(MBBO#V Class II) Interstellar Overdrive

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Change it to cassette/derailleur, problem solved and you can run up to 7 speeds and make a cool shifter/grip shift modification...

Luke.
Won't work stock. The top half of the chain is the problem, no straight line between top of chain ring to rear cogs. Frame rail is in the way. The stretch raised the axle about 2 inches... I'm actually amazed how straight this turned out. With the axle as far back as it can go the wheel is centered perfectly. But there is room to dish the chain ring in, on the hanging BB... then... then...
Glad we have 3 months!

Carl.

That should look sweet if you can get the seat mounted back further.
with the seat it had...
minus the crazy print.
8f462b0ba5b14e1b765352388c431855.jpg

I think it needs to be longer.

Carl.

sent from a phonebooth...

Won't work stock. The top half of the chain is the problem, no straight line between top of chain ring to rear cogs. Frame rail is in the way. The stretch raised the axle about 2 inches... I'm actually amazed how straight this turned out. With the axle as far back as it can go the wheel is centered perfectly. But there is room to dish the chain ring in, on the hanging BB... then... then...
Glad we have 3 months!

Carl.
Ah, I thought it was the bottom run of the chain that was the issue...

Luke.

Love the multiple mock ups with different parts.
yeah me too...
from last year...
8c48abae3021bff80f5136542a91f954.jpg
0bf03f04106aeb960e78d6a235c1db9a.jpg

3c632235ee50ff0db64fc58fbdb141b2.jpg

now I'm looking for nacelles and a deflector...

Carl.

sent from a crowded phonebooth...

yeah me too...
from last year...
8c48abae3021bff80f5136542a91f954.jpg
0bf03f04106aeb960e78d6a235c1db9a.jpg

3c632235ee50ff0db64fc58fbdb141b2.jpg

now I'm looking for nacelles and a deflector...

Carl.

That's like a universal frame. One size fits all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

freight train.jpg

How tough is it to make a dual drive hub?
Left hand drive to middle wheel, right side middle wheel is a freewheel, to right side drive rear wheel?
Or do I have that backwards?
Rear section probably needs to be free to move up and down like a swing arm. Top bar rear section probably should be spring loaded, or at least hinged.

Carl.

Polly could use disk brake mounts to mount a cog and transfer drive to the left then rear.. could keep front coaster that way...
Braking would be sketchy at best.

Dual drive should be easy enough, all you need is a flip flop hub and @LukeTheJoker
:grin:
I just want a dual drive hub for the middle wheel.
I've been trying to figure out which way to run a flip flop hub. It seems to me that the left side would unscrew either way. I suppose I'd have to tack the fixie side and run the freewheel on the right side. Obviously matching the freewheel on both hubs. No coaster.

Carl.

You could mount a coaster on the rear wheel. If both hubs on the front were free it would work, I'm not sure what effect having a fixie on the left would produce.

I learned in my quest for a hand lever coaster brake, someone made a dual drive hub for a tandem.... I think.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but bigger issue to address is how to make it turn with two rear wheels.
I really don't think it's an issue. Semi tractors do it and you don't even lean them over when turning. A couple things have to be noted. Frame is drawn rigid but would not be, the rear section is vertically hinged. That means weight is on middle wheel more, although it can be spring loaded to press the rear tire down, no coaster. Frame would be left hand drive to middle wheel, rear wheel is coupled to the middle wheel from the right hand side. Two chains, spring chain tensioner on the rear section. Caliper brakes could be on both wheels. There probably would be excessive wear on the rearmost tire I see it sliding some when turning tight, unless I used Falstaff's method...
I'll admit it's more about looks than function but I do want it to be driven.
As long as I'm welding the left side gear on the middle hub, I wonder what a 3 speed hub would do in this position? Or a pair of derailleurs...try indexing that, ha, it'd look cool though.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back