Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Beast will be here tomorrow, so tonight I came up with a probably stupid idea:

FSBEAST_zpsa0c525ea.jpg

I already have several used rear shocks, including a pretty nice Fox alps 4 that has about 1 1/2 stroke. I also already have the curved black link pieces.

So I would need to make the seat stays, shock mount, and pivots. Since its all steal, those parts would be pretty easy to fab. I would probably just find a used cheapie FS bike and use the pivots etc...

Once I get my beast, I probably wont want to cut it up, but Ive done worse before!

You can achieve the same amount of travel by letting some air out of the tires. But be aware it really smells so do that outdoors and down wind. :)

No offense, but ya gotta admit, that was pretty funny. I usually use air too, but i do it from the inside of the grip...

worked for me. Blam!

It worked that time. I've come close to doing that, it ballooned up, then I yanked it off real quick. The grip was messed up cosmetically, but not popped! haha Good thing though since it wasn't my grip.

blown240 said:
My Beast will be here tomorrow, so tonight I came up with a probably stupid idea:

Once I get my beast, I probably wont want to cut it up, but Ive done worse before!
That is an awesomely stupid idea. One good thing for you is that the chain stays are already ridiculously long, So, the geometry after the mod will be similar to the current geometry. Can't wait to see it!

I had three Beasts arrive today. 1 of each color. Red for me, blue and green for my buddies boys. Odd that FedEx didn't drop them off till almost 7pm. I may get started on mine tonight and tomorrow I will show my buddies boys how to set one up.

DEE3E6E9-2432-408B-B0DC-A04D09BD00F5-19389-000015FFDCEFE889_zps26e3ee9d.jpg

I got my red one together. Here's a pic. I'll have all the details in my build thread.

587E4BD3-30AF-4AA6-AAAD-BA7B7E97A9B1-19516-0000163E74C12CD7_zps4ebaac17.jpg

Did you learn any new swears when the FedEx guy was dropping 3 of them bad boys off? :wink: :lol:

Actually no. He had all of them at the door before he rang the bell. By the time I got to the door he was driving off.

Still surprised he didnt want to get them off the truck any earlier...

Hello everyone its funny I've been following this thread and how in it it mentions how a .... ton of these were sold at burning man and I just so happened to buy one off craigslist for 100 bucks bought and only used at burning man lmfao and I'm way out in san diego, ca... but there is a catch for that 50% off deal the .... thing fell off the car on the way to burning man so the handle bars had to be replaced not sure if I like the one that on there and the seat got a lil ripped up but that's it!!! The rims are still true all the welds are intact and everything is straight (forks, frame, etc.) Now I have read this whole thread but I don't understand bike talk so if someone can tell me in basic English what I need for a new crank, I would also like to change out the handle bars so is that a universal thing or do I need some special size? Here are some late night pics of it stored away on my sailboat kinda dark will post better ones tomorrow. Umm.... how do u post a picture? Fml

more4u2c said:
can tell me in basic English what I need for a new crank, I would also like to change out the handle bars so is that a universal thing or do I need some special size? Here are some late night pics of it stored away on my sailboat kinda dark will post better ones tomorrow. Umm.... how do u post a picture? Fml

New cranks, mostly anything that is square taper, search for that term to see some options.

Handle bars... I don't remember if they are 7/8" at the clamp or if they are larger, either way, you just measure the bars where they are in the clamp (the stem) and you will have TONS of options.

Hey yoothgeg I really like your bullhorns but the ones I've been finding at my bike shop are like 21cm how wide are yours?

Latest posts

Back