Mid-Western Flyer X-16 :: Assembled and Riding pg. 5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My second year, and getting started on day one instead of day sixty!

I'm going to build from scratch a bike that emulates the Western Flyer X-53, one of my top 5 favorite classics. It won't be an exact replica by any means, just going to bring in some of the elements, evoke the spirit of the X-53, and give it some modern 2016 style.

I'm being ambitious, using double butted chromoly frame materials. If my welding doesn't hold up to the thin, thin material, I might have to switch to thicker plain gauge tubes.

The pic shows some of what I have gathered for parts. There's a bike in there somewhere, right? The frame tubes are on the way.

IMG_2371.JPG

Watching to see this bike develop, I like X-53 bikes too.

I'm liking the sound of this build.

You had me at 'favorite classic'...! Rat on!

Petty progress today. Picked up a full argon bottle and ran some practice welds on scrap pieces of seat tube, 0.9mm (or 0.035" for us Imperialists.) A challenge not to burn through, for sure.

(* note: my handle is NOT "Stack-of-Dimes-John") :bigsmile:
image.jpg
image.jpg

No more than I weld anymore, your weld looks about like one of mine. The funny thing is, about the time I am finishing a project my welds are looking great.......then I put it down for another 6 months, and the process repeats itself!

Sounds great I admire you guys who build your own frames . I would have to build mine out of wood lol. I will enjoy watching [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta keep smiling! I need the weld practice anyway.
And in truth I expected to fail, which is why I bought an extra main tube. But I had to try. I guess I'll have a less curvy frame than I hoped. I'll call it part of the modernization look. I only lost 4-1/2" of tube, so not a complete waste.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here's the rear triangle snapped together. These investment cast drops fit right into the CS/SS ends (or into 1/2" x 0.065" plain tube as well) and weld up really nice and easy.

I should get to prepping, filing, and welding over the weekend, depending on honey-do's.

Between work and doing honey--I mean--honey-do's :happy:... all I managed today was a sketch of what it would look like with straight tubes and the concept tank/scoop.

Bending the middle bars and rack should be no problem.

What 'cha think? Straight main frame work?
image.jpg

I like your concept drawing a LOT!!!!
GO FOR IT!!!

Latest posts

Back