Mustang revived.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speedwell is an Aussie brand from way back. They are a bit of a classic here. This one I picked up from a local guy along with 5 other vintage bikes. The frame is fairly rusty, it still solid as far as I can tell, just years in the rain I guess.

Banana seats aren’t cheap to come by , but happened upon the modern pink Mambo below for less than the cost of a saddle so figured I could just use the parts.

I used a grinder to cut off the rusted chain before realising I needed photos, which is why the cranks aren’t on properly.

The bottom bracket was completely dry, but in reasonable condition so it’s been cleaned greased and reassembled. The wheels are pretty much toast.
43CCFDED-F5A7-49D8-A888-B13767D78B5C.jpeg

DF8C122D-2DDB-4538-BDD4-6825B288C1A3.jpeg

I pulled the wheels, saddle and sissy bar off the pink bike to switch. Then the old speedwell gave me a surprise, water pipe and a nail for a seatpost. Now I’m going to have to hunt out the correct size post as it’s a lot smaller than all the ones in my box of bits. Still, that part of the fun of rebuilding.

4F5880A4-38EA-45DD-9B3F-971DC7C5AA23.jpeg

I really should be finishing other builds, but this ones been looking at me from the yard and I recently sold one of my other dragsters (Aussie for muscle bikes) so have space in the bike rack.

Is that a long frame Speedwell or a mid? Hard to tell from the pics.
Seat pole is probably meant to be a 22mm, early BMX poles were the same, I have a Repco girls Dragster out the back with a long 22mm in it I seem to remember, let me know if you can't find something. :thumbsup:

Thanks Luke. I ferreted around some more and found it is a 22.2mm post by check with the post off my other build. Made me think, that’s also the diameter of some handlebars so found some that will fit. Not sure if it will be strong enough though.

It is a fairly long frame, top tube is around 53cm. Previously when I’ve searched I haven’t been able to determine what is a long frame and what isn’t. My other frame (my childhood bike) is around 45cm. Any idea what would be considered a long frame?

Thanks Luke. I ferreted around some more and found it is a 22.2mm post by check with the post off my other build. Made me think, that’s also the diameter of some handlebars so found some that will fit. Not sure if it will be strong enough though.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alumini...ar-6082-T6-Car-Part-Welding-Boat/303094475095
;)
It is a fairly long frame, top tube is around 53cm. Previously when I’ve searched I haven’t been able to determine what is a long frame and what isn’t. My other frame (my childhood bike) is around 45cm. Any idea what would be considered a long frame?
Never measured one, only ever seen one long frame in the flesh, and it was very obviously a long frame.

Latest posts

Back