"Most over done trend?"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't hating anything, if it sounded that way I'm sorry for that. Just putting my .02 out there. I personaly don't have a problem with anything that goes on anyone's bike. Again, I apologize if that offended.

Yall are fine I just used the wrong word. :mrgreen:

I just thought it kind of funny that yall were dogging rat rod style bikes on a rat rod forum. it just makes me chuckle.

there are many different styles within the rat kingdom, and everyone has there favorites and styles they dont care for as much. i personally dont care for some styles, but i can appreciate the work and thought that went into them. i think thats how everyone feels, no real hate. its kinda like this...im a ford guy, and ive never been a fan of gm. but, when i see a nice chevelle, im still impressed and understand the heart and soul that went into it.

bigredddaddy said:
Trends are what others do to be cool, to fit in. Style is doing cool your own way. It's your bike, hook it up how ya want. I've got bikes on the to-do list that will see semi-flat bk and red rims. Not tryin' to offend anyone either, but I agree that if you ride, you need a helmet. I ride to work everyday and I can tell you how people driving do not pay attention, and cell phones are the biggest offender. A 19yr girl was killed this summer on her bike, the driver was texting and didn't see her. I do think those helmets from crap-mart are ugly thou. I have one picked out
http://www.helmetsrus.com/dotgemabl.html and it's on sale too! :D

That helmet would be cool with some chrome spikes! Might hinder the safety a little though. :lol:

You know any trend is okay in my book, I might not like it at first but it starts to grow on you the more you look at it. For example lowrider bikes, I didn't care for them but I can appreciate the work that goes into them and they are kinda cool in their own right. I personally prefer cruisers but that's me. A lot of locals around here love my bike and are blown away when they find out it started life as a Wal-mart Huffy. The only trend I can't get with are the fixie crowds with the spandex........That's just not for me. :mrgreen:

theyre right. i may not be into some trends, but i can understand others passion for it. and fixies, well.. i built them just to try it out and make a sweet looking bike.
DSCN6418.jpg

outskirts customs said:
... The only trend I can't get with are the fixie crowds........That's just not for me. :mrgreen:

its not so much the Bikes or Fixies, most of those bikes are just beautiful to me- im going to make a beater fixie soon.
Its the peeps riding them that make me shake my head.
The "style" to dress up like a bike messenger, and not be one is weird.
It would be the same as me dressing like Lance Armstrong to walk around the mall.

I don't do make-believe

I do admire fixies that are done nicely like the one Stretch has.

I just hate how they drive up prices. It's the same with the SUV craze again too.

Me, I'd be lost without the ability to coast. :roll:

I posted saying I didn't like fixies. I honestly think they are actually pretty cool bikes, it just seems that they are very hyped up and I also don't like the "fixed gear is superior to everything else" "fixed gear is the cure to cancer" attitudes of the people riding them.

max210 said:
I posted saying I didn't like fixies. I honestly think they are actually pretty cool bikes, it just seems that they are very hyped up and I also don't like the "fixed gear is superior to everything else" "fixed gear is the cure to cancer" attitudes of the people riding them.

I too posted about the fixies, and it's not the bike but the people that ride them around here. The attitude that if you don't ride a fixie you're not a cyclist, around KC the fixie riders are the most risk taking fools, running red lights with on coming traffic, and then flipping people off because the rider is taking stupid risk and saying drivers need to watch out for the cyclist, because bikes have the right of way(not with a stupid riders on them). I ask a guy one time how he would in an emergency, he just looked at me like I was the crazy, and said will you have to go in to a skid and maybe even drop and slide. I just had to ask, what if you slide under a car? he just shook his head and walked away.

Hey Dos, I couldn't have said it better myself. I've got plenty of fixie snobs rolling around here. It's not the hardware they ride,it's their holier than thou attitude when they see us on our rust cycles.
They give me looks like" get off of our bike path with that old piece of junk."

Spokeshave said:
Hey Dos, I couldn't have said it better myself. I've got plenty of fixie snobs rolling around here. It's not the hardware they ride,it's their holier than thou attitude when they see us on our rust cycles.
They give me looks like" get off of our bike path with that old piece of junk."

Exactly, My LBS is owned and operated by one of these fixie snobs. The bikes are kinda cool but I need to coast too. Single speeds are cool though. I love seeing the look on the bike guy's face when I take my bike in to the shop (rarely when I need advice or don't have time to fix it myself) he looks at my bike and says something smart like I wonder if my tetanus shot is up to date..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Bikes are kind of like that tired old line, "any day off of work is a good day", and I feel the same way about bikes. Any kind of bike to me is a "good bike", and who honestly loses any sleep at night fearing that they have put together a bike utilizing some "over done trend along the way"?
Seems like we are spending too much time contemplating our belly buttons when we could be spinning wrenches out in the shop. On another note, as far as the cycling community goes we are a tiny minority and what some believe to be over done is really fresh to most others that don't ever venture into this small pond.

gashuffy63 said:
..as far as the cycling community goes we are a tiny minority and what some believe to be over done is really fresh to most others that don't ever venture into this small pond.

Very true, in my home town of a 100,000 peeps im the only one with red rims, apes, laid back seat and a flat black paint job.

im tires of the flat black,red and white combo .. and its not just in the bicycle community its also the hot rod / car kulture etc community .. and being a pinstriper and having to do a black car the first color combo that comes to the owners mind is .. red and white .. on a black car, im just tired of it thats all .. its like seeing xmas colors all year round , eventually ya just get tired of seeing it . and it sucks bc my car is even flat black hahaha but no red and white pinstripes .. never , thats my 2 cents

Well done is well done, in any calture. I mean if somebody builds something and does it well that's great, but if everyone only does one theme over and over then it's becomes burnt, and nobody likes burnt. So if you do a theme just try to not over do it (I got 28 bikes and they are all 26" ape hingered banana seat low riders with flat black paint, red rims and Big white walls)I'm so cool. LOL
If everybody does the same theme as a competition to see others interpretation of said theme, that's cool. But to me a trend is to do what others are doing just to be cool or appear to be.

So with that said let me enlighten you on most of my bikes. Most of my bikes are OG barn fresh bikes, I mean I have more bikes than I have time to work on them (Hoarder).LOL
I say this as a joke, but I do work on my bikes sometimes I fix them to be just a ridable bike and sometimes I just leave them as is and show them like that OG state of life, dust, rust, flat tires and all. I just like to show people how they were found.

Latest posts

Back