Mongoose Beast Fat Bike build and ideas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I broke out the propane torch and Blued the frame,then a light mist of glitter on frame and a heavy coat on forks..
Still waiting on more stickers for stickerbomb..also installed a 32t Truative crankset...and a 23t cog,,and a Zefal seat.
I have an old ladys Hawthorne seat I plan on putting on,but I need to figure out to widen the rails on it..

DSC01264.jpg

DSC01263.jpg

DSC01262.jpg

After 5 hours in the yard doing spring lawn stuff, I decided the old stickers weren't cutting it and besides they looked like this.
4ecd4c02a70a21bfcd36d7f3c19e1a78_zpsa66934dd.jpg

So, got a vintage set of Mongoose Expert Pro decals from Smoopy

IMG_20130405_183726_zps2c78c3e7.jpg

ahhh....that's better

DSCF3791_zpsbf5fd33b.jpg

DSCF3790_zpse502d6e8.jpg

DSCF3789_zps1c4539a2.jpg

DSCF3788_zps66880303.jpg

DSCF3787_zps7b61df14.jpg

Next up a vintage yellow padded seat, yellow chain, yellow pedals and some pads for the stem and handlebars.

See ya soon!

Cheers,
Dr. T

deorman said:
With the stem at the line, and the post close to an inch above it :roll: :lol: , pretty good. If the bars were lower or pulled back, I'd need a long throw stem or a bent seat post. I haven't ridden it more than a mile yet though. :|
deorman, how tall are you? i'm 6'3", and trying to figure out if there is any hope of fitting on one of these, and riding it pretty aggressively. thanks!

Looking sharp Tank!

Those are great-looking posts. As a mountain bike type of guy, I am wondering about banging my knees on the stem when I stand up on steep climbs.
Rat Rod said:
Hey Bill....I'm about to receive a custom made layback seat post from member "slowriderz" this week.

I'll be posting pics of how it turns out.

He's our resident seat post guru...

viewtopic.php?t=59700

Acustomizer said:
0FB07164-627E-49C9-89DB-77E3FDEE529D-19416-00000A9D6EED41E9_zps8cb13416.jpg

No more badges, added apes, flipped seat to sit further back, small 5 LED light mounted to fork. Plans for bananna seat and custom sissy bar.

I think you need to find a way to mount those giant wings to the sissy bar!

Randythe Rat said:
DSCN3121_zpse330d978.jpg

pulled all stickers off
animal pedals
old troxle seat
lubed bottom bracket
headset
that ...just...works!
Now I HAVE to get one!

to answer anyone's crank questions: I put the Truvativ E4001 cranks that others have linked to. They went on without any issues and I used the stock 14m bolts to attach to the spindle. They are excellent cranks for all the torque it takes to push this Beast along. 32x18 gearing. Might go up to 32x20 if I need more spin but after ripping around last night I wouldn't bother till I pull the rear wheel again.

The stock cranks are boat anchors and I had little confidence in the chainring, if that bends you're out of commission.

I still want to pull, grease & adjust the bb and the rear hub.

better look
IMAG0187_zpsda90f78e.jpg

Just saw a Transit standard mount "disc brake" pannier rack at Performance Bike that looks like it should work on here if you put some screw holes in the dropouts.

deorman said:
@Bill in Houston: You got about an inch on me. Front triangle fore and aft is pretty close for steep climbing, even it were geared for the job. :|
Hmm, well, you are the tallest guy i have heard from so far. I need to see one of these in real life... Thanks!

If it's not too much trouble. could someone measure from the center of the spindle to the top of the head tube? I think my current bike is technically too small for me, but it works for me.

Latest posts

Back