(MBBO #5 class 2) Slow Roll

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a 26 1 3/8 wheel for the front, its sitting in oxalic acid.
Got a different set of bars, same height with grips kicked out instead of back.
Doing multiple mock ups on brake and shifter cables, figuring out where things need to be.

Ordered a bike work stand, I no longer have to hang the bike from hooks and rope.

Nothing pic worthy at the moment.

Heck with work, I was looking at it and decided to go for a ride.

Skinny tire and bars that kick out instead of back made all the difference in steering, much smoother now.
20161030_161741.jpg

I may be able to sneak a fender in here still, with some creative clearancing.
20161030_161903.jpg

Please let us know what stand you get and how it works out for you... I keep adding them and removing from cart cause not sure of quality

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...213&category=177847&pm=1&ds=0&t=1477862794398

I'm happy with it for the money, only thing I've noticed is if I'm clamped on the seat tube, the bike rotates when I put on the front rim, I have to reclamp on the top tube. Keep in mind this is with extended forks and everything on "slow roll" is heavy high tensile.

Didn't have any issue with BMX that was clamped up a few days ago.

Found a 5 spd SRAM grip shift in the parts pile that should work.

Took a while to get a new cable in it, never done this before, I learned when sliding it back together, it clicks back in place best between 4th and 5th gear. hope that helps someone out later.

Showing this pic, the sleeve that fits into the click shift, I cut that down to half length before putting it back together.
20161104_084833.jpg

Threaded the cable end further up, 10mm 1.25 die.
20161104_135715.jpg

Cut off the excess and shortened the adjusting nut on both ends.
20161104_140029.jpg

20161104_141508.jpg
Here's the mounting, cut the end off an old set of bars. I did not weld across the top yet. trying to save the original blue paint in that area. welded 2/3 of the way around the bottom.

The end of the mounting lines up exactly with the shortened inner sleeve on the shifter.

20161104_170809.jpg
Welding on cable mounting lugs for brake and shifter. I'm not set up to braze, I was going to try to use some auto brake line, but it felt pretty thin to mig.

Looking around the store with a brake cable in hand, a 5/16 retaining pin works well, slip fit on the cable and heavy enough for mig.

2 trips to the store and 6 cable lug mounts welded on. That took a lot longer than I thought.

Getting close to having the welding done, bodywork to follow.

Waiting on a 50 ft roll of cable to show up before I can set up the brakes and derailleur.

Last edited:
I've been stalling on welding in the upper chainstay separator, or brake mounting, not sure of the exact name.
I'll use it to mount the rear fender, got it welded in, finally.

On the rear mount, the typical supports are the wrong size and creating way too many mounting points and crazy lines.

I found a cool old reflector from the royce union girls bike in the beginning of the thread. the spacing on the sissy bar wasn't correct, used a piece of aluminum flat bar to make a new one, but using all the old hardware, should polish up nicely.
This will let me hang the rear fender, rear mount off the reflector and eliminate the supports to the drop outs.
20161105_094425.jpg

Door hinges are what I use to make cable guides, it is the right size to slip cables through and the steel is thick enough to not burn through unless you really mess up the weld.

Luke.

Door hinges are what I use to make cable guides. Luke.

Good call on the hinges, I looked at one in my junk box but it was too big. The 5/16 retaining pins are $0.40 and don't have any paint or plating, the slice down the edge for compression gives a nice little flat to rest on the tubing. next build might get zip ties.

I was gonna hold out and post this at the end, but what's the fun in that. Been eyeballing my box of shiny junk that I think I can repurpose, came up with this nice little shifter cover. I may leave the sticker on it just to throw people off.

20161106_095310.jpg

20161106_095335.jpg

That's right - more ceiling fan parts.

I have the shift lever made up and a rough plan on mounting it. It's repurposed as well, and looking pretty good.

I cant really finish it until I have the cables routed and derailleur adjusted. I used a 5 speed shifter and I have a 3 speed, I want to set the adjustment in the middle for the 3 speed, but set up my shifter for full 5 speed travel - if I need to swap to 5 speed later on. the 3 speed lined up very well, 5 speed cleared - barely.

Last edited:
Stripped, sanded the frame this morning.
Y'all know what bondo looks like, it's stuck on all the welded areas, and needs to be sanded, look out fingertips.

Since I have a severe aversion to rattle can, all the paint will be automotive based products shot from a gun. Going thru my left over cans in the paint cabinet seeing what I can cook up for color scheme.

Hope to be finished with paint this weekend.

20161112_143356.jpg

Left over sealer primer, don't remember where it came from, but it mixed up and shot well. first coat on, waiting my 20 min and I'll hit it again. Throw some heat lamps on it and I can sand it out tomorrow morning.

This looks like the last decent weather we'll have in my area so I wanna get the paint shot now.

Going thru the left over auto paint supplies, I ended up with some black enamal, enamel clear, enough reducer and hardener. Thought I had some blue metallic but it has eluded me.

Wasn't going for black on this build since Ive already bought some other blue stuff, so I had to improvise.

Latest posts

Back