// Muscle Drifter \\ Reverse trike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to build Version2 of my 'Real' drift trike .
trying to put something together with what i have at hand to have a better than V1, yet not ideal V2

this was V1 all bolt-on and no bearings in the steering
DSC01854a_zpsghnhyriq.jpg

this is V2
already built the steering parts : Hollow axles /steering arms /short head tubes and steerer tubes.
+ trailler mag wheels
DSCN7053_zpsvf2hcmaq.jpg

Axles are made from tubes with a nut welded a one end and a skateboard bearing race over the other side .
The steering arms are handle bar peices cut to fit stem cones and welded to a plate
DSCN7052_zps4wfsu5cf.jpg

axles welded to the steerer tubes and painted
DSCN7054_zpspqqsroak.jpg

since it will be built to abuse and on a low budjet , don't expect a show stopper :bigsmile: That is untill i get it going sideways :nerd::cool2:

Are you covering the rear rubber with something to get it to drift that hard.. really cool engineering. I like how the axles lean into the turn...
Awsome
i indeed have a secret sauce for the back tire:bandit:;)
but there is no need for it in the winter :nerd:

the new steering will be different , the reverse camber when drifting was very hard on the wheels , so this time i made it so it will induce camber on both sides no mater wich way i turn , unlike a car that has strong rims i can't have a typical steering geometry .

the geometry also makes for a big offset between the steering axis and the tire contacting the ground(tire scrub) , but its actually desired cause as soon as it wants to flip it put weight on the outer wheel and automatically want to countersteer .
the down side is bump steer .... but drifting on bumpy roads is not ideal anyways..
geometry_zpsd6oic5ik.jpg

Last edited:
Things really got interesting @ :38 when you scrubbed the curb n' hit the leaves !:eek:
Of course you had that all carefully planned. :rolleyes:
Double take from passing cyclist was nice touch.:thumbsup:
it was planed to get as close as possible to the curb , but i admit i was a bit scared i would hit the curb on this one , took me a few times to get it dialed in yes:wink1:

i got the front together ,and add some tires
DSCN7061_zpsgo6xjehs.jpg

very pleased it turned out pretty symetrical :)
DSCN7062_zpspnfdzazb.jpg

dug out a old Leader frame i found this summer that will make a good donnor for tubes and drive train , also have that bmx frame , but iam not sure i want to chopp this one up
DSCN7056_zpsqr0tn7d4.jpg

just for a visual ;) :
DSCN7064_zpspmqyuncw.jpg

the frame be made very low so i can lean sideways without having the head tube in the way so the leader will all be chopped

This build is extremely awesome, but.... when you stop posting here, we'll all know why........ :43::13:
Thanks!
haha! :bigsmile: yeah .. when 6f under :dontmentionit:.. as long as it happen while iam smiling;)

Not much progress except for today , i needed a 24'' rear wheel before i start anything else ...

as usual , i had hubs and rim hoops , but not the right lenght of spokes to assemble anything ..

i looked at Z-bend spokes and was almost about to make the tool to make them, but it sparked a idea , a U bend would be much easer no?

World premiere ;) (U-spokes) by: 1HP / Simon Laprise
any spoke lenght with a pair of pliers..
Interlocking spokes:nod:
DSCN7070_zps6zafm3v0.jpg
DSCN7066_zpsr02d3ypg.jpg

2mm Stainless steal spokes , the 3cross like this twist the 'U' a little bit , but a 2cross patern makes it perfect , the spokes at the first crossing tight each others bend to hold even stronger .. still to be tested , but iam feeling very very confident ... only need cutting pliers and long nose pliers , and spokes too long ... cutting the spoke 5/8 longer than the spoke lenght desired , grab the spoke 1/4 farther than the spoke lenght and bent the spoke around the pliers ..about 3/16 space in between the 'U'
:43::cool2::nerd:

Last edited:
Not much progress except for today , i needed a 24'' rear wheel before i start anything else ...

as usual , i had hubs and rim hoops , but not the right lenght of spokes to assemble anything ..

i looked at Z-bend spokes and was almost about to make the tool to make them, but it sparked a idea , a U bend would be much easer no?

World premiere ;) (U-spokes) by: 1HP / Simon Laprise
any spoke lenght with a pair of pliers..
Interlocking spokes:nod:
DSCN7070_zps6zafm3v0.jpg
DSCN7066_zpsr02d3ypg.jpg

2mm Stainless steal spokes , the 3cross like this twist the 'U' a little bit , but a 2cross patern makes it perfect , the spokes at the first crossing tight each others bend to hold even stronger .. still to be tested , but iam feeling very very confident ... only need cutting pliers and long nose pliers , and spokes too long ... cutting the spoke 5/8 longer than the spoke lenght desired , grab the spoke 1/4 farther than the spoke lenght and bent the spoke around the pliers ..about 3/16 space in between the 'U'
:43::cool2::nerd:
Cool thinking! Let us know how it holds up long term!
:thumbsup:

Luke.

Got the seat post/bb/down tube welded in place and started on the chainstays but its not joined to the frame yet.
The old crank was junk and stuck so i cut it out and ill use this lighter and bigger one instead.
work gets done pretty fast when you dont have to clean the welds :)
DSCN7071_zpsbrx4q2d1.jpg

Will chamber come from the spindles? Your last build seemed lean in like a Ford truck I bar linkage....
Always fun engineering with you.. watching..

Will chamber come from the spindles? Your last build seemed lean in like a Ford truck I bar linkage....
Always fun engineering with you.. watching..
well last one had a somewhat normal lean for regular riding , but was no good when drifting , yes with this spindle angle , it makes both wheels have more camber instead of just both leaning the same way

day 3

-steerer tube and head tube done!
-Rear triangle with brake boses done! (I may add reinforcements)

the frame still needs a top tube and triangulation in front
DSCN7073_zpshulid1jg.jpg

temporary bars , too high , too wide
DSCN7074_zpstt9selwa.jpg

Latest posts

Back