(MBBO Class 1) Powerglide

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I like riding it daily, it's time to tear it down and get to work. Some previous pics:

dablk.jpg

23h0q4i.jpg

I had a 55 cast iron powerglide married to a chev 265 v8 for years. Heavy heavy beast, but strong as all get out. The flex plate for those was pretty cool lookin.

love that separate headtube,you could weld that onto any existing headtube easily and have a raked and stretched frame without having to cutup the original frame,someone should make these

With the pink background, I thought you got the Barbie nail refinisher for Christmas. :p:rockout:

With the pink background, I thought you got the Barbie nail refinisher for Christmas. :p:rockout:

Good thing I changed out the Hello Kitty tablecloth last week! :rofl:

I decided to let the shop do the heavy cutting and grinding, as using a angle grinder is a little dangerous and makes a heck of a mess. I'll just do the finishing and corrections to the parts. I'll start with these extensions to see if they will work properly. They should allow me use a 2.125 tire.
vhrp61.jpg

I still haven't taken the bike apart, too much fun riding it. But getting some work done. I corrected the dropouts so they will take the hub. There are upper and lower dropouts in case the chain doesn't line up or I want to raise or lower the rear height. They still look rough, but if they work out, I'll clean them up more and see how they look with a coat of primer. If they still look bad, I'll make up another set.

jziema.jpg

2ujl6xf.jpg

I picked up the nuts and bolts and found that the holes were a tiny bit too small, so I reamed them out and installed the extensions. New chain and then I gave it a try, on the bottom slots, it rides perfect and everything is lined up nicely. I tried the top slots but like the look and ride on the lower slots. Then I mounted the 2.125 tire and it has plenty of room. So I think I can put a 2.4 tire on there later. Originally the dropout extensions were supposed to look like wings, but maybe they can be painted to look like flames.

bj77eg.jpg

rlfb5x.jpg

n1a0ye.jpg

efp5p2.jpg

Sweet dropouts!!!
I'm glad you are having so much fun with this bike.

The bike shop brought out a cottered chain ring and cranks when I asked for a 36 tooth chain ring for my other bike. The old one on this bike isn't the right one and the crank is a half inch longer than the other one, so I may change it out. I was also thinking of candy apple red paint as that's from the musclebike era. Maybe add flames, but with pinstriping instead of the usual flames. I can't pinstripe so I'll have the local talent do it. I'm also going to look through all the banana seats they have at the big bike shop. I'll see if they have a 2.4 slick or something close to that. Then my dropstand/wheeliebar thing needs to be designed and fabbed up. Lots to do but I'm still able to go out riding while I get it together.

This was the only banana seat they had. I will still check the other shops for a red glitter seat. As for a sissy bar, I may make one a little different than the usual, along the lines of the big wing they had on the Roadrunner.

2edv8gm.jpg

sff8tz.jpg

This was the only banana seat they had. I will still check the other shops for a red glitter seat. As for a sissy bar, I may make one a little different than the usual, along the lines of the big wing they had on the Roadrunner.

2edv8gm.jpg

sff8tz.jpg

Barry, try Mr. Lee's place he's got tons of vintage nanners. Checkout his FB page ;-)

Latest posts

Back