My Adult-sized Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter grew out of her mountain bike, so I turned it into a Stingray using seat and handlebar parts from a modern (and cheap) Chinese Schwinn stingray. I wanted to get the proportions, look, and feel close to a 1970s Schwinn Stingray fastback but full-sized for me to ride and using modern components like indexed gears and V-brakes. I think I've succeeded. Because it started life as a mountain bike, the handling is great. Rear/front weight distribution is 70/30 so you can slam on the brakes without going over the handlebars, so great traffic bike, and easy to pop wheelies. I was pleased when I managed to replicate the look of the tires as well, with the awesome Jerald Sulky on the back and Kojak on the front. It's a joy to ride, and really eats up the miles. The only drawback is getting stopped constantly by people who want to take a picture of it!

Attachments

• IMAG0173.jpg
    IMAG0173.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 1,475
I have been meaning to do a similar project. You definitely inspired me to pursue it! Are those 24 inch or 26 inch tires?

Great inspiration, as I'm currently working on a 26" stingray fastback project myself using a '66 Schwinn Tiger frame

I finally got mine done too. I went with a Stik-shift replica with a shimano 8 speed hub and homemade suicide shifter made from a twist grip.
The frame and forks were from a '66 Schwinn Tiger. It actually rides pretty well, quite comfortable.

IMG_5939.JPG
IMG_5938.JPG

IMG_5940.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks, I think it's called Coppertone, original from '66.
Robmac very nice bike. Could you do a breakdown of the shifter build? That is WAY COOL! I would like to fab up something like that for a Adult Sized Stingray I am wanting to put together. The real Stik Shifters have gotten too expensive.

Latest posts

Back