(MBBO04C1) '67 HUFFY "The Musclepunk"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Didn't look up my first post (on RRB) from last mbbo but it was about a year ago.

I found this site because I know this guy who's into these muscle bikes. I'm naming this bike for him and if you know the guy I'm talking about you might be a muscle punk too.:D

Anyways he calls me up and says he bought a seat but the guy wants to send him the whole bike. Long story short...I end up with this bike.

When I was a kid I never saw any of these cool Huffys like these "The Rails" and "The Wheels". The only Huffys I saw looked like this one.

before2_zps7g6avvnd.jpg~original

There she is. My '67 Huffy. It's so mint that is a paper flower power sticker on the fender still in tact.

Gonna be a slow start for me. Working 8 days in a row right now. I've seen a lot of the cool bikes already and I'll be catching up as I can with everybody.

Here is how she sits today.

mbbo_zpspcv0n4pt.jpg~original

The bike on the left is my kid's '68 Junior. I'll post that one up soon. Just making dinner and heading back to work + posting this up quick.

Another Huffy! It's hard to tell in the picture, but is it 24"? I'm assuming you'll be putting a whole new groupo on this bike like the others? I often think of the joy of that when I'm wrestling with restoring the old stuff and making it work. Brakes that actually stop you, gears that are probably pretty quiet, a bike that doesn't weigh 80 pounds... it all must me really nice. I really like that about your builds.

Thank you Fellas...:thumbsup:

Another Huffy! It's hard to tell in the picture, but is it 24"? I'm assuming you'll be putting a whole new groupo on this bike like the others?

Yes it's a 24". I'm not going crazy with the groupo on this one. I just want to make it look like a muscle bike Huffy could have made. This will be a coaster brake and perhaps some gears....maybe even a stick shift. :nod:

I often think of the joy of that when I'm wrestling with restoring the old stuff and making it work. Brakes that actually stop you, gears that are probably pretty quiet, a bike that doesn't weigh 80 pounds... it all must me really nice. I really like that about your builds.

Thank you brother. It makes a fun bike but getting those modern mountain bike setups dialed can be a bit of a nightmare. (and really expensive) Last year I had 2 bikes with 19 gears between them. Those were kind of my fantasy Stingrays I just had to have. This year I will have 2 bikes with 10 gears total.

I want to have one bike with no derailleur that's a nice mellow cruiser. I want it to look cool hopefully. It might just be really weird but we'll see. Just kind of building this to play along and do something with this huffy that landed in my lap.

I'd like to do a Rail sometime with all the modern goodies. We'll see how I like this Huffy.

Last edited:
The gruppo...I didn't know Huffys should have Shimano 3 speeds when I bought my hub. I got it because you can use just the cable with the little chain on it.

sturmey_zpsddaawl0t.jpg~original

Found that shifter in a friend of mine's basement..:happy:...he had a nice Shimano one cleaned up for me but when I saw this I had to have it to go with the hub. It's got some super nice action to it.

I want this bike to be kind of an homage to the muscle bike culture and a nice comfy cruiser.

mp1_zpsm4qozewz.jpg~original

I like it already! Always liked that pointy Huffy chainguard, totally 60's-ish. With some more muscle-ly upgrades this thing is going to be killer.

That bike is way clean too wow, won't need to do much cleaning to the plating at all!

Man, someone did a great detail job on that shifter!!! :happy:

You can base a whole build around that awesome shifter!

There he is!

That bike is way clean too wow, won't need to do much cleaning to the plating at all!

Yeah would be nice to find a Rail or Slingshot in this condition.

3_zps2bsxala2.jpg~original

Man, someone did a great detail job on that shifter!!! :happy:

Yes you did! Thank you for letting me take your last one. Perfect proportion for a 24 inch bike and perfect match for my hub.:thumbsup:

You guys would be amazed at what Robby has in his basement. I'd tell you but I've had to sign non-disclosure agreements to enter the vault. :21:

Since I knew I'd be working 8 days in a row at the beginning of the build off I had a "Government Project" as we call them to do using the lathe at work.

I just kind of winged it on the shape and worked the lathe tool like an etch-a-sketch. They're just a shade smaller than the tubes so I drilled them and added screws to hold them on.

caps_zpsc43hviss.jpg~original

Luckily they fit in my drill so I could polish them up easily. Still need to drill holes in the frame for the screws to go through so I can install them.

Or... you can PM Old School (Jess) and buy a set from him. He makes replicas of the originals that went on the Rail and Super Stock and they are really nice. All my restorations have used his aluminum caps.

I like the idea of going with something different on that frame. The original caps were just rounded ends to those tubes that were painted the same color. Georgeediii used a set of my original plastic ones (that I replaced with Jess') on his Jackalope last year. His frame was shaped like yours. I think the caps really lent something better to the look of the frame.

Oh... and I have the set that came off the Super Stock I just finished. One is broke at the end, but will still fit in to be glued, and the other is fine. But the chrome is wore off both. They'd be great to paint. Yours for the shipping ($3) if you want them.

Instead of drilling the frame, how about using some silicon to hold them in?

I guess so I can try these Rail caps when I get them from CRASH. That's a great idea. I may do that. If you were trying to prevent me from drilling the frame you're too late though.

Oh... and I have the set that came off the Super Stock I just finished. One is broke at the end, but will still fit in to be glued, and the other is fine. But the chrome is wore off both. They'd be great to paint. Yours for the shipping ($3) if you want them.

Thanks CRASH! Will be nice to have a set for reference.

Here they are installed. Did some polishing on the paint. Cleans up pretty good but there are some thin spots from mr 1967 Huffy painter. :D

mp2_zpsrsijk4rs.jpg~original

Grease in the bottom bracket is still clear and clean looking but super hard like hard plastic.

Before pic of the sprocket. It looks like it has some kind of grease on it that hardened on there. Hopefully it cleans up. This sprocket has kind of grown on me.

cranks_zps4odntc28.jpg~original

Looks like this style was on a lot of the Huffy muscle bikes with coaster or 3 speed hubs?

So this bike would have been made in Dayton OH? That's just an hour's drive from here.

Last edited:
I dig those frame caps! She is coming along nicely!

If the serial number on the frame has an H as the second digit, that was made in Dayton, if it is a CC it was made in Cali.

Man, looked at the polish job...man that og paint is nice!

Latest posts

Back