Mesa Buggie - WuGgie ...New seat post! pg 4

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OddJob

Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
This is my Mesa Buggie klunker I built during the ORBO (Off-Road Build Off) 2016. She spent the year in the condo, awaiting my return to the desert.

After watching a number of the klunkers last year, and some of the muscle bikes this past Fall get converted to geared bikes, I decided my 60+ yr old knees could use some help cruising the canyons of Mesa, Arizona.

I will be using some parts off one of my earliest mt bikes from the late ´80s....Shimano thumb shifter, 6 speed freewheel, and Deore crank with single 39t chainring and vintage Rock Ring guard. Along with a 6 bolt disc brake hub rear wheel, disc brake caliper adaptor, Avid 7 disc brake rotor, caliper, and lever, and necessary cable and housing.

All this will be assembled in my newly rented storage space located only 2 blocks from our condo. They had a half-price new year rate that I couldn't resist! This will be my work shop for the next 2+ months. I have dubbed it: BACK40 SW (Southwest)

Here's how the bike sits after last year's build. And a intro video of BACK40 SW....RaT oN!

mesa buggie final.jpg

Sweet, I remember this one. i also hear you on the old knees. I hate gears but single speeds don't do well here...

Sounds like some nice classy upgrades planned for this. Wish I could visit the winter Back40. Sweet klittle fort you got going there.

After watching a number of the klunkers last year, and some of the muscle bikes this past Fall get converted to geared bikes, I decided my 60+ yr old knees could use some help cruising the canyons of Mesa, Arizona.

Sweet, I remember this one. i also hear you on the old knees. I hate gears but single speeds don't do well here...

I thought I could get by with one gear for my work bike being used on level concrete with no wind. First time I felt anything in the knees from riding but most of my other bikes have gears.

Day 2 update. First off, we have a gorgeous full-sun 64 degree day here in AZ. It's 'feels like' -28 back home. Nuff said.:13::)

Here is the parts group for Mesa Buggie WuGgie. Already mounted the 14-32 6spd FW and the 160mm Avid rotor on the new wheel. Along with the CST Cheyene 26x2.4 that was on the CB rear wheel previously.
20170104_100839.jpg

20170104_100848.jpg

Drivetrain consists of Shmano Deore crank with single 39t ring, SRAM 6-8 spd chain, Shimano Eagle long cage rear der (yes, with the holes @Chad T ) and Shimano thumb shifter. Mostly parts from one of my first mtb's from 1988.
20170104_101221.jpg

20170104_100925.jpg

20170104_100933.jpg

Oh, and the one piece to three piece BB conversion kit.

20170104_100944.jpg

The braking will be handled by tge Avid BB7 mountain kit and caliper frame adaptor.

20170104_100912.jpg

Now to just get these stays spread so I can squeeze that wheel in there....
20170104_101023.jpg

I like this bike, but I have a sidetracked question.
At the end of your video, when it shows stills of other videos there's an image. It looks like a guy turning a huge chunk of wood on a big lathe.
Do you know what that is? It looks like it might be awesome.

At the end of your video, when it shows stills of other videos there's an image. It looks like a guy turning a huge chunk of wood on a big lathe.

I don't think those still images of other videos you can watch are necessarily related to the video just watched, but instead, are related to what you have been watching recently on youtube. Therefore, everyone will most likely see completely different images. I certainly didn't see the one you describe. Obviously, if you click on any of those thumbnail images, that particular video will play.

That's my take on it anyway. :39:

Glen.

OJ. The Silverking is noticing the short derailleur cage and age of that old rear shimano changer. How stiff(wear & mileage) is that steel beast when mounted? And how will that jive with the cool old index shifter and new chain & chain wheels? As you know, once the miles are on them they are kinda "loose", or "sloppy shall I say?:13: Have any xt's laying around? Man, it looks cold back in Minnesota compared to the desert!!

Well well well lookie here lookie here old odd job in the back 40 again . As if the Mesa Buggie wasn't awesome enough but gears,disc breaks & a 3 price crank !!!! This is going to be a sweet Rider for sure . [emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like Glen says below, I think they show images of recently viewed vids, or ones similar. Mine showed a guy riding a mtb downhill, a jazz guitarist, and a contestant on America's Got Talent ....so, now you know what I do in my spare time. LOL :21:

OJ. The Silverking is noticing the short derailleur cage and age of that old rear shimano changer. How stiff(wear & mileage) is that steel beast when mounted? And how will that jive with the cool old index shifter and new chain & chain wheels? As you know, once the miles are on them they are kinda "loose", or "sloppy shall I say?:13: Have any xt's laying around? Man, it looks cold back in Minnesota compared to the desert!!
Hahaha! Yeah, there is some wear to that Eagle der. The thumbie is actually in pretty good shape, I got a sponsor from Grip Shift (the first rendition!) to use their stuff so this crank, thumbie, and Deore pedals didn't get a ton of use. (SRAM, now owner of Grip Shift, was owned by Girvin in those days and they briefly made a tubular crank arm that was actually really stiff). I will run the thumb shifter in friction mode likely, and will try a bolt on der once my adaptor arrives (thanks to @Chad T for the tip!) if this Eagle doesn't 'fly'...

Well well well lookie here lookie here old odd job in the back 40 again . As if the Mesa Buggie wasn't awesome enough but gears,disc breaks & a 3 price crank !!!! This is going to be a sweet Rider for sure . [emoji95]

Hey G! Thanks for the kudos. Hopefully it will all come together. We shall soon see....

Like Glen says below, I think they show images of recently viewed vids, or ones similar. Mine showed a guy riding a mtb downhill, a jazz guitarist, and a contestant on America's Got Talent ....so, now you know what I do in my spare time. LOL :21:

Yeah... I wasn't game enough to let on what came up after I watched your video :rolleyes:

Mine showed a guy riding a mtb downhill, a jazz guitarist, and a contestant on America's Got Talent ....so, now you know what I do in my spare time. LOL :21:
Yeah... I wasn't game enough to let on what came up after I watched your video :rolleyes:
Diresta, RoadKill, Engine Masters and MightyCarMods filled my screen...

Alright alright alright! Time for an update on Mesa Buggie WuGgie:

After many attempts, I finally came upon an idea to get the rear triangle spread and insert the rear wheel. I used the original fork of the bike, stuck the legs between the chain stays with the bike upside down, got the drive side axle in, and then did an extra tug on the brake side to get it to sit in.

The dropout slot on the brake side will need a washer between frame and axle nut, not enough 'purchase' as it sits. But the chain line looks real good, and after I hack off the adapter mount screw ends and cut the big tab on the too side of the frame drop out, the caliper will line up nicely with the rotor!

20170108_101756.jpg

20170108_101908.jpg

20170108_102019.jpg

And with the G-force of the caliper grabbing the rotor in a 'top-forward' counter clockwise direction, it should theoretically pull up and back on the axle as the seat stay provides leverage to the braking hub/rotor combo.
20170108_102518.jpg

Of course, until it's put to the test, it's all theory at this point!

Last edited:
Interested setup on the caliper . Looks like it should work . Alway a challenge retro fitting parts on theses old bikes .

Latest posts

Back