"Mighty Rat Gumbo"

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF #7' started by CeeBee, May 11, 2012.

1. CeeBee

CeeBee

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I have been waiting on the right theme to come to mind before I threw in my hat. Gonna base the build on the "ingredients" and "recipe" for building a Rat Rod bike. The name is inspired by Little Feat's "Rad Gumbo". I have several frames to choose from now, but have an oppurtunity next week to pick through some other options, so just wanted to get the theme out there for now. More to come!

2. MplsCoaster

MplsCoaster

0   0   0

At least the hard part is done, right? :lol: Good Luck

3. tin machine

tin machine

0   0   0

will be waiting to pounch right on it dude ...we need pics pics pics !!!!!!!! :p :!:

4. CeeBee

CeeBee

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Pics are coming! I had to start a post as soon as I got the idea this time. I'm on my third idea now and the first two were already taken.
    The first idea was "X-106"-based on an X-53, but twice as good. With at least two X-53 builds going I put that one on hold. (But now that I have put that name and theme out there , I officially claim it as mine for a future build 8) )
    My second idea was a variation of this theme, but called "Rat Stew". That sounded a lot like "Rat Salad" so I needed to change it up a bit.
    I can always count on the music on my ipod to inspire me for most things, so when I heard "Rad Gumbo" I knew that was the new plan...luckily it played before "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen :lol:

5. yoothgeye

yoothgeye I <3 Single Speeds Moderator

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Take one old frame, add flat black paint, red rims, and whitewall tires, mix well...

Good luck!

6. CeeBee

CeeBee

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Youthgeye, I'm hoping to step it up a bit more than the cliche formula. Gonna be pretty spicy gumbo!

7. CeeBee

CeeBee

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Just some teaser pics for now, but here's some of the parts that may/will find their way into the big ol' pot of Gumbo
    [​IMG]
    This Offy valve cover was laying in the floorboard of a Corvair I bought years ago. I don't have the match to it and I don't know for sure what it fits, so it shall become part of the tank for this build.
    [​IMG]
    One of these lights will be the head light, not quite sure yet which, but I am leaning toward the hexagonal shaped one on the left.
    [​IMG]
    This old motorcyle siren will get used in some way, I have a couple of options simmering in the pot, but not 100% sure which I will go with.

As I said in my original post, I have a chance to pick through some complete bikes and frames later this week, so I am not officially choosing a frame yet. However, if I don't end up with something else at that time, I will be using this.
    [​IMG]

As far as the rest of the ingredients, I don't want to give away all my plans at once. I will say that I have a plan for a home brewed springer that as far as I know has never been done.

8. CeeBee

CeeBee

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Dug through some parts and have a few more ingredients to throw in the pot. As with any Gumbo, you throw a little bit of everything in the pot. One aspect of this build will be that no two parts (or sets of parts like the wheels and fenders) come from the same bike.
    Gonna use these Worksman wheels:
    [​IMG]
    Probably will be using one of these JC Higgins racks. My plans include cutting the rack, so it may be hard for me to use the Colorflow rack!
    [​IMG]
    These unknown fenders are going in the mix, too:
    [​IMG]

Of course, with any good cajun recipe, you got to add some spice. Keep a look out for a variation of the "Heat" that I used on my "Heatliner"
    [​IMG]

9. Diabolical_Dork

Diabolical_Dork

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

You have some awesome parts there! Can't wait to see what you do with them 8)

10. dogdart

dogdart

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I second that

11. Road Master

Road Master

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

The unknown fenders are Roadmaster Luxury Liners. The green framed bike looks like a Cleveland Welding Western Flyer. Have Fun! Robert

12. kingfish254

kingfish254 Check out the 30+ Items in my FOR SALE thread! Pro Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Is there a build thread on your Heatliner? Do you have more pics?

13. Green P1

Green P1

0   0   0

I love the Offy VC tank idea. Are you going to come up with a way to have the cover facing up or on it's side?

14. Xcruiser

Xcruiser

0   0   0

Youve got a very unique parts selection to choose from,Id imagine we will see some fresh ideas out of this build!!!!

15. CeeBee

CeeBee

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

[​IMG]
    This will be my frame. The deal I had going on some other frames to choose from never materialized, so I had to pick something to get going. Nothing but the frame itself will be used from this bike.
    [​IMG]
    Got to have a little bird poop in the gumbo mix!
    The frame is a "no headbadge" 24" straightbar, but with a little work on the drop outs I think I can get the Worksman wheels in there.
    [​IMG]
    My original plan on the valve cover tank was to mount it from the side, but I think I'm gonna notch it and drop it over the top tube:
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully now that I have the frame picked out I can get in high gear and start making some progress!

KIngfish, I never did a build thread on the Heatliner, but I may ad some pics in the Gallery section when I get a chance.
    Roadmaster, thanks for the info on the fenders-I may pull them out of the plans for now. I probably don't need to be cutting on them!

16. NewOrleansFlyer

NewOrleansFlyer

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Off to the junk yard to look for valve covers...great idea!

17. Green P1

Green P1

0   0   0

I think facing the valve cover up Is defiantly the way to go if you've only got one of the two.

18. mitchelangelo

mitchelangelo

0   0   0

notching another valve cover under the top bar and bolting the two together may look pretty rad too! Just an idea.
    Looking good!!

19. Road Master

Road Master

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

You may not be happy with the frame but all us Cleveland Welding Fans will be supporting you. Have Fun! Robert

20. CeeBee

CeeBee

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Roadmaster, I am plenty happy with it. I just was holding out for the potentially greener grass that might have been! Actually, I am glad I went 24", if for no other reason than I can show what can be done with what everyone else passes on. In some ways the proportions of the smaller frame look better to me.