modern headset for Columbia Superb

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[EDIT] I reword my request:
Hi
Here is the deal: I have a Columbia Superb frame that I suspect from the late 30s (straight down tube); I would like to turn it into a nice 26" klunker but at this stage, I have no fork nor a headset
for it;.
The head tube inner diameter is 33mm, so in terms of headset, I should be looking at old school bmx /EC33 headset
I found this:
http://www.natsukashi.jpn.com/en/st...-old-school-bmx-threaded-headset-black-1-inch (improved on the classic with sealed bearings! Nice!)
which means I need to look for a 26" 1" threaded steerer fork (at a REASONABLE price).
Now in terms of look, I would love to fit such a fork (26" straight rigid segmented fork as an example can be found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GIANT-MTB-...&LH_PrefLoc=2&_nkw=giant+segmented+fork&rt=nc
but after extensive search on the internet, I found these only come in 1 1/8 threadless steerer; I cannot find any such 1" threaded alternatives
so now, another alternative would be to find a EC33 1 1/8 threadless steerer fork...
I found this thread "How To Convert 1inch Threaded To 1 1/8 Threadless" and then this one
1 1/8 threadless headsets machined for your old frame
contacted chattymatty but got no answer at this stage
could anybody help with a solution:
- either a 26" straight rigid segmented fork with a 1" threaded steerer
- or a EC33 1 1/8 headset, ideally with sealed bearings?
Thanks a lot!

[original post]
Hi,
I am desperately looking for a headset for a prewar Columbia Superb (straight bar).
Ideally I would also like a modern headset (sealed bearings, that kind of stuff...), the inner diameter for the head tube is 33 mm
can anybody offer a good recommendation?
Thanks a lot in advance
Beng

Last edited:
Thanks Duchess.
I measured it again with an electronic caliper and it definitely 33.10 at the most - I don't think I could fit a 34mm OD
You can always take a little material off on a lathe. But then you better not use sealed bearings, since the cup heats when you cut it and grease can burn out. I know it the hard way, modified EC34 headset for my Dyno-like frame with 33mm head tube. This works perfectly, EC34 headsets have enough material on cups to take 1mm (0.5 from wall thickness) off.

That's a good point about the bearings, so take them out if you go to turn down a 34mm. It took a while for me to find the right fit for the Spaceliner, so there may also be something that fits a 33 mm. You may have to become a bit of a PI to find it, however you might end up talking like Philip Marlowe and drinking way too much and, cool as that is, I accept no responsibility for how that may affect your relationships.

Latest posts

Back