Move the seat to the back?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen some people move their seats further to the back above the fenders... I can't think of a proper way to do this myself. I think I should make custom parts?

That is a great idea! Simple yet functional. This is why I made an account here, I have been thinking about how to do this for weeks now, and you come along with such a simple solution of wich I haven't even thought.

Like this:
20140817_104917_zps299db630.jpg

20140817_104951_zps51f07106.jpg

Be warned, other than a solid post you cannot sit while riding off or up curbs!

banner6.jpg

I was inspired by this picture. I also want to do a bike like this. Sort of a 1920" racer that was rebuilt in the 50" As you can see, the seat is moved further to the back, wich was common amongst the Daytona racers. Speaking about Daytona Racers, mine will most defenetly have the longer handlebars and those will also be moved to the back. Like a 1920"/1930" cafe racer.

Last edited:
Great as those are, the thing is that I want to do most of it myself and preferably from scratch or even better, re-use other materials or parts... So I like Mikeeebike's idea better. Sorry

banner6.jpg

I was inspired by this picture. I also want to do a bike like this. Sort of a 1920" racer that was rebuilt in the 50" As you can see, the seat is moved further to the back, wich was common amongst the Daytona racers. Speaking about Daytona Racers, mine will most defenetly have the longer handlebars and those will also be moved to the back. Like a 1920"/1930" cafe racer.
Glad you were inspired! Here's the seat post that I fabricated for this bike...
100_5358_zps5e5da574.jpg

100_5357_zpsf8505530.jpg

Here's the build thread starting on the page that the post was made. Good luck!

Well, this made me want such a bike even more... But I probably can't make one so beautiful... Then again, the cars in the back explain a lot. I am probably going to make one out of a beach cruiser (Other models are VERY hard to come by in the Netherlands, especially on the cheap). I'm still not sure on the colour though. I can't choose between Indian Red or brown. The rims are defenetly gonna be black and probably the spokes too. I really like your ratrod look, but I'm going with a shiny, painted one. My 'story' behind it is that it was a board track bike, but it was re-built in the 50' for street races. It still has most of the board track components, but it was repainted with 1950' hotrod paint techniques (pinstriping and such).
Suggestions?

Well, this made me want such a bike even more... But I probably can't make one so beautiful... Then again, the cars in the back explain a lot. I am probably going to make one out of a beach cruiser (Other models are VERY hard to come by in the Netherlands, especially on the cheap). I'm still not sure on the colour though. I can't choose between Indian Red or brown. The rims are defenetly gonna be black and probably the spokes too. I really like your ratrod look, but I'm going with a shiny, painted one. My 'story' behind it is that it was a board track bike, but it was re-built in the 50' for street races. It still has most of the board track components, but it was repainted with 1950' hotrod paint techniques (pinstriping and such).
Suggestions?
Sounds like a good plan for a build! Don't be mislead by those shop pictures, most of the work was in my cramped shop at home with common tools. Those pics where in a shop where I had my cousin do the welding, because I'm not a very good welder.:rolleyes:

BTW, don't forget to let us know about you in the INTROS page.:)

I'm
Sounds like a good plan for a build! Don't be mislead by those shop pictures, most of the work was in my cramped shop at home with common tools. Those pics where in a shop where I had my cousin do the welding, because I'm not a very good welder.:rolleyes:

BTW, don't forget to let us know about you in the INTROS page.:)
I'm sorry, but I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do on the intro page. Could anyone explain this to me?

Last edited:
Just go to the intros area and start a thread. Say something about "hey I'm new ; I'm from ; here's my bike ; came here because/for ; and so on

Also depending the size of seat post and just how far back you want your seat you may keep an eye out for factory lay back posts.

Here is 1 I just got off a cheap parts bike.
eb2ac3bd06d0dc576045d46fe0f1ef20.jpg

And the bar end deal didn't work for more than a mile for me at 230lbs.

This post inspired me to try using a couple par ends I had laying around. I cut one and used it for my seat post. Then used my existing seat post through the clamp horizontally to let me sit back farther
55070a8ff64a287dae62cc45d60885f3.jpg

127bd8bd9c7e9b9e7f37f75c93f46ed5.jpg

Then I went one step further, using the other bar end to make a dog walking attachment using a $5 spring, a Vitter pin and some jb weld
3c260ad6d5193642e93c3d6d525757fa.jpg

Then I moved that one behind my bar end post with the seat attached behind it. The finished product looks like this
e4095b6307b40384aceb903a0417c7bf.jpg

My dog loves it. No longer is she skiddish around the bike. She is now my cruising buddy.
42ffab9bc0ed076d9e6aae462e6f1a03.jpg
d91d75ad1e15e196598ad831b44d91e5.jpg

Thank you. It sure keeps this ADHD boxer from getting crazy or in the way. She just cruises Along happily now. The very large cotter pin between the leash and the spring provides a safety release in case she pulls too hard so neither of us get hurt

Latest posts

Back