(MBBO04C1) '67 HUFFY "The Musclepunk"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta have a love for the Ohio bikes,there seem to be some people in that area that are into old bikes.
Last time I went to a swap meet in the area there were more people than I thought.

Looking good! Cool shifter too!

You can base a whole build around that awesome shifter!

Pristine bike and way cool shifter! This will be good.

Looking good! Cool shifter too!

Shifter and frame are looking great!

The shifter was quite a score. My friend Rob (rfeagleye) had this Shimano shifter all fixed up for me but while I was in his basement I got looking around and spotted this one. :eek:

So I was like "hey what's this one?" then as I picked it up I saw it had the same Sturmey Archer logo as the box my hub came in. I was happy to find out these are not that uncommon or rare so I was able to get it from him.

Thanks Robby for letting me have your last one.:D

Seemed like a no-brainer for this hub.

sturmey2_zpsu26eljl2.jpg~original

So besides playing with the shifter I have gotten a bit of work done. I stated filing and sanding on the front rim. It's an Alex 20 x 1 1/8 BMX rim with kind of an aero profile to it. I'm taking the edges off of the braking area then I'll sand it all smooth and polish it up. Doing this a little at a time.

rims2_zpsiptyrjus.jpg~original

I've been wanting to try some of the newer BMX cranks. Since this bike had shorter cranks than what I wanted (5 1/2) I got some 165mm (6 1/2) chrome splined cranks. I was able to find a threaded spindle I could use with the Huffy bearings since they were in such great shape.

bearings_zpsaiuo0bla.jpg~original

Since the guy who had the threaded, splined spindle is the same guy I get my spokes from I went ahead and ordered spokes.

I was going to save the wheels for a fun project to do later but since I had the spokes I had to lace up this rear rim with the hub.

Rear rim is a 24" Araya Star Disc Freeride rim. The red you see inside the stars is the vinyl I got for my seat.

rim_zps3leyiauk.jpg

rims1_zps48ovaz8f.jpg~original

I couldn't resist putting this wheel together.

wheel_zpswui49fwf.jpg~original

These cranks should give me some extra tork. Since I'll be chasing an 8-year old on a 7 speed Stingray I'll need all the help I can get. :D

cranks2_zps5nfuvqdv.jpg~original

Getting dangerously close to being a runner. Hopefully I can get the front rim finished soon and check out the stance. I need to strip the front hub too. I may try the oven cleaner trick on that.

That's it for now.

The shifter was quite a score. My friend Rob (rfeagleye) had this Shimano shifter all fixed up for me but while I was in his basement I got looking around and spotted this one. :eek:

So I was like "hey what's this one?" then as I picked it up I saw it had the same Sturmey Archer logo as the box my hub came in. I was happy to find out these are not that uncommon or rare so I was able to get it from him.

Thanks Robby for letting me have your last one.:D

Seemed like a no-brainer for this hub.

sturmey2_zpsu26eljl2.jpg~original

So besides playing with the shifter I have gotten a bit of work done. I stated filing and sanding on the front rim. It's an Alex 20 x 1 1/8 BMX rim with kind of an aero profile to it. I'm taking the edges off of the braking area then I'll sand it all smooth and polish it up. Doing this a little at a time.

rims2_zpsiptyrjus.jpg~original

I've been wanting to try some of the newer BMX cranks. Since this bike had shorter cranks than what I wanted (5 1/2) I got some 165mm (6 1/2) chrome splined cranks. I was able to find a threaded spindle I could use with the Huffy bearings since they were in such great shape.

bearings_zpsaiuo0bla.jpg~original

Since the guy who had the threaded, splined spindle is the same guy I get my spokes from I went ahead and ordered spokes.

I was going to save the wheels for a fun project to do later but since I had the spokes I had to lace up this rear rim with the hub.

Rear rim is a 24" Araya Star Disc Freeride rim. The red you see inside the stars is the vinyl I got for my seat.

rim_zps3leyiauk.jpg

rims1_zps48ovaz8f.jpg~original

I couldn't resist putting this wheel together.

wheel_zpswui49fwf.jpg~original

These cranks should give me some extra tork. Since I'll be chasing an 8-year old on a 7 speed Stingray I'll need all the help I can get. :D

cranks2_zps5nfuvqdv.jpg~original

Getting dangerously close to being a runner. Hopefully I can get the front rim finished soon and check out the stance. I need to strip the front hub too. I may try the oven cleaner trick on that.

