Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went on a 7 mile ride. I put it through sand and grass along the way. There's an urge to jump a creek or something. It was a workout. The rear sprocket has 18 teeth. So I looked through my sprockets to see if I could ease the gear ratio. I wanted to put a 20 tooth sprocket on, but all I have are 22's. This is from my Jemima wheel that was converted to a skiptooth. So I added a link to the chain and a bigger rear sprocket. It may be too easy, but we'll see. Rain for the next 24 hours here.

2nsxv05.jpg

I've got a 22 tooth coming for mine, but I'm looking to make it as easy to pedal as I can. Now I'm debating on getting a layback post from slowriderz or buy the yellow padded vintage BMX style seat.

This is some simple fun though, ain't it?

Cheers,
Dr. T

I added 2 links for the 22, but the brake brace limits the rearward adjustment of the axle in dropouts, so just add just one link. If I go with a 20 tooth sprocket, I'll have to mod the brake arm.

If you would like to see a fine example of what this bike can become, look on mtbr thread "Pet My Beast" and check out what this person did. NICE!!! Looks like the bar is set high for a fat bike/racer look. He cut the brace out of the seat stays, presume it is to shorten effective length of the stays for climbing. (Or 'cause it looks cooler to tuck it up closer.) Personally, I prefer panel graphics, but I'm old school. :D

Wildcat said:
I added 2 links for the 22, but the brake brace limits the rearward adjustment of the axle in dropouts, so just add just one link. If I go with a 20 tooth sprocket, I'll have to mod the brake arm.

I just put on a 20 tooth without any issues or modifications. Makes a world of difference. I live in Key West so there aren't any hills or inclines, so the 36/20 is the perfect combination for me.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I added a set of red BMX bars because I wanted a more upright riding position.
DSCF3784_zpsc36c96ea.jpg

Cheers,
Dr, T

Dr. T - what brand are those BMX bars? They look like exactly what I'm looking for to raise the bar height, and seem to be a perfect colour match.

[/quote]I just put on a 20 tooth without any issues or modifications. Makes a world of difference. I live in Key West so there aren't any hills or inclines, so the 36/20 is the perfect combination for me.[/quote]

That sounds about right, the 22 is a little low for the street, but good on grass and sand. I think I'll keep it 22 for awhile. A 2 speed auto would be perfect.

I put mine on the work stand today to take apart and reassemble, here are a few notes:

:arrow: headset bearings had no grease and was too tight, greased/adjusted and turns smooth now.

:arrow: bottom bracket had barely any grease and metal shavings. I cleaned it out and greased it up, should be much better now.

:arrow: right side bottom bracket cup is probably cross threaded, you can see that it isn't seated flat against the BB, so I did not remove it, but checked and it is tight and going nowhere.

:arrow: the chain guard mounts easily break off if you tighten down an adjustable wrench on it and bend back a forth a couple times. Will file smooth and put some paint over them to inhibit rust.

I looked around and the biggest coaster cog I have is a 19t... I am still going to go smaller in the front, so I'm debating on whether or not to install the 19t, is one tooth worth the trouble?

Anyone want a cool chainguard for a Pixie Beast build. :p
WP_001054.jpg

Randythe Rat said:
got mine today.
081_zps9c2e602b.jpg

That really does look like a Giant Pixie
IMG_1553.jpg

Wildcat said:

You might try using a half link.

I'm still very happy with my purchase, like I sad before it arrived, I've bought other Walmart bikes before, I knew what I was getting into.

Alright, here's what to expect on the wheel bearings, a thin coating of clear sticky grease:
57DA4734-80DA-43A9-83E5-085B91A3F26F-2975-0000028D259724EA.jpg

And this is one from the "Lazy Bicycle Mechanic Handbook" (currently being written by me):
DF4FA17E-5280-4946-B00C-12382D505CEE-2975-0000028D0F0D5429.jpg

That's white lithium grease in a turkey baster, does great for just squirting grease into bearings quick with very little mess.

Plus, it smells great when the bearing get hot. :mrgreen:

Great idea. I need to go buy a turkey baster this weekend.

kingfish254 said:
Plus, it smells great when the bearing get hot. :mrgreen:

Great idea. I need to go buy a turkey baster this weekend.

I came up with this idea a couple years ago and started with a turkey baster, I still have it in the shop, but looking at the photo, that's actually just a large syringe, easily available if you know anyone in the health care industry.

Latest posts

Back