Mink oil alternative

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I've had a heck of a time finding mink oil and when I finally do the gal at the counter says it's been recalled? Did some web searching and found where some animal rights goobers put some kind of acid in the cans.Short of ordering some online is there anything else that works good.I've got an old brooks B 66 in dire need of attention.

Where are you looking for your mink oil? Walmart always has it next to the shoe polish by the shoes.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I picked up at the sporting goods store a 4 ounce bottle of "GLOVOLIUM...Rawlings Advanced Formula" glove treatment with Lanolin. I found it in the baseball department, so I assumed it was used for baseball gloves. It is a thin liquid which soaks right in to the leather. I treated a very dry saddle by applying a number of applications. It also did wonders for my winter cracked hands (lol).

Be aware that Neatsfoot Oil comes in NF Oil and Nf 'Compound'. Dont use the 'Compound' on your top leather products. Lay the leather in the sun (NEVER in an oven!) to warm and rub the NF Oil in by hand. If it is really dry you may have dry rot, but try it anyway. Do this once a day for a week then once a month for 3 or 4, then about every 6mo.. Keep a rain/sun cover for that saddles protection in the elements. If you dont want to get oil stains on your nice white bike shorts dont wear white...... A buffed on beeswax coating can help as a topcoat.
Also, dont use '3 in 1 oil', or any other petroleum based oil on leather you really care about.

I've always used Proofide, but its usually only available at higher end bike shops or online...

Latest posts

Back