(MMBO 1) The Jackalope (DONE!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The color gave me the idea of a Caterpillar Yellow Bike with their log.:thumbsup:
This is definitely a strange color. Every body that sees it describes it differently but in person it really does look close to what they use on Cats.

Those decals make all the difference. I see your headbadge decal and am wishing I had gone with a new one. I used an original NOS one from '71. They were reflective originally, so I wanted to go with original, and am getting some reflective material to cut the fork darts from as well. The problem is, the original is showing some age. Regardless, it's on my frame and has been clear coated over to protect it, so that is that. Your white just pops more than mine.

You are making your own fork darts? Hmmm. Picking up my chain guard and fender decals today. Fork darts are the only decal I am lacking. I was thinking about laving them off as this fork is so unusual anyway, but I might have do a little experimenting.

On the Huffy Rail in '71/'72 the dart was an upsidedown triangle made from a reflective material. I've got some reflective material coming (hopefully), so I'll just make the pattern and add them. I'm not a huge fan of them, but I'm trying to keep it original, so there we go.

I like the darts from '69 and before. I actually got a set of them for it, but I'm not going to use them because, like I said, I decided to go original. If you'd like them, we can work that out. They are the ones on the right for a 20"

$(KGrHqR,!hwE2JC,8hQVBNqn26wi!Q~~_12.JPG

I really dig that fork! Can't wait to see it all come together.

Chain guard is done! Getting the fenders right is not an easy task. Had to walk away from it for a while but I haven't thrown in the towel yet.

After a whole lot of frustrating trial and error, I am finally happy with the stripes on the fenders. I greatly underestimated the difficulty in getting them straight on a compound curve but at the end of the day I want them to look like they came out of the Huffy factory so they cant look too perfect.

I got the darts and some nice long end caps from Crash yesterday. Darts are already on the fork and the front end is ready to go on.

Well I am all done. I have been waiting for the weather to cooperate so I could get some good pictures but it doesn't look like that is happening anytime soon. On top of that I am sicker than a really sick dog so I think I will have to make due with the photos I took right after assembly a few days ago. If I can get better pics before the deadline I will post them in the Finished Bikes thread, but no guarantees.

Jackalopevan006_zps5ffc752c.jpg

Great work, awesome and RARE little bike!

Luke.
Yup, its RARE all right. So rare some have speculated that the Jackalope is a hoax, but we know better.

Latest posts

Back