(MBBO #5 Class I) One-owner '68 Sting-Ray..and the OddJob Award!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to apply the decals to the OO '69 er. They are water decals from Memory Lane in Michigan. Give me your best tips on time in water, application method, useful tools, etc. It's been 45 yrs since I last applied a water decal....
I have used several of their decals. Most likely the same ones you have ordered. They are less expensive then other places and have a fantastic selection. I find that they are a little harder to work with. They will come with directions on how to apply. Use luke warm water. I keep checking the decal to see if it is movable on the paper. When it can move, it's ready. Slide the decal to one end of the paper. Attach that end at the correct location and gently pull the paper away while holding a Kleenex on the decal to keep it in place. When the paper is all out, continue to blot with the Kleenex to work out any remaining water bubbles under the decal. Work from center to edge. This always works for me. Maybe some others will chime in with their methods. Here is photo of the chainguard decal I did a few weeks ago. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have used several of their decals. Most likely the same ones you have ordered. They are less expensive then other places and have a fantastic selection. I find that they are a little harder to work with. They will come with directions on how to apply. Use luke warm water. I keep checking the decal to see if it is movable on the paper. When it can move, it's ready. Slide the decal to one end of the paper. Attach that end at the correct location and gently pull the paper away while holding a Kleenex on the decal to keep it in place. When the paper is all out, continue to blot with the Kleenex to work out any remaining water bubbles under the decal. Work from center to edge. This always works for me. Maybe some others will chime in with their methods. Here is photo of the chainguard decal I did a few weeks ago. Good Luck!
cb0d563cb514f7eee5c3aa24bc1a06f8.jpg

Thanks for the tip! Your bike looks great. Hope I have the same result!

cb0d563cb514f7eee5c3aa24bc1a06f8.jpg

That is the way I used to do it with model cars.
:thumbsup:

Luke.

I have a pretty good size collection of automotive water-slide decals, if anyone wants to check them out click here. Here's a thread I did on water-slide decal application, keep in mind that the ones I usually use are old, sometimes 50+ years old. This method may or may not work for these reproductions.
Thats an awsome collection. I'm super envious!

Got some good advice from Chad T and others. Thanks for the insights. Turns out these reproductions are a little more finicky than the ones we used back in the day. Only need about 2-3 seconds dipped in luke warm water. Then let sit for 3 mins or so. A light brush coat of Testors Decal Set on the frame where the decal will go. Then slide the decal off the paper, spread the bubbles out with your finger dipped in water. Then one brush coat of the Testors set again. Results :

20160926_200508.jpg

20160926_200535.jpg

20160926_200611.jpg

20160926_200935.jpg

Very good on the decals!

And let me say that I feel bad every time I look to see all the builds on the left side of the page, I feel bad that I keep seeing that photo I shared with you. Your bike needs to be there. Not mine. Don't know why it hasn't gone away yet.

And let me say that I feel bad every time I look to see all the builds on the left side of the page, I feel bad that I keep seeing that photo I shared with you. Your bike needs to be there. Not mine. Don't know why it hasn't gone away yet.

Not sure what you mean by the 'left side of the page'? All the builds?

Not sure what you mean by the 'left side of the page'? All the builds?
I'm viewing Tapatalk on my iPad and this is how the page setup is. I even deleted that pic from my post and its still on the left hand side of the page
a4b22ef87dadc07c47ee5b0ebdac2a4b.png

I'm viewing Tapatalk on my iPad and this is how the page setup is. I even deleted that pic from my post and its still on the left hand side of the page

It will probably go away once tatatalk updates...

Nice work on the decals OJ!

Luke.

That's weird. I don't use Tapatalk on my phone, so I don't see the same image.

Annnnnd.....it's FINISHED~! This was my first attempt at a 'refurberation' or 'reconditioning' of a classic bike, muscle or otherwise. Had a lot of fun and enjoyed the unique challenges of making something look old yet 'new' again.

Swung by the local bike / skate park for some pics this morning. Decals went on well. Even did a pinstripe version of the chevron on the fork for something different. RaT oN!

20160927_112801.jpg
20160927_112616.jpg
20160927_112319.jpg
20160927_112311.jpg
20160927_112227.jpg
20160927_112156.jpg

Looks great! Sure you're friend is happy!

Looks great! Sure you're friend is happy!

He hasn't seen it yet. Probably get it to him this weekend. Talked to him 2 weeks ago for an update on the build. He had 'that look' in his eye...like the day he got it for his birthday in 1968!

Looks good OJ. Nice job on the decals and looks like you found an actual Schwinn rim for the back?
Yep. Looks to be about the same vintage as the original front. And found a slick to finish it off...

looks good , decals cut and blended into look like the stickers over them turned out good.

Latest posts

Back