Modifying old saddles?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all the different bicycle modifications on this site, I wonder if anyone has tried what I am thinking of doing. Relocate the mounting holes in a seat frame to move the mounting point forward. I have used lay back seat posts on most of my bikes but in this case the simplest means to scoot the seat back an inch or so seems to be drilling a hole.
2d5c0cdf1808ced4f5a01f9b53d32ad0.jpg
946f0a216b2f51cf44dfb91660dd856d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I don't know if have access to a welder. Is there enough of a straight section to cut it on the red lines here, flip the rectangle and weld in place. This way you don't have to figure out how to make square holes, and could tack with the bolt in place to insure good alignment.
946f0a216b2f51cf44dfb91660dd856d.jpg

Yeah, no welder. A bit of work with a triangle file will square the hole. Really only need a square hole on one side for the bolt head.

There are special tools for making square holes. They are called broaches and look like that:
standard-square.jpg

You start with a normal hole of needed diameter, and then pull the broaches through, making this hole square.

More weight behind the pivot might mean it slips and tilts backwards?
Good question. I guess if it does I could run a turnbuckle from the crossbar between the springs down to a clamp on the seat post maybe?

I agree with Luke as I've found that style clamp tends to slip unless it's a quality one that's never had the teeth turned against each other under even moderate pressure, so I'd plan to put a brace in. Probably wouldn't have to be too massive, but I think you'll need it. With the weight sitting farther back, you'll also be putting more stress on the seat post where it goes into the frame and I don't know what size seat post the bike uses, but the old bikes had rather small diameter tubes. (On Interrobang, I had to raise the seat post pretty high and that required me to insert a solid rod into the tube to keep it from bending and I'm about average size.) I wonder if you could have a rear seat brace that used the pinch bolt to secure it. Maybe a yoke with a threaded rod, which would allow you to adjust the seat angle and height that way?

The original photos are somewhat exaggerated. If you look at this picture, the previously mentioned Messenger is on the right and a similar size Troxel is on the left. Notice the Troxel clamp can be adjusted about an inch more forward than the non-adjustable Messenger. I figure if I don't go any further forward than the Troxel can, I should be okay.
Perhaps I am figuring wrong?
eb3b8e571a6fd1532b3e6bec00962e04.jpg

If the other one was good in the forward position, I would think you'd probably be fine, then.

Latest posts

Back