My brother's bike build (FINISHED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I posted in fresh finds when I picked up the '69 Schwinn Stardust and also showed the '74 Fastback that I picked up last year. This is a project I have wanted to do for a long time.
Rewind to December 1966 my brother got this brand new 1966 Schwinn Stingray Fastback 5 speed bike. Violet with white seat and he loved that bike. Once he got older and bought a car the bike went to my other brother. Some time during his possession of it the shifter got broke and it became a single speed bike when dad took it to the Schwinn dealer and bought a coaster brake wheel for it. I ended up with the bike and stripped it down and made a chopper out of it.
Now I have acquired parts to make it close to original as I can afford to do. It won't have ALL og Schwinn parts and it won't be a 5 speed either. I would have to spend $$$ to get it to original.
Simple 3 speed SA hub and a NOS 333 shifter, powder coated frame, and a lot of polishing of chrome.
20160106_152131.jpeg

DSCN2298.jpg

Chopper days
66%20StingRay%20Chopper0003.jpg

THANKS, goes to East Coast Custom Coating, West Berlin, NJ for a superb job on the color!
DSCN2302.jpg

Autosol chrome polish is amazing. Schwinn had the best chrome, too!
20170117_141038.jpg

20170117_142504.jpeg

Last edited:
I got the Stardust stripped down and have been cleaning parts most of the day. Mailman dropped off my Fastback decals and pedals I ordered. I put the head set and badge on.
DSCN2304.jpg

Spent all of last week out of state. I at least took the rims with me and cleaned them up while I had all of the guts soaking in mineral spirits. There are a few parts to assemble on a S-A 3 speed hub.
DSCN2305.jpg

DSCN2306.jpg

HAHA, I have that exact same set of wooden folding tables..............the last time I used one was in November when I rebuilt a Bendix Red Band for the MBBO.

3 Speed Schwinn shifter acquired. Needs a little bit of cleaning.
DSCN2320.jpg

The differences between Schwinn's 3 and 5 speed shifters is evident in these pictures. Several more parts to the 3 speed. (probably why it cost me more and is the 3 speed a bit more rare?)
DSCN2324_1.jpg

The main body of the shifter is the major difference. There is a round hole at the bottom right where the spring cup, spring and bearing goes. On the left side, near the cable guide, is a small square hole that keeps the spring tension lever in place. Also there is a "3" stamped on the body.
DSCN2323.jpg

DSCN2325.jpg

The 3 speed is a bit of work to reassemble where as the 5 speed is quiet simple.
A dab of white grease is required on the moving parts to keep them moving smoothly.
DSCN2328.jpg

Looking sweet :thumbsup:

I know I have quiet a few aftermarket pieces, and a few reissued pieces. The bike is looking good IMO but I would like an opinion on this choice.
I bought a non-Schwinn muscle bike yesterday ONLY because of the seat that was on it. Looking at the pictures it was not apparent of the minor imperfections but I think it cleaned up rather well for this project. It has some wear and a tear where it is not seen unless your very short. Let me know what you think.
DSCN2343.jpg

DSCN2347.jpg

DSCN2344.jpg

DSCN2345.jpg

DSCN2348.jpg

For me the OG Schwinn seats are the way to go even if there a little worn, after market banana seats just have something off about them.

The gray brake cable I ordered arrived yesterday. (THANKs, Junky Rusty Bikes) The OG brakes were in pretty good shape but the springs, and assorted nuts/bolts were pretty rusty. So, I had one brand new 1080 on hand for the front and I ordered another 1080 for the back from "Pork Chop". Using the guts from those I was able to reassemble the pair after a good cleaning and they look brand new. I left the plastic spacer (instead of the thin steel washer) for a smoother action.
Two things that would not transfer from the 1080's to the 810's are the cable adjusting lugs and the cable stop lugs. I had some new stops and just cleaned up the adjusters.
DSCN2351.jpg

DSCN2350.jpg

I added a LED light to the back. I made the bracket from a piece of 3/4" aluminum flat bar. I made it to only attach on one side because one side of the back of the light has a rubber boot to access the USB recharging port.
DSCN2372.jpg

DSCN2370.jpg

Latest posts

Back