(ORBO) Mini-Klunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided to jump in late after waiting for a nice heavy 26" frame to come along. No frame yet has been seen so I'm going with this bike, Fury, from the MBBO. After taking another ride on a hard banana seat, it dawned on me that this bike is better suited as a klunker. And most of my college work is done already for this semester. It's already got the wheels and tires for off road, and a coaster brake. It needs a seat, handlebars and a couple other things, and paint, but it's definitely rugged enough. I used the Mini-Klunk name on a build
I planned for last years annual build off that never was completed, it actually became a statue for Humanities class! I'm bringing back the name with a better frame to start with thinking it will be one tough klunker. So here's a 20" entry in the build off:
DSCI0321 - Copy_zpshmzpkrx9 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Klunk on brother!

I lucked out at the bike shop, they had a seat stem that was long enough and the right diameter. This bike had a blue piece of pipe or something as a stem. The new one also was laid back a little which I'll need. They also had the handlebars I wanted, with some rise and not too wide (for riding in traffic here). The old grips are bmx style so they fit right in. Now to decide between a sprung leather saddle or regular seat. I debating whether or not to remove the wheel discs also.
DSCI0003 - Copy.JPG
DSCI0009 - Copy.JPG

So it's ready for a test ride in the morning. The seat is nearly over the rear axle, so I'll have to see how that rides. If need be, I have dropout extensions that can add 4 inches of wheelbase. But I like the way it looks now, rugged and compact. I'm using a regular sprung seat instead of my good one, because this bike will get ridden hard.
DSCI0013.JPG
I was thinking of Orange or Red with silver tank, but it may be good as it is. If the ride tomorrow goes good, it's ready!

Transition is great!
I like it the way it is, color wise, like you could just toss it in the back of the truck and go or lay it down on the side of the trail or street without a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It passed the off road and beach tests. The 2 speed auto has just the right gearing in low for the sand. I was working too hard pedaling to the Beach because with these thick tires it's hard to tell if they need air. After I aired up at the station, it rode much easier. I was concerned about the seat stem, but it didn't bend at all, so it's good too. The front end comes up easily if I lean back but isn't a problem. So it's done!
DSCI0033.JPG
DSCI0037.JPG
DSCI0039.JPG
DSCI0042.JPG

Attachments

• DSCI0045.JPG
    DSCI0045.JPG
    484.5 KB · Views: 206
Great transformation Barry!

skipper - Copy.jpg
IMG_20160314_185432.jpg
On the second ride the seatpost bent. I also found the fenders so it will get a makeover, it's not finished yet. Olive green paint maybe. I hope to get a piece of metal tubing to sleeve the setpost so it won't bend, or use a piece of square stock that will fit in there. I did that before with a friend's old skipper with a very long stem. He was near 275 lbs and it held up.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back