Muscle Spasm C2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tell ya what, I gotta lotta work to do in 30 days. But... Right now the bottom frame rail is sitting at 4 1/2" off the ground. I can take a little out of the fork spring and lower it a bit more but I'm actually ok with it a little higher that most burritos. Let's me clear curbs and such. Mouse bars are fun, adds to the weird.
f5d526140353655fb1e383bb87731d8e.jpg
355312eae6f7b8517c5403f1378d082f.jpg
3b8d297a3885ab757732b38f40cfa014.jpg
94d9258f3c5a5a6362776791e6a66367.jpg

Sent from the backseat of a crowded clown car

Did a little welding today. Didn't get to the seat stays yet but it'll stand on it's own. 76" axle to axle for you rivet counters. Don't wait for a banana here either...
Blew my timing belt on my truck yesterday so I'll be lucky if I can finish it in the allotted time, but I'm not giving up even though I have no spare change for parts now... Things like a tall gooseneck will have to be fabbed, and that's more work...
805f2820df8c16b190eb37c59c3e4bd0.jpg
b7fdfb7a667bf2462ae5cd668a7281fe.jpg

Does your truck have an interference engine?
Nope. It has a little 4 banger with 8 spark plugs, I believe it's a Toyota design.... My other Ranger did the same thing this past summer. It's a small pain to get in and do it, probably get a new water pump put in too just because it has to come off to do the belt. I'm going to have a garage do it. Maybe plugs and wires too mostly because I have no heated work space...

Carl.

Nope. It has a little 4 banger with 8 spark plugs, I believe it's a Toyota design.... My other Ranger did the same thing this past summer. It's a small pain to get in and do it, probably get a new water pump put in too just because it has to come off to do the belt. I'm going to have a garage do it. Maybe plugs and wires too mostly because I have no heated work space...

Carl.

Not great, but better than an interference engine which would probably have you looking for a new head, if not a whole engine I suppose...

Probably cost around 500 bucks which isn't great when parts should only be about150 bucks...

So I guess I better get going on this bike. I finished tacking the seat stays. The rear triangle is mostly just tacked to the front clip but I can stand on it and it's not sagging so.... woohoo!
f3d3d8c55118c2b4f72a21c8166b1c9e.jpg
7d2a60bbc2836ce63376f5fabd225ec1.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
Cut seat post down and dug out a funky lime green falcon derailleur... No snow here in Illinois on January 3rd. Oh! 30 days left in the build off...
494d4008ff3aa634bfd6ca5ba914bf9a.jpg
2e542e41d2a33a6edfa33d42453bce4b.jpg
548fef9ab822b52115d2caefa78efb73.jpg

Punchlist:
Finish welds...
Including new bottom bracket.
Finalize seat position.
Fabricate a tall gooseneck/steering column and fab the front steering gear assembly.
Decide on jackshaft or idler gears... and mount it on bike.
Scrounge up some chain.
Create some precise tabs for rear axle to go thru.
Shifter and cable and WHOA!
Add some brakes!

Carl.

2.3 ranger dual plug head was just an emissions change from the original 2.3 Lima. Forgot I wasn't on one of the automotive forums reading the truck talk. The rear wheel looks awesome, I've never seen a tandem done like this

Last edited:
Put a kickstand on. Wasn't on the punch list but I hate leaning my bike on things or throwing it on the ground. Pretty well balanced for now but the crank, bb, and steering mechanism will probably tip the scales forward. Rear wheel is set up for a disc brake, wish I had one...
bb1f7dbb2a804eddeb4ea6bcc42a004e.jpg
034ac63c42fce2ff5ea60945db31517d.jpg
c31e54bdc31be68bad534666491778f2.jpg

2.3 ranger dual plug head was just an emissions change from the original 2.3 Lima. Forgot I wasn't on one of the automotive forums reading the truck talk. The rear wheel looks awesome, I've never seen a tandem done like this
All good. Was a rumor I'd heard yrs ago. It figures Ford came up with it. They've always got a better idea [emoji2957]
Check out my Harlequin T, it's an older tandem I converted into a burrito "ish" cruiser a while back and is a favorite ride of mine. It also has the "rear" steer I'll be featuring on Muscle Spasm.
c539bc27755bd79d32566aa1979893ec.jpg

Bikes coming along nicely. Nice lines, stance. Good luck on the truck engine front. Can't offer any help there. :(

I've got two small issues here with the steering, which works fine but...

The single turnbuckle tensions fine but even tho I can center the fork, the actual gear mount is welded to the stem and its just a hair off center. A second turnbuckle on the opposing side will allow for that.

The surface that it turns on (two flat washers) in the steering column is under the gear mount, on top of the old seat tube, allows for some wiggle. I need to weld the column solid there and then split the column further down inside the tube. I'll also need a couple washers that will fit inside the tube with holes large enough for the threaded rod, which also needs to be longer now. The far end of it, is a pinch bolt that secures the whole thing in the tube.

Then it's on to the drivetrain...

Carl.

Got parts?
On my way back from picking up by a used disc and mechanical caliper for the 26 x 4 rear wheel...
Rebuilt the steering column today.
So far I have the steering and the stopping sorted out.
Still working on the go part of this bike...

Probably get a better caliper later on but this will work to begin with.
87ad1297054a331301fd9a1197a56b8a.jpg

So it clears everything fine and the mount should fit no problemo. I also started on the drivetrain. No pics of that just yet.
ec254813cfc1e52e2eb74f9662514e0a.jpg

If you look you can see I swapped the dropout sections, left for right, effectively making the inside dimension wider. I had some concern that the disc would clear but there's almost a finger width in there. Plenty of room.
773d2528b3ce64209af50344019bbdad.jpg

I do gotta fab some little plates to take up some of the length of my thru axle skewer. I'm not gonna just use washers, this kind hub uses a thru axle skewer. No dropouts on a thru axle frame and the OCC dropouts were too slim as they were. So I drilled a 12mm hole at the inside of the drops, but there's a little slop in the thickness of the frame and the holes themselves. So the plates with precise holes will be welded in place so the thru axle skewer won't move around... fun, fun...

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back