That's it for now.

.... that's lookin' sexy.. didn't know Araya did cut out rims, or that they were still around for that matter..lol.. and love those bear trap pedals..

Man that paint and those cranks and pedals pop! Love it so far!

I have to look if I have that seat tube decal...

.... that's lookin' sexy.. didn't know Araya did cut out rims, or that they were still around for that matter..lol.. and love those bear trap pedals..

I don't know if they are around like they used to be. I think some guy in England must have bought the rights to use the name or something. That rim came from Araya UK.

Not a lot of options for 24 inch rims. I thought this one would be a little different.

Liking the red and chrome.....star wheels and bear traps too!

Thank you. Whenever I see that woody bike of yours I picture Gidget riding on the handlebars.

Man that paint and those cranks and pedals pop! Love it so far!

Thank you buddy! Didn't think you were a fan of the chrome Kustom Kruiser cranks. (try saying that with a mouthful of cole slaw.):21:

The Kustom Kruiser branding mercifully wiped right off with some laquer thinner.

I have to look if I have that seat tube decal...

That will be a good option if I can't get the rest of the original off. I've been thinking about possibly doing something custom and more sassy like a real muscle Huffy.

Might be into a chrome fender if you come across one. Don't think I'm going to use the painted one. May go fenderless but this one looks like it could use a little blast of bling.

Thank you for the motivation fellas. Glad you're liking what I'm laying down here. Still not sure how this will turn out but I hope it's cool.

In an effort to get myself motivated to finish sanding the front rim I decided to see if I could get my front hub ready.

I bought a generic loose ball 32h alloy hub with a quick release axle hoping I could use the original Huffy axle and cones with the loose balls. This worked out well. I didn't think the dust caps were big enough but they fit pretty well with the steel cup inside the alloy hub.

Found a vid online on how to strip anodizing with oven cleaner. You basically need to immerse the part in the oven cleaner for 15 mins or so. It will smoke and bubble a lot but takes the anodizing right off.

hub_zpsogumpa5l.jpg~original

Still a ways to go to make her shiney. What I like to do with a hub is put an old axle and cones (no bearings) through it and tighten the cones down tight. Then I chuck that up in a drill. Makes quick work of the sanding and polishing.

Should be able to get to that this weekend. Got up early today and felt like fiddling with something.

Wow, I love where this bike is headed! The Araya wheel with your customizing looks great!

That star wheel is amazing!!!!

I have to get a set of those wheels and built a bike based on the wheels and a star sprocket.

Thank you guys.

Cool method to polish the hub, looking forward to seeing it afterwards!

Here it is chucked up in the drill after a quick hit with some 320 grit paper. Ended up going back down to 220 then 320, 600 and 1200. I just set the drill on the bench and hold the trigger. I use wd 40 with the wet/dry sandpaper.

hub2_zps0sknhhqt.jpg~original

On removing ano.. overnight in white vinegar. Same result. Less caustic.

Oh cool! The oven cleaner is tough on the bare alum too.

This original Huffy axle in the loose ball alloy hub really worked out well. I like to use a small screwdriver with a dab of grease on the loose balls. Tightened it up so there was just a slight rumble you could feel in the bearings. It's smooth like butta.

hub3_zpsgdx2m0cl.jpg~original

After I got the axle in there I remembered about the makita final polish on the hub.

hub4_zps9gf4sxuz.jpg~original

Here's a tip on this. Don't ever spin a hub that you just loaded with Park's grease up to full speed with a buffer. I caught it before it got too messy but it flings grease everywhere.

Pretty pleased with the result and the hub was kind of fun to do.

hub5_zps9djvrugq.jpg~original

Rim still has a long ways to go and it's not a whole lot of fun yet. Made a jig to hold the hoop then clamped that to a picnic bench. Hoops are kind of hard to hold on to and sand at the same time.

sanding_zps7ge1jlp2.jpg~original

Lots of file marks and a low spot I need to smooth out still but it's getting there. Just taking a break from the toil as the battery finally ran out on that sander.

Kind of itching to see the hoop shined up now.

I have to get a set of those wheels and built a bike based on the wheels and a star sprocket.

That would be cool. You can order them from Araya UK. http://www.araya.co.uk/araya-star-disc-freeride.html

If you order make sure you ad the shipping to your cart. It won't do it automatically. I had to track the guy down through paypal to get it sorted out but he was a super nice guy once I got ahold of him.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back