my fab find: bicycle sidecar.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked this at an area salvage yard. It appears to be a bicycle side car, left hand mount. If anyone knows if this might be a mass produced item, please let me know. It looks one off handcrafted; but the work was well done and well thought out.
sidecar001.jpg

the canopy collapses and folds back, like a convertible. That is a 26" wheel on the left.
sidecar003.jpg

(the motorcycle wheel is on there so it can be rolled around; it comes off when fastened to a bike.)
sidecar002.jpg

the arm sticking out appears to mount up to the head tube on a bike.
sidecar004.jpg

It has a trunk area for storage!
sidecar005.jpg

Here is a mockup of what it should look like when hooked up to a bicycle:
sidecar009.jpg

sidecar008.jpg

This project should occupy my weekends for the rest of the summer. :)

Dont know any info on who made it, but I know those was used at resorts and boardwalks back in the day. Thats a pretty awesome find, I would fix it up and use it.

I'd like to have plans for one to make from stich and glue with a simple frame. Maybe find an ikea metal head board for the front.

How does it attach to bike at the axle?

What a FUN project!

I'm gingerly disassembling it to determine the engineering behind it. It essentially is a wood box mounted to a frame on a set of shocks, on the metal chassis. The two connection points are 3/4" or 1 " iron pipe, and in the trunk there were an assortment of homemade attachment adaptors. I'm now mixing and matching to see what actually works.

Artistically, I was thinking wild west theme, but then I would need a ratty Rollfast hopalong cassidy bike for it. Alternatively, a steampunk type theme comes to mind.

Latest posts

Back