Murraycer - now the Airstream Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I've been collecting parts for a couple of months and I'm not quite done collecting, but I thought I would start a thread on my build.

As some of you know my son and I are working on his rat. He is going to help me on mine. Here are the parts:

DSC02795.jpg

It's an old Murray frame that I plan to throw lots of new or newish parts at. I'm attempting to make a very ridable rat racer bobber tourer skid contest winner. I don't like to name bikes and such, but I thought I needed a thread name, so that's why that is up there.

Thanks flying dingo for the frame, bikebuilder for a seat post, blink for a "string of parts", stingrayjoe for a seat, assorted dumpster finds, and lastly ebay (letitrollbikes to be specific).

Re: Murraycer

only your superhuman strength (read; freak of nature) could make that rear wheel/tire fit in that frame. wow.

being a genetic misfit has it's benefits. :wink:

if you look closely you can see where I marked the chain stay with a Sharpie before I widened the frame. That's where the widest part of the tire needed to be. An it's where I placed a 2x3 when I squeezed the frame back together. Last night I hung the frame up from the head tube to do a better check than just eyeballing it. I hung a plumb bob from the seat tube and measured from the string to each drop out. I got lucky. the frame bent pretty equally. I adjusted it a bit. tire spins freely. If it were a old bent rim It would ever work.

I found my crappy phone photos that I took when the frame came out of the box.

1017081822a.jpg

1017081822b.jpg

I was trying it with a new 29er fork I picked up at Nashbar really cheap. I decided to use the Murray fork after I saw someone use 3/8" brake line for a truss. I bought some 3/8" line today.

Brick looks great on there.Any ideas on color(s)?

really happy to see the bike getting attention now. it sat around my shop for a long time, nothing to do with it, i started on it, had a problem with the wheels on it, then gave up...bought other projects.

what are your plans for colors?
i planned on doing the daytona yellow with gunmetal grey or black wheels

it didnt arrive with all those scratches on the headtube did it? i dont remember doing that :?:

I have some ideas about color. one was leave it alone. which went out the window when some of the stripper I was using on Boy's bike got on the head tube. (that should answer your question, dingo) I still might leave it as is. sand it smooth and coat it in flat poly. I might even add some "distressing" to it before the poly coat. or I'll paint it. :? <shrugging> :? Still a work in progress.

I think the yellow on it looks tight with the brick.What's up with the boys bike?

This really bad paint has finally triggered an idea for a theme. Airstream!!! I have an Airstream camper so this is a natural. the frame will be silver. the chain guard will be riveted on as will anything else that would normally bolt or screw on. I have some aluminum panels that I am going to use as a tank. I will rivet them together. I'll need to find some Airstream blue for an accent color, perhaps some scallops. I'm pretty psyched.

here's my trailer: 1973 Overlander
0813081805a.jpg

I love the airstream idea.Right before the Tour De Fat I mistakenly picked up a can of aluminum paint thinking it was gray.I toyed w/ the Airstream idea and even had some pink flamingos which I thought would fit right in.I hope you go with this concept,it would be really cool. 8)
00Hib7-31845584.jpg

That is a very cool concept.Those trailers remind me of the movie "Whats eating Golbert grape?" :)

Do those trailers have buyable taillights that could possibly be put on your bicycle?It would be cool to have it metal with painted rivets,or maybe the real thing.Good luck!

Latest posts

Back