My J.C. Higgins Flightliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I received one exactly like it brand-new for my 9th birthday in 1961. There's a picture in the family album when I got it. The memories of that bike and growing up in a far distant time and place!

Such a beautiful bike! I'm sorry, but I just have to say that if you are ever thinking about parting ways with it, please let me know. Even if you know where I could find another '61 Flightliner like it in any kind of reasonable condition, I'd love to have some leads. Arlington Heights, IL? Used to live there!

Best wishes,

Fritz

Thanks for all the nice comments :D This bike is an amazing survivor. It had been in the care of another middle-aged guy for over ten years when I bought it. It had obviously been kept indoors for its entire fifty years. It was about 98% complete and original. I did a complete nut and bolt disassembly and overhauled all the bearings, cleaning everything meticulously as I put it back together. My initial plan was to repaint the tank and rack, but it was so nice I decided to leave it original for now. I'm working on the lights and horn now. The battery carriers were ruined from leaking batteries many years ago.

You do have a time machine!

You should add "SUNGLASSES REQUIRED" to your title!!! 8) :shock:

I wish I had seen this picture before I guessed what the bike looked like before J/K here is mine
7288A82F-D183-43AA-9329-E5ECEB9BA8CA-1418-000000A93E1D45E2.jpg

AA3DDB70-F712-4C9C-98D9-45FBB73C90BD-1418-000000A8037AB630.jpg

SlyRed...nice murray built tanklight example of an all original JC Higgins. Yours is in great condition. One day I'll add one of these to my chromed tanklight collection. Beware of the "finger pointers"
I have a thread (photo shoot) on the other site...Cabe "lets see your chromed spaceliner styled bike".
Please post this perfect example of the Flightliner there for those that need a picture reference of the OG condition.
Thanks
JD

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back