(MBBO Class 1) Fruit Krate be Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hanging it in the rafters for now...
It is a nice frame, but I feel stupid not realizing it was small. My son even said it was smaller than he expected. I put it next to his bmx and it's 4" shorter. My boy is 6´1" and still growing, he needs a dinky bike like a hole in the head.

Carl.

Last edited:
Nice start glad to see the frame put to good use. Love the concept/Idea betting it will come out sharp. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Oh my. Your son is my height and I can't even manage to ride a normal stingray more than a couple blocks.

Oh my. Your son is my height and I can't even manage to ride a normal stingray more than a couple blocks.
We gonna need a tall seat post and sissy. (he wanted to do that anyway) From what I've read these little frames wheelied too easy, and that was why the geometry was changed a bit. I may fab some plates for a stretch on the rear to push the wheel back about 4". I haven't talked to my boy about it yet, we'll see. I'd also like to see a bent 26" springer on here, but my son thinks that'd be too much.

Carl.

Need to do something to stretch it out.
I thought about bolt on dropouts and run a taller tire (24 or26") to stabilize one of these little bikes

That is why I'm stretching my stays and put a 24" if it still wheelies easy I'm adding a 12" caster wheel on a wheelie bar

If my boy decides we go that way, it will be bolt on.
No frame welding in class 1.

Carl.

Mockup with virtually none of these parts being used in the final... But we wanted to see what a 26" bent fork would do to the stance, and what a 16" wheel would look like. The fork is a guesstimate, so I bent an old huffy 26" just to see what I could see, note the spacer. Definitely want a taller seat post and sissy. But even right now if you lean back the front wheel comes up...

Carl.

Last edited:
You might to need to drop to a 24" fork...
Luke.
It's pretty close to the right height tho, note the kickstand. He doesn't want a pedal scraper. I think the bent 26" springer will actually throw the front wheel out farther but stay the same height as a 24". I also think I can gain a bit of anti tilt by flipping the seat mount.

Carl.

Yeah, your right, the stand looks pretty spot on there! :thumbsup:

Luke.
I was over nosing around at an online BS and one of the pics said the bent 26" springer will lower your bike about 6 inches... Yoohoo! 26-6=20 just what we want... on paper anyway. Probably have to cut down the head tube, and on the last one I used, I had to tweak the top bracket. No biggie.

Carl.

I like that stance! On my '64 Stingray I mounted the sissy bar through the fender mount hole on the dropout for a little more height..i'm only about 5' 10" tho.

I like that stance! On my '64 Stingray I mounted the sissy bar through the fender mount hole on the dropout for a little more height..i'm only about 5' 10" tho.
Thanks! and that's a dinky sissy on there right now,
I think with a taller bar we'll be fine.

Carl.

Chemical and the wire wheel paint strip session today...
Not quite done but almost...
Oh, you wanna see a well built bike? Check out a Chicago Schwinn!
Those welds are babyzbutt smooth.

Carl.

Maybe I should have said a 64' I wonder if they took care because it was the new stingray? Bcuz the welds are the best I've ever seen on anything.

Carl. :android:

26" bent springer forks... NO modification needed. I just used the spacer from a Schwinn exerciser under the bottom bearing race. It sits right to my eyes, considering the stock kickstand...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back