

Looking at the profile, I've decided to go 26" on the front. With the tall bars I think it will look right.

Anyone have a skinny old school 10 speed chrome steel rim in their stash, want to run 1 3/8 tire. Hoop or rim is fine, now that I know how to build a wheel:)
Believe I've got just what you're looking for in The BACK40. Let me shoot you a pic in the morning. And, comes with a 1 3/8 tire to boot..

Latest posts

Back