(MBBO Class 1) Fruit Krate be Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a footnote to the naysayers, I repeat: There was no modification to the frame or the forks. That is a "Bent" 26" springer on a 64' Stingray with only a spacer under the bottom race... I have read that it couldn't be done, and that nothing will line up.

Carl.
I did the same thing with my '68 Stingray Fastback. No problems at all.

The spacer was even SCHWINN lol it came from an exerciser bike...

Carl.
No I did not use one from an exercise bike. I made mine from a piece of galvanized pipe.
camera057.jpg

The color on the bike looks awesome, it's a lot closer to the actual color on the lid in the first photo. I can't wait to see it in the sunlight.

Carl.

Last edited:
Awesome, I might be able to get back to my assembly later today after my morning committments. If not, definitely will be working on it tomorrow as I start my end of year vacation.

I got to do some :eek: reassembly today...
A 64' Stingray is not a Krate, it's barely a Stingray...o_O
AFTER paint, the sprocket shows up. Doesn't fit. Flipped it, still doesn't fit, peened a divot into the frame for clearance. Fits, but now the guard won't bolt up. I'm going to have to fab a bracket extension. Seems like the bike is fighting back all the way. Waiting on the chain to get here. In yellow...

Carl.

Wow that engine paint is a dead ringer for radiant coppertone. Looks really cool. Those shorty frames were made for teeny sprockets. Glad you got yours to fit.

Like the colors Frute Krate makes sense now. Kind of a fruit cocktail Krate..;-)

Wow that engine paint is a dead ringer for radiant coppertone. Looks really cool. Those shorty frames were made for teeny sprockets. Glad you got yours to fit.

Like the colors Frute Krate makes sense now. Kind of a fruit cocktail Krate..;-)

Yeah since I flipped the sprocket the chainline is offset...
We'll see if it's too far to work soon enough...

Carl.

One of the things I like about the mixed up set of colors is that it gives the bike the vibe of an old custom that was pieced together from various bikes. I love the stance on this too. Great build!

One of the things I like about the mixed up set of colors is that it gives the bike the vibe of an old custom that was pieced together from various bikes. I love the stance on this too. Great build!
Thanks brother! I get that vibe too, and it is pieced together... down the road we'll also be upgrading it as we can to true Schwinn bits.
(cept' maybe that fork ;))

Carl.

For the sprocket clearance, I've used an extra big washer on the crank behind the sprocket. The only thing is you have to have enough threads on the left side for the extra space.

Latest posts

Back