// Muscle Drifter \\ Reverse trike

Aug 25, 2012
Montréal Canada (Québec)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to build Version2 of my 'Real' drift trike .
trying to put something together with what i have at hand to have a better than V1, yet not ideal V2

this was V1 all bolt-on and no bearings in the steering

this is V2
already built the steering parts : Hollow axles /steering arms /short head tubes and steerer tubes.
+ trailler mag wheels

Axles are made from tubes with a nut welded a one end and a skateboard bearing race over the other side .
The steering arms are handle bar peices cut to fit stem cones and welded to a plate

axles welded to the steerer tubes and painted

since it will be built to abuse and on a low budjet , don't expect a show stopper :bigsmile: That is untill i get it going sideways :nerd::cool2:

Aug 25, 2012
Montréal Canada (Québec)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you covering the rear rubber with something to get it to drift that hard.. really cool engineering. I like how the axles lean into the turn...
Awsome
i indeed have a secret sauce for the back tire:bandit:;)
but there is no need for it in the winter :nerd:

the new steering will be different , the reverse camber when drifting was very hard on the wheels , so this time i made it so it will induce camber on both sides no mater wich way i turn , unlike a car that has strong rims i can't have a typical steering geometry .

the geometry also makes for a big offset between the steering axis and the tire contacting the ground(tire scrub) , but its actually desired cause as soon as it wants to flip it put weight on the outer wheel and automatically want to countersteer .
the down side is bump steer .... but drifting on bumpy roads is not ideal anyways..

Last edited:
Reactions: c1run1 and Chad T
Aug 25, 2012
Montréal Canada (Québec)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things really got interesting @ :38 when you scrubbed the curb n' hit the leaves !:eek:
Of course you had that all carefully planned. :rolleyes:
Double take from passing cyclist was nice touch.:thumbsup:
it was planed to get as close as possible to the curb , but i admit i was a bit scared i would hit the curb on this one , took me a few times to get it dialed in yes:wink1:

Reactions: horsefarmer
Aug 25, 2012
Montréal Canada (Québec)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got the front together ,and add some tires

very pleased it turned out pretty symetrical :)

dug out a old Leader frame i found this summer that will make a good donnor for tubes and drive train , also have that bmx frame , but iam not sure i want to chopp this one up

just for a visual ;) :

the frame be made very low so i can lean sideways without having the head tube in the way so the leader will all be chopped

Aug 25, 2012
Montréal Canada (Québec)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much progress except for today , i needed a 24'' rear wheel before i start anything else ...

as usual , i had hubs and rim hoops , but not the right lenght of spokes to assemble anything ..

i looked at Z-bend spokes and was almost about to make the tool to make them, but it sparked a idea , a U bend would be much easer no?

World premiere ;) (U-spokes) by: 1HP / Simon Laprise
any spoke lenght with a pair of pliers..
Interlocking spokes:nod:

2mm Stainless steal spokes , the 3cross like this twist the 'U' a little bit , but a 2cross patern makes it perfect , the spokes at the first crossing tight each others bend to hold even stronger .. still to be tested , but iam feeling very very confident ... only need cutting pliers and long nose pliers , and spokes too long ... cutting the spoke 5/8 longer than the spoke lenght desired , grab the spoke 1/4 farther than the spoke lenght and bent the spoke around the pliers ..about 3/16 space in between the 'U'
:43::cool2::nerd:

Last edited:

LukeTheJoker

Nov 17, 2012
Broken Hill, Australia
www.ratrodbikes.com
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not much progress except for today , i needed a 24'' rear wheel before i start anything else ...

as usual , i had hubs and rim hoops , but not the right lenght of spokes to assemble anything ..

i looked at Z-bend spokes and was almost about to make the tool to make them, but it sparked a idea , a U bend would be much easer no?

World premiere ;) (U-spokes) by: 1HP / Simon Laprise
any spoke lenght with a pair of pliers..
Interlocking spokes:nod:

2mm Stainless steal spokes , the 3cross like this twist the 'U' a little bit , but a 2cross patern makes it perfect , the spokes at the first crossing tight each others bend to hold even stronger .. still to be tested , but iam feeling very very confident ... only need cutting pliers and long nose pliers , and spokes too long ... cutting the spoke 5/8 longer than the spoke lenght desired , grab the spoke 1/4 farther than the spoke lenght and bent the spoke around the pliers ..about 3/16 space in between the 'U'
:43::cool2::nerd:
Cool thinking! Let us know how it holds up long term!
:thumbsup:

Luke.

Reactions: OneHorsePower
Jan 9, 2013
Los Angeles
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Will chamber come from the spindles? Your last build seemed lean in like a Ford truck I bar linkage....
Always fun engineering with you.. watching..

Aug 25, 2012
Montréal Canada (Québec)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will chamber come from the spindles? Your last build seemed lean in like a Ford truck I bar linkage....
Always fun engineering with you.. watching..
well last one had a somewhat normal lean for regular riding , but was no good when drifting , yes with this spindle angle , it makes both wheels have more camber instead of just both leaning the same way