BO15 Mudd (my name is)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the welcome. I've got a set of Emgo enduro bars and a double clamp for the build. The chainstay width is going to be the deciding factor on the tires but I'm guessing 2.3 by eyeeball
I put 2.35 Fat Franks on my 47 higgins with some room to spare. Interested in those truss rods if you want to part with them.

I put 2.35 Fat Franks on my 47 higgins with some room to spare. Interested in those truss rods if you want to part with them.
Thanks for the tire information. I'm going to try to use the truss rods with the BMX fork, I've seen a few done that way and it gives them a sweet vintage vibe. If it doesn't work out I'll give you a shout. They are kind of rough though.

My frame followed me to work tonight. The chainstay bite before and after
20200518_185341.jpg
20200518_190201.jpg

So I'm a big human, 6'1" and 220 lbs. When I was a wee lad I had a bike with crimped and spot welded dropouts that came apart from riding like an idjit. Given my additional mass I decided early on that the chainstays would be welded to prevent that from happening. I added a tab for the reaction arm so I wouldn't have to use a clamp.

20200518_190707.jpg

The next step in my build is paint stripping and final inspection of the frame. That is going to have to wait a day or two while the humidity comes down because of flash rust. There is one small dent in the seat tube but I'm not going to fill it because it is a well earned battle scar. I'm up in the air on whether I am going to gusset the seat stays and the top tubes, I'm not even sure if I'd be breaking the contest rules.

This bike is going to be ridden hard on everything from paved paths to deer trails so it needs to be heavy duty. I found a donor bike, an Atlas X-frame, which is a Chinese built industrial bike for $20. It looked like it had been stored in a very active chicken coop for a few years and the frame was fubar. I saved the wheels, double wall aluminum, 12ga stainless spokes, heavy duty front hub, Shimano CB-E110 coaster and they both spin true. The crank is a beast with 170mm arms and in good shape so it is going on with a 39t aluminum chainwheel. The fork is 1 1/8 so no go there (more on the forking blues later) and the two piece stem and MX bars all go into the stash pile. I didn't snap a pick of the donor but it looked like this except filthy to the extreme.

X-typeblue.jpg

After way too much head scratching I ordered a pair of Kenda K-Rads in 26x2.30. The 30-80 psi range sealed the deal.

I'm trying to figure out the color, or as the hipsters say curate my colorways. So I have to start with a disclaimer: Painting ain't my thang. The best painters I know all go for a quick bowl of the devils lettuce before painting and even though its legal here, I'm in a random testing pool so no-no-no.

I've downloaded a whole bunch of pics from the net (which is what brought me here) and my favorite colors so far are Chevrolet engine red-orange, Pontiac engine blue, Detroit diesel green. I get all decided and ten minutes later change it all up. Woe is me. The window for painting can be pretty narrow around here, especially with humidity so I need to decide soon. So far, all the parts getting bolted on are black and chrome so most any color would work. Right now I'm leaning to Detroit diesel green which reminds me a lot of the color Rivendell paints frames that I will never afford. Opinions are welcome.

After way too much head scratching I ordered a pair of Kenda K-Rads in 26x2.30. The 30-80 psi range sealed the deal.

I'm trying to figure out the color, or as the hipsters say curate my colorways. So I have to start with a disclaimer: Painting ain't my thang. The best painters I know all go for a quick bowl of the devils lettuce before painting and even though its legal here, I'm in a random testing pool so no-no-no.

I've downloaded a whole bunch of pics from the net (which is what brought me here) and my favorite colors so far are Chevrolet engine red-orange, Pontiac engine blue, Detroit diesel green. I get all decided and ten minutes later change it all up. Woe is me. The window for painting can be pretty narrow around here, especially with humidity so I need to decide soon. So far, all the parts getting bolted on are black and chrome so most any color would work. Right now I'm leaning to Detroit diesel green which reminds me a lot of the color Rivendell paints frames that I will never afford. Opinions are welcome.
Being a Pontiac fan and Detroit Diesel fan, I approve!
Pontiac blue is a pretty color tho!

View attachment 121598
the giant gusset on the head tube of this is because I still have flashbacks of eating asphalt and gravel when I broke a bike there as a kid. So I understand welding the weak spots
The assembly methods in '47 weren't what we have today, that's for sure. I'm going to dig through my scrap pile and see what I have, probably going to happen since I want this to be a one and done build.

It's not opinion, green bikes are faster. Science!
This is true. Roy G Biv, acronym for the colors of the spectrum. And where does G reside? Dead nuts center like the lead goose in a south bound flight, always leading. Undeniable science.

Tonight I started stripping paint and you cannot imagine the joy that awaited me. I already welded the crank bite in the drive side chainstay. As I was stripping the boring side chainstay, a deep kickstand bite appeared that had been filled with a primitive filler, perhaps polymerized Necco wafers. I welded it up but now am having doubts that Mudd is going to be capable of receiving floggings and asking for more sir, thank you. What to do, what to do.... I have a fork ordered from Atomic Cycles and don't want to cut it down for a frame that might snap right when the chicks are looking. So my plans have changed. All of the extra good parts are going on my Schwiant Heavy Duti and Mudd gets the scraps. The universe has spoken and I must obey. I prepared some artist boards to chronicalize my build.

Original Mudd plan
pencil_sketch_1590035539640.jpg

New Mudd plan

pencil_sketch_1590035799721.jpg

"the devil's lettuce" :21:
"It's not opinion, green bikes are faster. Science! It's not opinion, green bikes are faster. Science!" - hey Matti, you could have told me that before I stripped the green paint off my bike!

Latest posts

Back